PDA

View Full Version : How did I get 15.5 MPG?

DavidAragon
10-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Okay... I had an 03' SUV that got 10.2 then I added the K&N with a tornado thing, I ended up getting 11.5'ish...

Now, I have an 05' SUV with the stock air filter, box and on a trip from WA state to CA, I was getting 15.5mpg...

Were all of the planents in alignment or do the new H2 get better MPG?

Without the K&N the truck's cruise control works well, with the 03' and K&N if I was going up a hill, it feel like it dropped into first gear and gunned the gas.

(thinking about it and I'm no tech but the fuel and air have to be mixed correctly... the restrictive stock airbox lets only so much in so it would seem that less gas is used...

With the K&N, LOT's of air gets in so LOT's of gas is used...

Is this how that works? Either way, I hope that my MPG stays the same, I'm very pleased so far!

http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DavidAragon
10-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Okay... I had an 03' SUV that got 10.2 then I added the K&N with a tornado thing, I ended up getting 11.5'ish...

Now, I have an 05' SUV with the stock air filter, box and on a trip from WA state to CA, I was getting 15.5mpg...

Were all of the planents in alignment or do the new H2 get better MPG?

Without the K&N the truck's cruise control works well, with the 03' and K&N if I was going up a hill, it feel like it dropped into first gear and gunned the gas.

(thinking about it and I'm no tech but the fuel and air have to be mixed correctly... the restrictive stock airbox lets only so much in so it would seem that less gas is used...

With the K&N, LOT's of air gets in so LOT's of gas is used...

Is this how that works? Either way, I hope that my MPG stays the same, I'm very pleased so far!

http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

GeorgeSSSS
10-08-2005, 05:09 PM
David:

I have an 05 and have gotten similar milage on long trips. The roads have to be predominatly freeways that are flat and straight [downhill is cheating; sharp curves scrub off momentum], you've got keep it at 60 mph or less, and you need to use the cruise control as much as possible.

Does any of this apply to the trip you took?

Best regards,

George SSSS

DavidAragon
10-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Hi,
Yes it does... I was keeping it at 60. The ave mpg guage listed 16.1 but when at the end of the trip it was actually around 15.4...

What do you think about the stock filter vs the K&N and the air/fuel mix situation? If I switch over to the K&N.. will I suck more gas? (cuz it's letting in more air?)

MovinH2
10-08-2005, 11:31 PM
I average around 13.0 in town and between 14.0-15.0 on the highway. So that sounds about right.

By the way I also have an 05'.

Black 05
10-09-2005, 03:30 AM
90 lbs of air pressure in the tires?????

Nixxxster
10-09-2005, 05:12 AM
How do you guy get this mpg. I live in socal, I only get 10-11city and 11-12 hwy. Driving very very mellow.

GeorgeSSSS
10-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Nixxster: My city MPG is closer to yours. Congenital heavy right foot, I think. For Fwy driving, flat roads and cruise control under 60 are the trick.

David: I've seen posts where people say the after market air intakes don't improve anything (power or mpg) and they are noisy. I'd say to do some searches of the threads in this forum for info. Alternatively, you could start a new discussion topic with "K&N" or "after market air intakes/filters" in the title to get the latest info from the membership.

Best regards,

George SSSS

Sportsdude
10-09-2005, 05:36 PM
I just picked up my new 2005 H2 and drove back from a 500 miles trip. The MPG came out to 14.2 gal.

dochummer
10-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Just drove 700 miles last night. If I kept the cruise on 82 or so, I averaged about 11.3 mpg...same as city http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif...If I cruised at anything below 70 I averaged 14.5 mpg...

CslRkH2
10-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Tire pressure can have an effect too. I've noticed that when I fill to 42 psi I get better mpg than at 35 psi. It is less than 1 mpg diff though.

Nixxxster
10-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Can't go 60 on the hwy. The speed limit is 65, slower then that might get you shot http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ernie Italy
10-11-2005, 05:25 AM
At 60 mph my average is 19 mpg on hgw
At 80 mph avg is 14 mpg on hgw

But we use 98-100 octane gasoline...

