PDA

View Full Version : Dead Battery then Reduced Engine Power Warning

kacyk
05-20-2004, 02:54 AM
The back hatch and a couple of doors on the H2 were left open today for about 4 hours while I installed a JAT third row bench, went to Shucks for parts and ate dinner. When I went to go start the car, it was completely dead! It started right up after I jumped it but it went immediately into "Reduced Engine Power" mode, despite the fact that it hadn't been driven for 48 hours. I shut off the enging and started it again and it went to normal mode. Now the check engine light is on. What's going on? is it normal for the battery to die so soon on these H2's? I've had it less than a month. BTW, the doors were opened and shut constantly by my kids going in and out, testing the new third row seat. By this I can assume that the interior lights were on for extended lengths of time.

kacyk
The back hatch and a couple of doors on the H2 were left open today for about 4 hours while I installed a JAT third row bench, went to Shucks for parts and ate dinner. When I went to go start the car, it was completely dead! It started right up after I jumped it but it went immediately into "Reduced Engine Power" mode, despite the fact that it hadn't been driven for 48 hours. I shut off the enging and started it again and it went to normal mode. Now the check engine light is on. What's going on? is it normal for the battery to die so soon on these H2's? I've had it less than a month. BTW, the doors were opened and shut constantly by my kids going in and out, testing the new third row seat. By this I can assume that the interior lights were on for extended lengths of time.

kacyk

Klaus
05-20-2004, 09:13 AM
I'd use a battery charger overnight on it. I bet that will fix it.

kacyk
05-20-2004, 02:16 PM
The check engine light was off when I started teh car this morning. I called Bellevue Hummer and they said that the check engine light would stay on until the battery was fully charged and functional. I still can't fathom the idea that the interior dome lights could drain the battery. I've been in my Honda Odyssey watching a full 2 hour DVD with the rear dome light with no battery issues. I expected more out of this vehicle...

timgco
05-20-2004, 03:30 PM
I thought our trucks had "battery run down" protection. my domes shut off after a few minutes too, even with all of the doors open. opening and closing doors for about four hours, I wouldn't think that should kill off your charge.

kacyk
05-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Exactly.

HummMe
05-20-2004, 09:58 PM
These batteries SUCK! I am on my second one from the dealer. My truck is only 6 months old with 4k miles. Exact same thing happens to me, anytime I am working on it or just listening to the stereo while cleaning it the battery doesnt last over 45 mins. I ordrered a yellow top Optima from my Interstate battery rep, should be here tomorrow. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

kacyk
05-20-2004, 11:43 PM
HummMe,

Could you let us know how taht new battery works out? I plan on having CarToys install a DVD player but have reservations if the battery is going to die.

discofever
05-25-2004, 09:07 PM
The Yellow Top Optima battery is the way to go... Replaced the factory battery after noticing some slight sip age of battery acid. The Yellow Top Optima is Gel filled and will not leak. So far has had it 3+ months, quick starts and no issues. Running DVD player and play station with three screens up to 2 to 3 hours at a time (the kids hide out) and no issues. Hope this helps... I changed out the factory battery on our Envoy as well with the Yellow Top Optima. Picked them both up at AutoZone for $159 each on sale. Hope this helps...

HummMe
06-04-2004, 10:07 PM
kacyk its been a little over a week with my new Optima and all is fine. I waxed the truck this past weekend with the stereo playing away and the truck started right up without hesitation. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

kacyk
06-05-2004, 01:43 AM
I recently went in for a 30K service and they replaced the battery under warranty stating that a cell was bad. I didn't tell them about the issue at the time but it must have died on them during the service period.