PDA

View Full Version : Remote interference w/ onstar ?

Centerfire
01-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Would a UHF frequency remote cause any problems with a ONstar, or would onstar cause any problems with the functioning of the UHF frequency remote? I'm planing in putting the remotes circuit board on Gobi rack of the H2 slightly behind the sunroof.

Mike

Centerfire
01-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Would a UHF frequency remote cause any problems with a ONstar, or would onstar cause any problems with the functioning of the UHF frequency remote? I'm planing in putting the remotes circuit board on Gobi rack of the H2 slightly behind the sunroof.

Mike

Klaus
01-24-2004, 04:01 PM
Onstar uses AMPS cell phone freqs and GPS freqs.

Cell phones: 824 to 849 megahertz
Global Positioning System: 1,227 and 1,575 megahertz

Also see:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone5.htm

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/radio-spectrum1.htm

Klaus

Rare 2003 H2 with UM8 Integrated Navigation Radio http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
Skull & Bones Member since 2003

Dick Renaud
01-24-2004, 04:43 PM
Centerfire,

The frequency of the remote transmitter is 433.7 mhz.
There should be no interference.
It is possible to get a harmonic (multiplication freq) at close range with enough transmit power. But, unless you are going to hold the transmitter up to the onstar antenna I don't believe you could create interference. Even then the transmit power of the remote is so low I don't think it would be a problem. The harmonic at x2 would be 867. or 868 and should not create a problem unless you were transmitting at 50 to 100 watts.

Centerfire
01-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Thanks for answering it both ways. Simple ( Won't interfer) and the educated ong version..for those who could understnad it..

Thanks again Dick.

Mike

Dick Renaud
01-25-2004, 02:13 AM
Sorry about the techno-babble. I spent to many years playing with radios. Ham, CB, Police and Fire. Will try to limit my answers to under four words from now on.

DRTYFN
01-25-2004, 07:21 AM
Dick,
Which reasonably priced mobile scanner would you recommend for listening to police/fire/ect?

S&B Member since '03

Dick Renaud
01-25-2004, 10:06 PM
The only non-commercial scanner that I have had much luck with are the Bearcats. I use high price commercial universal trunked scanners in my work, but they are 10 to 20k and not available to the general public because of the restricted frequencies they can tune.
The biggest problem with scanners is antennas. Using a broadband antenna that is recommended means that the antenna is tuned to a freguency in the middle of all the bands the scanner covers. That makes for really bad reception. You need to have the antenna tuned to the frequency you are listening to. There are tunable antennas, but again very high priced.

I would recommend for general use a Bearcat or Cobra handheld scanner with trunking if you can find one.

Dick Renaud
01-25-2004, 10:15 PM
FYI Bearcat is owned by Uniden now. If you go to this site, click online catalog and select scanners they have a complete list of current Uniden BC(Bearcat scanners}. They also sell the broadband antennas.

Dick Renaud
01-25-2004, 10:28 PM
A word of caution about scanners. In many states it is illegal to have a scanner in the car or to have a handheld scanner in a car or on foot. You can use them at home, just not mobile. Check with your state police.
Also, it is a federal crime to print or verbalize anything you hear on a radio frequency. So if you hear anything exciting don't post it or talk to anyone about it.

Just don't want any of my buds to get free vations on the goverment. They won't let you wheel "Inside"

Klaus
01-26-2004, 01:02 AM
One loophole about the ban on scanners in vehicles is that there is usually an exception for ham radio license holders.

Be sure to check your local laws.

Klaus

Rare 2003 H2 with UM8 Integrated Navigation Radio http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
Skull & Bones Member since 2003