PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else putting a ham radio or cb in their rig?

TonkaH2
12-14-2002, 11:38 PM
I've seen how Chuck Kopelson did his in his H1, but it'll be different for the '2. I'm especially concerned about mounting the antennas where I won't shear 'em off in the brush, but still get a good signal.

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order
"I think I can make it. D'OH!"

TonkaH2
12-14-2002, 11:38 PM
I've seen how Chuck Kopelson did his in his H1, but it'll be different for the '2. I'm especially concerned about mounting the antennas where I won't shear 'em off in the brush, but still get a good signal.

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order

Arizona Hummerboy
12-15-2002, 05:40 PM
I was thinking on putting in a ham or cb into my H2, A frind has a H1 and he is using a hand held ham radio, he thinks that is the best way do do it, you can get out of the vehicle to watch the action of other vehicle, and still be able to know what is going on over the radio.
I am now checking things out, I also working on getting second H2 from dealer and on the road, frist H2 lasted 3 months and was totalled out in auto accident this week.

KAC
12-15-2002, 11:47 PM
I got a Cobra handheld as recommended by the local Hummer group. It comes with a car adapter or uses batteries. Used it for the first time yesterday and it worked well even without an external antenna, although I plan to have one installed - just haven't had time since my truck is so new.

Kim

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

SJ
12-16-2002, 04:46 PM
Yes, on the CB - I see it as a must for trail caravans. I'm installing my off-road lights this weekend and a CB radio should be my next and last modification (aside from Mud Tires at some point).

I have used and like Cobra base units before. Now I'm leaning towards a handheld unit that has the capabilities that KAC mentions.

TS
12-16-2002, 09:48 PM
I like the idea of a handheld. Both Midland and Cobra oth look good, and for around $80 reasonably priced. Radio Shack had a "Through the glass" antenna that I am considering..but, I am going to hold off to see if an external antenna is absolutely necessary for what I plan to do.

Dan
12-17-2002, 10:23 AM
I can't seem to find the link but I saw a H1 website where the guy mounted 2 disc shaped antennas to the roof of his truck.

They looked like this & he painted them to match:

http://www.astronantennas.com/astrondocs/-d.html

Just need to figure out which one you need...
- Dan

TonkaH2
12-17-2002, 11:06 AM
I'm no antenna expert, but those look like very specific application antennas that wouldn't fit the bill as well as a whip for Ham/CB use. For FRS though, probably; but they might be more directional.

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order
www.sunspotnatural.com (http://www.sunspotnatural.com)

TonkaH2
12-17-2002, 11:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TS:
I like the idea of a handheld. Both Midland and Cobra oth look good, and for around $80 reasonably priced. Radio Shack had a "Through the glass" antenna that I am considering..but, I am going to hold off to see if an external antenna is absolutely necessary for what I plan to do.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are great for ouside the vehicle, but normally handheld CB's just won't transmit far through the frame of a truck -especially one with as much metal as the H2. Also, I'm not sure on the wattage of those, but there's a lot of people concerned about what effect those frequencies might have on your noggin when the antenna is right next to your head. Ham radios are the same way, and can have more power. The jury's still out, but I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and go with an external antenna. Of course, from a communication point of view it's a 'no brainer'. . . [sorry, I couldn't resist.]

We have used both, and if you have a group it's nice to be able to talk to the vehicle when you're away from it if you have a second unit. If you get a external mount antenna, try to work with someone who knows what they're doing. A wrong or improperly tuned antenna can make your radio worthless [and annoy everyone else around with noise.]

With the FRS there's less controversy about head health and you won't notice much difference in or out of the vehicle, because the frequencies are different and aren't blocked by the frame. [Common Ham frequncies like 2 meter are the same way, but again there's the concern of your brain cells if you go highter power.]

Whatever you get, test it out and make sure it works in your Hummer and you'll be able to get in on the party line! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order

[This message was edited by TonkaH2 on December 17, 2002 at 06:02 AM.]

