PDA

View Full Version : dealer spare tire cover

fourfourto
10-16-2005, 07:04 PM
the free ? tire cover with the hard plastic back give by dealer with his logo on it.How can you remove his advertisement without spraying it all black it seams to be painted on i was thinking of having airbrush mural painted on it but cant find a airbrush artist on li ny.Any products available to remove the paint but not harm the plastic?, that way i could get it airbrushed sometime in future .If I paint it black it might effect future airbrushing.Any ideas ?

H3 gray aventure ,sunroof, steps ,roof rack ,smokers package ,window vents, sunroof visor, hard spare tire cover, h3 valve caps ,and mudflaps 2,500+ miles

fourfourto
10-16-2005, 07:04 PM
the free ? tire cover with the hard plastic back give by dealer with his logo on it.How can you remove his advertisement without spraying it all black it seams to be painted on i was thinking of having airbrush mural painted on it but cant find a airbrush artist on li ny.Any products available to remove the paint but not harm the plastic?, that way i could get it airbrushed sometime in future .If I paint it black it might effect future airbrushing.Any ideas ?

H3 gray aventure ,sunroof, steps ,roof rack ,smokers package ,window vents, sunroof visor, hard spare tire cover, h3 valve caps ,and mudflaps 2,500+ miles

f5fstop
10-16-2005, 09:59 PM
not sure if you could paint over and then have someone air brush it, but you can purchase a bestop spare tire cover (denim preferred for air brushing) for around $28.00, and have it airbrushed by the same person who did mine.
What the dealer gave me:
http://images.snapfish.com/344%3C735923232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2353%3D829%3D8%3A%3C %3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A59556347ot1lsi

Air brushing was done by a fellow in FL. I ordered the cover, and shipped it to him, and a week later, it was on the vehicle.
He had a hard time finding a 33" cover, so that is why I ordered and shipped. A stock size cover (31-32") he might have in stock.

What I replaced it with:
http://images.snapfish.com/344%3C735923232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3262%3E738%3E7%3B%3B% 3EWSNRCG%3D3232%3C299%3C2%3B%3B%3Cnu0mrj

fourfourto
10-16-2005, 10:10 PM
What did he charge you for the airbrushing ?.
a vinyl grafix guy said he could make a sticker with actual photo of h3 with some sort of design to put on inner circle of hardback cover. i havent stoped by his shop yet to look at his work. Im not sure how it would look

f5fstop
10-17-2005, 06:28 PM
about $80.00 and I believe he will do about anything

fourfourto
10-17-2005, 07:43 PM
list name address phone # ill give him a call i could ship hardback cover to fla. his work looks good nice detail.

f5fstop
10-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Mark Washam, Airbrush Xperteez....386-252-6886

fourfourto
10-17-2005, 08:18 PM
thanks ill call him this week i was thinking of a gray h3 ripping out of a tear blending in to the black cover with background in tear of beach or rocks or hills ?

wet1
10-17-2005, 11:25 PM
We had our graphic guys make a black background then had them use silver to do the logo.. I think it looks GREAT.. pic attached

fourfourto
10-18-2005, 10:23 AM
wet 1 is that vinyl put on with heatgun overlayed on plastic ?. does it go over the dimpled plastic well and how much did he charge you. i was also thinking of removing the advertisment on mine with acidtone (nail polish remover) i dont know if it will damage plastic its in a plastic bottle i wouldnt mind look of all black till i deside what to do. might try removing small tradmark (R) as a test and see if it discolors plastic ?.

psywzrd
10-18-2005, 11:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i was also thinking of removing the advertisment on mine with acidtone (nail polish remover) i dont know if it will damage plastic its in a plastic bottle i wouldnt mind look of all black till i deside what to do. might try removing small tradmark (R) as a test and see if it discolors plastic ?. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was kind of pissed when I found out my H3 didn't come with a wheel cover but after reading this thread I'm glad it didn't. I was able to buy a plain H3 tire cover that looks just like the "dealer" ones (it says Hummer H3) but I don't have to drive around looking like a walking (or driving?) advertisement for the dealership.

