PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove the dash?

Alex
11-14-2002, 04:41 PM
Has anyone revomed the dash to access the radio? If so, how? I am thinking of adding some subs and want to tap into the Bose wiring.

Alex
11-14-2002, 04:41 PM
Has anyone revomed the dash to access the radio? If so, how? I am thinking of adding some subs and want to tap into the Bose wiring.

Texas Red
11-14-2002, 08:01 PM
Here's some info I got to a similar question on the H2 Mail List. I can't vouch personally:

<< In order to take the center console bezel out, you need to remove the gear shifter with a star allen key and then the black housing cover that covers the gear selector case will pull up. There are three clips that hold it on.

You will then need to open the center console storage compartment and remove the screws to remove the center console and gear box compartment from the center of the H2.

Sometimes it might work best if you remove the passenger front seat. More room to work then. There are two more screws that hold the center console where the Onstar is located below. You will also need to disconnect the three cigarette/cigar/12V plug ins. That should get you access to the BOSE radio area.

REMEMBER, the BOSE radio is programmed with the VIN # to your H2 and it will not work in any other vehicle except that one. Also, you will need to get some modulators to control the BOSE speakers.

The Brain box is located under the drivers seat and also up under the dash above the emergency brake.

Tearing apart the H2 for an auto starter and other audio and video equipment sure was an experience.

I believe if you call your HUMMER tech they should be able to e-mail you or fax you drawings and instructions on how that dash and center console come out. At least, I was able to get them when I was putting in the autostarter,etc. >>

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

Doug
11-15-2002, 12:09 PM
Unless you are experienced I recomend a dealer install. One word of advice. When re-installing the center dash, do not use a power driver for those long allen screws. My installer snapped them through the plastic. Needless to say he has ordered me a new part.
Careful!!!

Alex
11-15-2002, 12:46 PM
Thanks!!!

Kühl Carbon
01-03-2003, 07:43 PM
The info posted by Texas red is accurate. Is is an ordeal, and the toughest part is probably finding those two blind screws forward in the console that attach to the dash.

Doug is also correct as those fasteners should be hand torqued. The spec is 6.0 Nm I believe but I would still run them down by hand.

Doug, I hope you mean he had to order a new trim part and not a new carrier. An IP carrier re4placement would be a nightmare and cost big $$$.

***BLANK*** at this time http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif