PDA

View Full Version : Strange Idle Noise? Or not?

Bill Kervaski
11-30-2002, 12:30 AM
Suddenly, I have a strange noise while idle in Park. Just a very low rattle. It may be absolutely normal and I may be paranoid since my Transfer Case incident. Any of you experience a strange low volume idle vibration noise? Sounds like something is loose.

- Bill

Bill Kervaski
11-30-2002, 12:30 AM
Suddenly, I have a strange noise while idle in Park. Just a very low rattle. It may be absolutely normal and I may be paranoid since my Transfer Case incident. Any of you experience a strange low volume idle vibration noise? Sounds like something is loose.

- Bill

HeeHaw
11-30-2002, 03:07 AM
I had the same thing with my Tahoe.

Problem: Catalic Converter (unsure about spelling) It was rattling and needed to be tightened. That would explain why is now occurring and wasn't before. They had to loosen your exhaust to get at the trans I think?... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Just a thought

HeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Steve R
11-30-2002, 06:39 AM
Problem: your radio is not loud enough!

It'll either get better and go away, or get worse. Either way, your covered!

Bill Kervaski
11-30-2002, 12:19 PM
Yea, figured as much. CC. I'll take it in and let them look at it.

- Bill

Bill Kervaski
11-30-2002, 03:53 PM
After a phone conversation, the dealer's service department claims it's probably a loose firewall on the muffler. They have had many H2's with this easily *adjustable* problem.

Any takers?

- Bill

Hummie2
11-30-2002, 04:00 PM
Could be. Just make sure that heat shield / firewall doesn't fall off before you get to service dept. to have tightened. I have seen carpets catch fire from missing heat shields on mufflers and cat. converters directly beneath the floorboards.

Don

MAC
11-30-2002, 04:09 PM
Bill, the problem is that service department.
Maybe they did not order your transfer case promptly, maybe they did not push your case which caused you to wait 3 weeks. They did not clean up after the replacement which caused the leak/drop on your floor. The new rattle sound could be just another little thing he/they did not do right. Some people simply don’t care about their job quality or incapable of such, some shop has poor management of parts and work. After this is taken care of, you may want to seek alternative place to service your Hummer.

NP
12-02-2002, 08:00 PM
Bill,

I finally got time to call the service department about the "whining noise" I've been hearing for the past few weeks. I originally thought it was a power-steering pump problem (which someone had the same problem with).

He told me that the H2s have really been solid and didn't have any major problems. I said, "that's funny, because I've heard of all kinds of problems on an online forum (this one of course), stemming from transfer cases to front differential", etc.

His tune changed pretty quick and he said that the problem I had sounded a lot like a transfer case going out and that I should immediately bring it in, because they've had a "couple of H2s with the same problem."

Do you remember if yours made a whining sound before it went out?

Come to think of it, I started hearing the sound after taking it off-road for the first time. Could it have been that 45 degree incline, or the mud pit after the log climb? Hmmmmmm ...

Took the truck in today, should hear tomorrow or the next day on what the problem is.