fourfourto
11-10-2005, 08:51 PM
I finally desided To stop looking for a local airbrush guy(found 1 guy he wanted $500.00 BAM!)
I called airbrush xperteez in fla as recomended by f5fstop (by the way f5fstop thank you very much)Mark is a pleasure to talk to and will put a Gray H3 bustin out a rip/tear on my hardbacked cover and get rid of advertizment.
Only 150.00 total(he takes credit cards) I will take some pics for him and send it out on monday.Ill post pics of finished cover in a couple of weeks.Cant wait to get it back.

f5fstop
11-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Glad to hear I was of some help.
From what I have he does good work. In fact I had a woman behind me in rush hour last week for about six miles. We pulled into the same Target, I parked way out in the boonies as is normal. As I walked down the parking lot she mentioned that the eyes on the wolf were mesmerizing, and actually spooked her. But she was smiling.

fourfourto
11-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Below is rough scetch from fla airbrush guy.
Adjustments are - 7 slot grill, more vertical windshild,rim detail, truck to be a little smaller w/more background.I sent him several photos to go by.I should have it back in about a week.

Sewie
11-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Cool. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Is it going to be colored/B&W?

fourfourto
11-22-2005, 09:03 PM
Gray colored rig backgroung trees, mountian, rocks, sky up to his judgement Hopefully he takes care of fine details.same guy who painted f5stop's wolf above.He did a nice job with ehe eyes.

fourfourto
11-30-2005, 10:13 PM
Heres a almost completed pic.Mark says He will finish it up tommorow than clearcoat. Ill probobly get it next week.

timgco
11-30-2005, 10:35 PM
VERY COOL! CUSTOM! How much? If you don't mind me asking.

Sewie
11-30-2005, 10:37 PM
That turned out great!

fourfourto
11-30-2005, 10:55 PM
$150.00 Its not even done yet.He,s adding detail lic plate ect . His name + # are listed in this thread.just glad to get rid of dealer advertisment.Below is before picture.

mstams
11-30-2005, 11:32 PM
Anyone figure out a way to simply "remove" the dealer print? My latest H2 has the new factory tire carrier with license plate but unfortunately also came with a similar hard plastic cover with dealer's name applied. I like the cover but would rather not advertise for the dealer...

f5fstop
11-30-2005, 11:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fourfourto:
Heres a almost completed pic.Mark says He will finish it up tommorow than clearcoat. Ill probobly get it next week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very nice...

evldave
12-01-2005, 12:27 AM
A suggestion for those who have the spare tire cover (or even an annoying dealer logo or sticker). I told the dealer I wasn't going to advertise for them and to take the sticker off. They said it was something that couldn't be removed and I politely explained that I'm sure they could buff out the glue marks for a $35k purchase and it probably wasn't worth losing a sale for a sticker.

By the time the paperwork was done, they'd heatgunned off the sticker and buffed out the glue. I gave them the spare tire cover, since I now have my bike rack mounted to it and it won't work w/a tire cover.

mstams
12-01-2005, 02:03 AM
Guess I've got lower standards. I'm on my fourth Hummer in two years, and I've bought each one dealer stickers and all. Of course, I always peel them off as soon as I get home -- takes about five minutes.

fourfourto
12-01-2005, 10:02 PM
Finally finished pic below:
Marks email is realarteest@sbcglobal.net his phone # on earlier reply in this thread.

f5fstop thanks again this guys work is great and not to expensive.

f5fstop
12-02-2005, 08:56 AM
You're welcome, and that is one sharp tire cover.

First Hummer
12-02-2005, 09:38 AM
That looks awesome,and I would love to get one only problem is it wouldnt be on for long before some chowder head decided he would like it for his own at no cost.

fourfourto
12-02-2005, 09:47 AM
I was thinking of making some kind of lock with a steal cable.Ill scope it out when I get it back.

fourfourto
12-02-2005, 02:03 PM
I came across this idea (on ebay) .So its not so easy to steal ,I'll add grommets(just happen to have grommet kit) than put small padlock on it.Why make it easy on the thieves.For the most part I dont leave truck in bad areas.I dont have to worry In my area or at my house .I have motion alarms,lights ect just incase. If they come to my house they will get a ass full of buckshot!

First Hummer
12-02-2005, 06:04 PM
good idea

fourfourto
12-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Finally got the tire cover back from fla and installed. Below is pic of it on H3.The guy will paint anything you want.I also installed grommets and put small padlock to make it harder to steal.

fourfourto
12-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Angle shot of rear