PDA

View Full Version : Test for front end wear

Dan
11-17-2005, 09:53 AM
What's the definitive test to see if the front steering components are worn? What do the techs do to determine what needs to be replaced?

I think mine needs some work and want to know what I'm talking about when I bring it in.

Dan
11-17-2005, 09:53 AM
What's the definitive test to see if the front steering components are worn? What do the techs do to determine what needs to be replaced?

I think mine needs some work and want to know what I'm talking about when I bring it in.

Dan
11-17-2005, 01:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
If you are having a hard time tracking a straight line on the highway, that is a good sign of Pitman/idler wear.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is definitely one issue I'm having. Also, last weekend at Paragon I heard a few pops come from the drivers side, right when straightening the wheel from a full lock.

I'll let them replace whatever they need to when I bring it in and plan on FabTechs for the next round.

Thanks Phil http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ernie Italy
11-17-2005, 02:29 PM
I heard some pop when the tie rods touch the front sway bar (whith the wheels on air). Control if have some sign on sway bar... As suggested on forum I have change the two vertical connectors on sway bar with two a little bit longer... No problem.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
11-18-2005, 12:50 AM
Dan the best way i have found to find if front end components are getting slack is to jack each of the front wheels up one at a time. It does not have to be high but, enough to get a bar under the tire. Put bar under and pull up and release presure with the bar and see if tire gives You a wiggle type motion. This will give you an idea if You have upper or lower ball joint problems and if you have wheel bearing problems. You can grab the wheel one hand on front and one hand on back and push the tire with your hands like Your trying to turn the tire right and left but, just try and wiggle the tire back and forth. If You find much movment right and left then You can be looking for tie rod ends or drag link wear on those 3 parts. You will also see the pitman and idler and with either one of the motions You would use and I recommend both You will find pitman or idler bushing slack.

TAZ

Dan
11-18-2005, 09:40 AM
Thanks Taz, I'll try it this weekend.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
11-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Dan
I wanted to give credit to Phil also on the research suggestion of front end parts. Phil said closely the same thing I did except I have done it the way I mentioned as the tire and rim are so heavy You could get better feedback with a bar. For a small car I would use My hands on all 4 positions.
Tie rods and drag link as well as pitman/idler put hands at 9 and 3 o'clock. Well You know what I mean no need to explain that part.
Put hands at noon and 6 to see ball joint move.
It is really best if You have someone with You to look for problems while You move tire around. Or even better trick a guy into doing the wiggling and You look. He will do the sweating while You hold His nice cold beverage as a reward. Your call on that part.

I would also want you to know or whoever else does this that there are degrees of wear that are safe and OK to live with untill it gets worse. But, it is just that You have gained knowledge by doing the test and do it again later to see if it is the same or worse. This way You do not spend the money on repairs yet so a person can go a little longer waiting till they really need it.
I had to replace all My front end parts mentioned in this thread and had only 10,000 miles so they put in new so I'm replacing them with Fabtech Kit I got from Phil to solve the problem. The thing I like best is they are rebuildable. Guy in service the manager who is a friend said it has not been unusual to have to do that. It was under warranty so no biggie. He said it is just the weight of the tires and rims We are running that it is causing it as much as running off road. He told Me that the off road as long as tie rods do not break will not wear them out any faster than just the size of the tires running up and down the road every day. But, He did say that the previuos statement would not be correct if they are die hard off roaders and go out every weekend or evening to get their fix.

TAZ

Arizona Hummerboy
11-18-2005, 04:07 PM
My steering pump was going out in my truck, every time I would make a right turn, it felt like the front right tire was pushing back.

I ran the turck into my dealership, and let the head service teck drive it, and after making a few tight turns, he advised me that the steering pump was starting to go out on it.

The dealership put a new pump in and no more turning problems.

ROX
11-18-2005, 04:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Arizona Hummerboy:
My steering pump was going out in my truck, every time I would make a right turn, it felt like the front right tire was pushing back.

I ran the turck into my dealership, and let the head service teck drive it, and after making a few tight turns, he advised me that the steering pump was starting to go out on it.

The dealership put a new pump in and no more turning problems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think I may have the same problem. Mine started pushing back on hard right turns in Moab, even when in the sand. I didn't know what it was, but I noticed it again here in Oregon. I haven't noticed it when it's out of 4 lo though. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Dan
11-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks again for the advice everyone. The current equipment is factory and has almost 30k on it, with a handful of wheeling trips on it. I'll check it and see what the deal is, then get them to warranty it. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Arizona Hummerboy
11-19-2005, 01:14 AM
H2 Rocks

Take it into your dealership and have them check it out for you.

I had my truck in like 3 times befor they could realy fill it on the turns.