PDA

View Full Version : Wiper/Washer Mania

FreeorDie2
10-12-2005, 11:49 PM
Been driving for a lot of years, but this was a first. I'm driving home for lunch yesterday and all of a sudden, the windshield washer starts pumping like there's no tomorrow. I turned on the wipers and fiddled with everything, but the only way I could get it to stop was to turn the wipers on high! Anything else and the washer started pumping.

Well. . .it eventually ran out of water, so I turned the wipers off. Within a minute or so, the wipers started to move -- a little bit at a time at first, but then they started going at regular speed no matter what the setting was. And the washer was still pumping. I pulled over and yanked the fuse to get it to stop.

Called the dealer and he said bring it in first thing in the morning. I did, but it turned out that the parts (washer module and wiper motor) he thought he had . . .well. . he didn't have them. He'll have them tomorrow.

Anyway, while I was there, the service rep told me that he had already had 4 other vehicles with the same problem in the last month. I'm not sure they were all H2s -- I think some were Chevy SUVs, but I'm not sure. An odd problem. . .

FreeorDie2
10-12-2005, 11:49 PM
Been driving for a lot of years, but this was a first. I'm driving home for lunch yesterday and all of a sudden, the windshield washer starts pumping like there's no tomorrow. I turned on the wipers and fiddled with everything, but the only way I could get it to stop was to turn the wipers on high! Anything else and the washer started pumping.

Well. . .it eventually ran out of water, so I turned the wipers off. Within a minute or so, the wipers started to move -- a little bit at a time at first, but then they started going at regular speed no matter what the setting was. And the washer was still pumping. I pulled over and yanked the fuse to get it to stop.

Called the dealer and he said bring it in first thing in the morning. I did, but it turned out that the parts (washer module and wiper motor) he thought he had . . .well. . he didn't have them. He'll have them tomorrow.

Anyway, while I was there, the service rep told me that he had already had 4 other vehicles with the same problem in the last month. I'm not sure they were all H2s -- I think some were Chevy SUVs, but I'm not sure. An odd problem. . .

VTSTOMPER
10-12-2005, 11:54 PM
that is crazy! good thinking on the fuse!

ChuckE
10-13-2005, 06:05 PM
That is pretty weird. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

While the fuse would be one way to stop the errant behavior, it also would also stop anything else on that same fuse (if there is anything else).

Couldn't you just pull the plug on the side of the motor? is the plug even accessible?

techray
10-16-2005, 03:37 PM
we have seen alot of that in our area. about 99% of the time we just find the little green men and hang them by there .......... ok so it's the front wiper modules. they for some reason start grounding internaily. which makes for all sorts of fun situations. lights won't turn off, wiper won't stop, washers won't stop, ipc inop. great fun for all.

Aubs
10-17-2005, 05:30 PM
So weird. I just had a problem like this the other day. My wipers would only run in high and would stop in place in any other setting and the washer fluid wouldn't work. Then after a few hours, they finally would work in the other settings, but kind of did whatever they wanted, whatever speed and intermitency. Then, I thought everything was ok the next day, and suddenly, I have the wipers on, and turn them from slow constant to intermittent, and the rear wiper starts up with the washer fluid! It was crazy. However, now it's all back to normal--for the moment. Though now I've got a check engine light on! Ugh, getting close to 36,000 miles too. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

FreeorDie2
10-17-2005, 08:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChuckE:
That is pretty weird. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

While the fuse would be one way to stop the errant behavior, it also would also stop anything else on that same fuse (if there is anything else).

Couldn't you just pull the plug on the side of the motor? is the plug even accessible? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose someone could do that, but I gotta tell you, I had a hell of a time just pulling off the plastic cover from the fuse area. I suppose after a working wiper/washer module, my next request from GM would be a simple latch or even a screw on certain parts like the fuse cover, the center console, etc. It always feels like the damn thing will break before it comes off.