PDA

View Full Version : USA Spec iPod Interface

KorkedBatz
12-13-2005, 03:12 PM
I was talking to crutchfield and they said I would lose my XM radio if I installed this in my 05. Is there anyway around losing the XM radio? THanks

KorkedBatz
12-13-2005, 03:12 PM
I was talking to crutchfield and they said I would lose my XM radio if I installed this in my 05. Is there anyway around losing the XM radio? THanks

DeBest
12-13-2005, 04:08 PM
PAC has an Ipod interface that works in place of the changer. Mine just came in it is being installed on Thursday I can let you know how it works. I was pretty clear that I was not willing to give up my XM!!! They assured me that would not be the case....

Jesse
12-13-2005, 04:54 PM
I got the Metro Axxess Ipod adapter. I did as much research as I could before I decided to buy one. Here is why I got the one I did.

1. Don't lose any XM features. Just need to a relay. If you buy it from jpcustoms.com - ask for Jason - they will include the relay free of charge.
2. Displays song title and artist information on the touch screen display.
3. You switch to IPOD control by pressing preset 6 on either XM1 or XM2. It will flip over to Ipod Control. Since you have 12 presets - you can have 12 play lists. Each play list can be 199 songs long. You can play songs randomly or in the order of your playlist. When you want to switch back to XM - you just press and hold preset 6 and it switches back.
4. Steering wheel controls work - for next and previous track.
5. Audio is hard wired into the factory system - sounds great!

Only negatives so far. - when switching back and fourth from XM to Ipod - the preset memorizes that as a preset. Since this is how you program presets. I have learned that when switching from XM to Ipod - to 1st tune into the channel on preset 6 by pressing the button once - and then pressing and holding the button down again. This does not change the preset since it is just reprogramed the same station you had it on. But the name will change when you click back from Ipod.

So far I think this was a small price to pay for something that worked just like it were factory.

Jesse
12-13-2005, 05:01 PM
One more thing - installation was very easy. There is a wiring harness included. You just need to make two wire cuts - one for constant 12 volt and one of the power leads that goes to the xm radio.

I was able to install this myself. Given it takes about an hour to take apart the center console and the dash to get at the radio - I would guess the whole install would take 2-3 hours done by a novice like myself.

Another thing - the wire for the ipod is very long. I have the ipod control box installed behind the glove compartment right next to the xm receiver. I then ran the wire to my center console storage box. Here the wire comes up through where the latch to the lid comes down. There is more than enough clearance so the latch does not hit the wire. This means when parked - my ipod is in my center storage box out of sight. Also means I did not have to drill any holes.

KorkedBatz
12-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys. When reading about the PAC...it says you lose your XM?

Jesse - So the only way to start playing your iPod is by present 6? So you can not start playing your iPod through your stearing controls??

kodiakz
12-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Jesse is correct here--the Axxess is the only one I am aware of that allows the retention of xm or changer. All of the others we carry, including the Peripheral ipod2car and the USAspec, will cause you to lose xm/changer.

Jesse
12-14-2005, 02:51 PM
If you decide to buy the Axxess unit - be sure to get it from JPCustoms.com (ask for Jason) - and let them know you are installing it in a GM car with XM. They will include free of charge the Bosch relay you need for the install. The instructions are were very clear on how to use the relay and what wire to go where.

I was able to install this one myself - and the last time I messed around with a car stereo was back in high school - about 15 years ago. I am as novice as one can be.

DeBest
12-15-2005, 01:44 AM
Does anyone know for sure if you lose the XM with the PAC Ipod unit???

mountainbiker
10-13-2006, 04:23 AM
They will include free of charge the Bosch relay you need for the install.
Do you know what the relay is for?

datapimp69
10-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Thanks guys. When reading about the PAC...it says you lose your XM?

Jesse - So the only way to start playing your iPod is by present 6? So you can not start playing your iPod through your stearing controls??

you could use the prog button on the wheel to change to the preset 6

mountainbiker
10-16-2006, 09:30 PM
If you decide to buy the Axxess unit - be sure to get it from JPCustoms.com (ask for Jason).I called JP Customs (http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=16985&cat=&page=) about the possibly of putting the Axxcess in the HUMMER H3. (You H2 guys don't want to know it doesn't work yet for the H3, so I won't bore you with that part of the conversation.) However, I too would recommend Jason and JP Customs. They are great and know their stuff ... and the HUMMERs.

gm_geek
10-17-2006, 06:43 AM
I called JP Customs (http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=16985&cat=&page=) about the possibly of putting the Axxcess in the HUMMER H3. (You H2 guys don't want to know it doesn't work yet for the H3, so I won't bore you with that part of the conversation.) However, I too would recommend Jason and JP Customs. They are great and know their stuff ... and the HUMMERs.

there is already ipod interface kit available witch is compatible with H3.
100 % plug and play