TonkaH2
12-26-2002, 11:49 AM
I've seen some of the GMRS/FRS handhelds out there, and you might want to consider those if you're getting a handheld FRS. They are higher power and you get better range with GMRS for not much more. Plus, some of them come with rechargable batteries -a big plus. You're supposed to get a license for GMRS, but I'm wonder how long that will last, as I doubt the FCC has the time to police it. [Not that I'd EVER advocate breaking the law mind you. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif] In any case there's no test for it, you just apply.

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order

BKLYNH2
12-30-2002, 12:37 AM
Since most outing groups seem to require a CB I was going to get a hanheld radio. I was hoping that this would be good enough. They don't seem to be less expensive but at least they don't require an installation. I don't think the exposure to radio waves is that much of a concern since I would probably only use it for such outings. The only thing that I am concerned about is the intereference of the H2 itself,issue raised. Can anyone comment from real life experience how well they will work?

TonkaH2
12-30-2002, 03:36 PM
Here's a better examination of radios, thanks to a couple of folks the H2ML. One added note -from personal experience: yes, you need an external antenna on a handheld CB. You can also use a mobile unit that does not need to be permanently moutned -Steve, have you got a kink for the one with all the controls in the handset?

Here's what 2 smart people had to say:

In response to your post about CB vs FRS, I've always found that the CB seems to be the "universal" mode of communication when out on the trail. I don't know about the rest of the country, but here (Southern US), channel 4 is the recognized channel for 4x4 traffic. I can go to a new area and always find or communicate with others on the trail easily. The CB never runs out of batteries, and they seem to have a much longer range with a mounted antenna. The definately have more power. Also I consider any emergency situation...I would rather have a CB than my FRS if I REALLY needed lifesaving assistance.

I also own about a dozen of the handheld FRS radios for events, and really enjoy them as well. The FRS radios seem more private, and certainly have more channels. You can put them in your pocket, or clip them to a backpack.

Pros for CB
- Always available, uses vehicle battery
- Longer Range
- Use for other information, highway use, traffic
- Universal, most people offroad already have them
- Channel 4 is well known for 4x4 traffic
- Many CB's come with other features, weather band, etc
- Emergency personel monitor chanel 9 much of the time

Cons for CB
- Limited channels
- Possible profanity
- Higher cost
- Installation required

-----------

Pros for FRS
- Small, portable
- Inexpensive
- More private communications
- No installation

Cons for FRS
- Only .5 watt
- May not work in wilderness areas beyond one mile
- Dependent on batteries
- No antenna option
- Not good for communications in an emergency

I personally would not go without my CB for safety reasons alone. If I am in trouble, I have a better chance of contacting someone/anyone with a CB. If I am in a small group, and want more private communications, I'll choose to carry the FRS. My opinion is that a CB should be standard equipment when you go offroad, an FRS is nice to have.

Does anyone know af any hybrid of the two, or something better alltogether?

Hope this helps!

Travis

http://www.AdventureTeam.com
One word: range.

When you're on the trail you need range. Trying to talk to
other groups that are around curves, through trees, behind mountains,
back in town or at base camp, etc...requires range. Only way to achieve
maximum range is lower frequency, more power and external antenna.
When/if FRS exceeds the range and versatility of CB, then you may see
them used more on the trails. For now there really is no reasonable
alternative except for commercial bands or radios requiring a license.

Oh sure, GMRS...supposed 5 mile range. That's across flat
land/water with no obstructions. That means the unit is not operated
from within a Hummer /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I love technology as much as the next person, but sometimes you
just have to go with the tried and true to best accomplish your goals.
Which in this case is range (not to mention talking with other people,
who are much more likely to have a CB).

Also, less channels may seem like a limitation, but I've found
40 is plenty for running trails and having a "private" channel for the
day. Besides, would you rather flip through 40 channels and ask for
help on each, or 420 combinations of channel and sub-frequency on an FRS
radio (not to mention scrambling)?

Personally I carry two FRS radios in the truck so that driver
and spotter/passenger can communicate when one is out of the truck and
also for communicating with people who forgot a CB. Not to mention FRS
are GREAT for hiking! I have a CB I use for all other communications
and have an external antenna for it. I plan on buying an iCom Ham radio
that can do CB, FRS and a bunch of other frequencies in one radio. Cost
prohibitive and requires special install, but that's for another day /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Chris

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order