DavidAragon
10-14-2005, 04:44 PM
19mpg NICE!

I just use regular... it's what the book calls for.

I'm sure as soon as I take it off road, it will be down to 2mpg http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Arizona Hummerboy
10-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Last week I was comming back from the Grand Canyon. I have a 03 H2 and I was getting 19.2 MPG. that was going at a speed of around 45 to 50 MPH. all of it was Mountain Driving, and I was going into Flagstaff.

GeorgeSSSS
10-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Let me state the obvious [one of my specialties]: The H2 has the aerodynamics of a brick. When you increase your speed from 50 to 80, the wind resistance is probably doubled and milage drops way off.

I don't care, I love the look of it.

George SSSS

Sportsdude
10-14-2005, 06:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernie Italy:
At 60 mph my average is 19 mpg on hgw
At 80 mph avg is 14 mpg on hgw

But we use 98-100 octane gasoline... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. I use Super Plus or Ultimate.

MovinH2
10-14-2005, 07:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Same here. I use Super Plus or Ultimate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here.

GeorgeSSSS
10-16-2005, 05:56 AM
You might get a little better fwy milage by removing the roof racks. My guess is they create some drag at high speed.

Just a thought. May or may not be worth the trouble.

George SSSS

Jeff Jackson
10-22-2005, 09:21 AM
I had the air and exhaust upgraded with the promise of better gas mileage and more power.

I got more power, but only a slight increase in gas mileage.

Next time I fill up the 06 H2, I'm trying 93 octane.

Efrain
10-22-2005, 01:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I get 10 mpg on long trips and around 8.5 mpg around town. Believe it or not, if I have a strong head wind I will get as low as 6 mpg. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PhilD, your mpg's seem more reasonable to me. after 10 months, I still can't shake off the 10.9 mpg average I'm getting. Either my H2 was made on a Monday or those guys are just plain lucky. Also, this is the first time I read (in this forum) about higher octanage giving you higher mpg's. Wouldn't the owner's manual say,"Use 87 octane gasoline unless you want better gas mileage, then use 97 octane" What gives? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Jeff Jackson
10-22-2005, 11:34 PM
2006 Lux H2

Dealer told me removing the roof racks would improve mileage 1 mpg
Did not remove because I like the look

Replacing the exhaust system and air intake system would improve mileage 3-4 mpg
Had that done. More power but mpg remains the same.

Put in BP 89 octane instead of 87 octane
Noticed a marked improvement in performance and mpg

Read this forum and today I put in Sunoco 94 octane
No change in performance but gas mileage actually DECREASED!!!

I'll try one more tank of higher octane and post the results.

OrangeCrush
10-23-2005, 12:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
Octane will make no difference to fuel efficiency. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil,

I have to politely disagree with this statement. A lower octane gas burns slower and produces more power. (providing it's not knocking)

For OVER a year, I ran premium gas in my Honda 954 motorcycle. I reset the trip odometer (since most sportbikes don't have fuel gauges) and I CONSISTENTLY got 140-150 miles till the low fuel light came on. I did that for over 15K miles.

For the last 6K miles, I have run 87 octane EVERY time. I CONSISTENTLY get 160-170 miles till the low fuel light comes on.

Now, granted, this is on a motorcycle so because of it's weight, aerodynamics and rolling resistance, it may make a much more noticeable difference, but nonetheless, I have noticed this in bike after bike that I have owned.

Lower octane burns slower and produces more power os I can't see how the statement "octane will make no difference to fuel efficiency" can be true. Over the last 20 some years of riding, I can't tell you how many people I have discussed this with came back and couldn't believe the results.

I too was under the impression I was giving my vehicle " a taste of the good stuff".

Just my opinion... well, actually, the Federal Trade Commission's opinion also. Here's part of the article from them.

The Low-Down on High Octane Gasoline
Are you tempted to buy a high octane gasoline for your car because you want to improve its performance? If so, take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner's manual.

