PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an OEM or Aftermarket Tire Carrier

How Much!!
10-23-2004, 11:28 PM
I would like to get my spare out of my cargo area, and I’m in the market for a tire carrier. Who has the best one? GM’s OEM product, that the dealer offered? Or, an after market product?

Also, are they hard to install? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

How Much!!
I would like to get my spare out of my cargo area, and I’m in the market for a tire carrier. Who has the best one? GM’s OEM product, that the dealer offered? Or, an after market product?

Thanks.

How Much!!

Thanks.

intimidator
10-24-2004, 10:27 AM
i've installed 2 sma tire carriers.don't have any experience with the others offered out there. the sma requires you to drill and tap 2 holes behind the rigt side "d" link. thats about the hardest part of the install.also you get a jack bracket to secure the jack after you remove the existing tire mount.just make sure the tire carrier is lined up correctly so the "t " pin can be slid in and out with minimum effort.

markw
10-24-2004, 10:55 AM
I have a different carrier which I really like. It has a cross brace (from tow loop to tow loop) which stops it sagging and squeaking, which apparently can be an issue with the SMA carrier. It also has a grease zerk fitting for easy lubrication and a lockable handle. I purchased with my truck new (as an option), but I see the same one is available here with installation instruction: http://www.premierhummer.com/hummer_h2_spare_tire_carrier.html

Mark.

How Much!!
10-24-2004, 09:26 PM
Anybody sell this things in the DC area, and do installs...with H2 experience?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markw:
I have a different carrier which I really like. It has a cross brace (from tow loop to tow loop) which stops it sagging and squeaking, which apparently can be an issue with the SMA carrier. It also has a grease zerk fitting for easy lubrication and a lockable handle. I purchased with my truck new (as an option), but I see the same one is available here with installation instruction: http://www.premierhummer.com/hummer_h2_spare_tire_carrier.html

Mark. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How Much!!
10-25-2004, 12:42 AM
"PITA?"

What if I just carry a 4x4 repair kit? I have the air susp. option, thus a compressor is in the back.

Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alec W:
I had one for 18 months (I got it new with the truck). I look it off about 2 months ago and am pissed I left it on as long as I did. They really are a PITA, and get in the way.

I put my spare on my GOBI rack. If I had no rack I would leave it at home and only use it for long trips or wheeling. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

intimidator
10-25-2004, 08:35 AM
i did the same thing. left the spare at home and carry a repair kit but just didn't have that sense of security without the spare so i put a carrier on. if you have a blowout the tow truck is going to charge big bucks to flatbed and aaa you will be on the side of the road for hours. the tire carrier is worth every penny when it's a holiday and you are sitting on the side of the highway because you blew a tire and it's 22 degrees out.