PDA

View Full Version : Grinding Noise

Plano H2
04-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Last night my wife called me when she was on the way home. She stopped about a mile from our house at the gas station and said the H2 was smelling like burning rubber. I met her there and inspected the truck in and out. The engine sounded fine, etc. So I slowly began driving it home and there is a noise coming from under that sounds like most cars sound when driving in reverse. You can hear the gears. After a block or so, I started smelling the same thing she smelled. I was almost home so I went ahead and brought it home and parked it. Has anyone ever heard of this problem or have any ideas of what the problem could be?

VTSTOMPER
04-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Did you mess with the trans? I think it's toast...or your transfer case it shot. Try some different gears....and going from 4 high to 4 low - either way it is going to need to make a trip to the dealer. Could you have been smelling a clutch burning smell? It smells like when you are behind a semi and their breaks are dragging.

Motohead
04-09-2006, 12:28 AM
you sure she didn't run over a VW Beetle and got it stuck under there? I hear they make a grinding noise when dragged under a H2.

NJ H2
04-09-2006, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Plano H2:
The H2 was smelling like burning rubber. I started smelling the same thing she smelled. Has anyone ever heard of this problem or have any ideas of what the problem could be?

Hmmm ... maybe to many Bacon Bean Burritos? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

KenP
04-09-2006, 04:02 AM
Parking brake on?

PARAGON
04-09-2006, 11:37 AM
another poor Prius gobbled up

Screeper
04-09-2006, 03:20 PM
power steering pump going bad? Check fluid fore burnt smell...

Plano H2
04-10-2006, 12:14 AM
I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I just cannot figure it out myself. I will report back.

KenP
04-10-2006, 03:14 AM
I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I just cannot figure it out myself. I will report back. Make sure you do report back. I'm watching you. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Plano H2
04-10-2006, 12:54 PM
The hummer dealer said maybe I left it in 4 high lock so I confirmed it was in normal 4h. they are towing it now and he will call me later.

Plano H2
04-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Ok. I heard back from the dealer. The front diff seal was broken and much of the fluid had drained. He was inspecting it for damage. He said whoever was doing my oil changes should have noticed it. But, they didn't. fortunately, it is still under warranty.

Plano H2
04-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Oh, and to add to my pleasure....the tow truck dropped oil, not mine, on my perfectly clean circle driveway in like 5 spots. anyone know how to get it up?

KenP
04-11-2006, 04:22 AM
Oh, and to add to my pleasure....the tow truck dropped oil, not mine, on my perfectly clean circle driveway in like 5 spots. anyone know how to get it up? Yeah, call them and tell them to do it! Or try Muratic acid in a weak mix with water.

PARAGON
04-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Dawn takes the grease away

Super Clean by Castrol

Dry cement mix

Mean Green

Carb Cleaner

JohnB.GWU.
04-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Oh, and to add to my pleasure....the tow truck dropped oil, not mine, on my perfectly clean circle driveway in like 5 spots. anyone know how to get it up?

that sounds like a personal problem...consult the mechanic that works on your body

Alan06SUT
04-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Pour gasoline on it, then wash it all away.