The only time you might need to switch to a higher octane level is if your car engine knocks when you use the recommended fuel. This happens to a small percentage of cars.

Unless your engine is knocking, buying higher octane gasoline is a waste of money, too. Premium gas costs 15 to 20 cents per gallon more than regular. That can add up to $100 or more a year in extra costs. Studies indicate that altogether, drivers may be spending hundreds of millions of dollars each year for higher octane gas than they need.

Here's the entire article. Federal Trade Commission (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm)

Mark

PS. Driving easy with my H2, I can get 13.6-14 mpg in town. Driving it normally like I tend to do, it gets 11'ish mpg.

OrangeCrush
10-23-2005, 12:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> No change in performance but gas mileage actually DECREASED!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Though I hadn't read all the posts, Jeff's post confirms exactly what I was saying. Try another tank Jeff, I think if everything is the same, you find the same results.

Mark

Poseur
10-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Another opinion to back up Orange and Phil. Lower octane gas actually combusts more violently than higher octane. It is less resistent to ignition and therefore fires off faster then high octane. On a modern, computer controlled vehicle you might see an increase in performance with higher octane because the computer will allow the timing to advance due to the increased resistance to detonation. If the engine isn't exceptonally prone to detonation with a lower octane fuel,(ie. lower compression) than this benefit is only imagined. In an engine such as a rotary which has a much lower tendency for detonation you actually see increased performance by using a lower octane.83 octane was the choice of racers for years until the sanctioning bodies made it illegal to level the field. Forced induction changes these rules and in that instance you need the higher octane to prevent uncontrolled detonation and engine damage.
At 40,000 miles our 04' has an overall average of 11.5 mpg. I always use 87 octane and have had no issues with detonation. I can average 13-14 on the highway at 70-75 but as soon as there is any stop and go I'm back down to 11.5. On a trip to Savannah where we drove kinda fast 80-90 we averaged about 10. Seems this is about normal for the H2.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
10-23-2005, 06:17 PM
If You will do a search for Octane You will find allot of info and one will be MY lecture on octane and what it means and why it can be different than what the pump says due to how long or how short of a time it has been in the tank at gas station. I have Buddy in the oil business and actually works with the octane quality etc. he is a chemical engineer with a major oil compnany.
Or You could look up My soapbox lecture and see what He told Me. But, Phil is correct in what He says about octane not helping MPG and that low octane is extremely violent burning that is why You have to go to higher octane to prevent detonation when you switch to forced induction.
Also if You should go to a high flow head as I'm doing later this year You should get one that will flow more air and not increase compresion. If You raise compression with forced induction You are looking for trouble unless you do the bottom end work along with the heads.
Stock rig should do just as well on 87 octane as any of the other and You save money.

TAZ

OrangeCrush
10-23-2005, 07:17 PM
Boy, don't I feel like a dumbass. Phil, you and I are saying the same thing.... that octane rating does NOT increase fuel efficiency.

I must have misread your statement... I don't know how I missed the word "NO" in your statement that said "Octane will make no difference to fuel efficiency. "

I apologize completely. You and I are saying the exact same thing. It was getting late and I must have misread it.

Sorry.

Mark

OrangeCrush
10-25-2005, 12:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Worst things have happened, at least you didn't call me a self lubricator http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I was going to tell you to get ....LOL Is that close?

Thanks bud.

Mark

DeBest
10-25-2005, 10:03 AM
So now that the myth regarding higher octane gas improving MPG has been put to rest is there any little tweak that might help to get better MPG's?

Albie
10-25-2005, 10:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DavidAragon:

http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its very simple. If you look at the following map. you will see that Cali is down hill from WA. Thus giving you 15. mpg

http://www.weizmann.ac.il/home/isagiv/aroundtheworld/West%20Coast%20USA/USA_west_map.jpg

Nixxxster
10-26-2005, 03:43 AM
13 mpg in the city?? you must drive really slow, live it a total flat land, and have very few traffic light.... http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif