PDA

View Full Version : Four Wheeling In H2

Arizona Hummerboy
11-26-2002, 05:35 AM
Well everyone I just had to do it, I took my H2 off road today, and what a trip I had. Frist of all I am out in the desert north of Cave Creek Arizona some were just west of Bartlett Lake, well the road I took turn into a motorcycle and hourse trail, with a lot of steep hills and most of the trails were wash out with some nice deep ruts.I will say that the Hummer H2 does live up to it's name, I could not beleved how far back in on a motorcycle trail I could get the Hummer, the best part of my trip was when I found a nice hill were I was able to stand the Hummer strait up and down. I put the front tires at the top of the hill and my bumper was touching the ground, I did have to remove my trailer hich for this trick. I will say with Pride the H2 does live up to it's name HUMMER. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And I did get pictures of it. I will try to get them on for you all.

Arizona Hummerboy
11-26-2002, 05:35 AM
Well everyone I just had to do it, I took my H2 off road today, and what a trip I had. Frist of all I am out in the desert north of Cave Creek Arizona some were just west of Bartlett Lake, well the road I took turn into a motorcycle and hourse trail, with a lot of steep hills and most of the trails were wash out with some nice deep ruts.I will say that the Hummer H2 does live up to it's name, I could not beleved how far back in on a motorcycle trail I could get the Hummer, the best part of my trip was when I found a nice hill were I was able to stand the Hummer strait up and down. I put the front tires at the top of the hill and my bumper was touching the ground, I did have to remove my trailer hich for this trick. I will say with Pride the H2 does live up to it's name HUMMER. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And I did get pictures of it. I will try to get them on for you all.

SJ
11-26-2002, 09:25 PM
Post some of those pics when you get a chance. Nice to hear another H2 is being used off-road; I was beginning to think that we would be outnumbered by the H2s with 20" rims and street tires.

When you say desert, my mind is set on sand dunes. Is the terrain sand or mostly dirt?

Arizona Hummerboy
11-27-2002, 12:12 AM
The desert is dirt,with big wash out rut;s from the rain storms form time to time

Zing
11-27-2002, 12:23 AM
Oooo! I would love to see that picture!

HummerGirl
11-27-2002, 02:33 AM
On my Hummer Happening, I spoke with my service manager about the h2 in the sand.

He stated that they were instructed to advise folks to be wary of sand due to getting sand in the bearings and risking a $300-400 fix.

What do you fellas think???? Now he was talking about the extremely fine sand, not the sand like at the beach. He said there was a difference and I can see his point, but anyone had a problem with this in the past with Hummers or other 4 x 4s???

~amy
Reality is merely a crutch for those with a broken imagination.~anon.

http://www.CelestialBath.com

H2Gal
11-27-2002, 03:09 AM
Since we have been going to sand for years i can say that it gets into more than just bearings.

Steve R
11-27-2002, 03:36 AM
Hey H2-gal, I live near you!...anytime you wanna do some offroading, let's get together and make an H2 group and have some fun!

As for sand. Sand is abrasive and nasty...and the finer stuff is nastier. I frankly don't get much of a kick out of playing in the dunes...I like the hills, forest, meadows and trails; the scenery changes and it's just more fun.

CJ
11-27-2002, 03:45 AM
The bearings in all newer vehicles are sealed. I have repacked the bearings on my 72 Scout a dozen times and NEVER seen any sand or dirt in them and they are not sealed. I doubt very much if you would ever see enough sand wheelin to cause you any worry. Go ahead and have at it.

Steve R
11-27-2002, 04:10 AM
cool news....thanks CJ!

HummerGirl
11-27-2002, 10:15 AM
can see the sand sparkling from the road like Giant Diamonds... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

(that's what I thought the whole time as I was listening to the service mananger)

Thanks for input!

~amy
Reality is merely a crutch for those with a broken imagination.~anon.

http://www.CelestialBath.com

Hummie2
11-27-2002, 01:44 PM
Sand shouldn't be any bigger problem than mud. I would much rather clean a rig up after a day of playing in the sand versus a day off road in the mud. Watery mud gets everywhere and stays wet for ever causing rust and corrosion of all parts. Give me the sand and a fun day of desert running anytime. Sure, sand will find its way into unwanted places, but thats just part of off road maintenance.

Don

11-27-2002, 02:24 PM
Thanks to everyone who has read my posts and put even a drop of thought into it,

Steve, I appreciate your attitude,

The Bicyclist