PDA

View Full Version : Replace DRL's with Cibies (hummersolutions package)

PARAGON
01-27-2004, 07:08 PM
I got started on this and petered out. It's been pretty easy but I just can't do much of anything for very long these days. I'll post the rest of the pics when I finish (who knows when that will be). Here is a pic of the package from hummersolutions.

PARAGON
01-27-2004, 07:08 PM
I got started on this and petered out. It's been pretty easy but I just can't do much of anything for very long these days. I'll post the rest of the pics when I finish (who knows when that will be). Here is a pic of the package from hummersolutions.

PARAGON
01-27-2004, 07:09 PM
This is the rig before I got started:

PARAGON
01-27-2004, 07:10 PM
This is the rig with the metal valance and DRL bumper off:

PARAGON
01-27-2004, 07:13 PM
Back of the valance and DRL bumper:

PARAGON
01-27-2004, 07:14 PM
Close up of the back of the DRL housing:

PARAGON
01-27-2004, 07:16 PM
About to separate the DRL's from the bumper and the DRL bumper from the metal valance so I can use a dremel to "adjust" the back of the DRL buckets:

PARAGON
01-29-2004, 02:49 PM
DRL's are out, what the light housing's look like from the back

PARAGON
01-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Cut the back of the DRL bumper using dremel and cut the bottom of the plastic insert.

PARAGON
01-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Same thing on the other side, but you also have to cut out the little tab at the top.

PARAGON
01-29-2004, 08:13 PM
Ok, I got a little too excited with the dremel. The previous 2 pictures are incorrect. I made the cuts on the top instead of the bottom of the DRL bumpers.

I had to go back and cut again and now the top and the bottom is cut off. OOPS

Spike
01-29-2004, 09:08 PM
Oh ****, now you tell me........Just Kidding http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

S&B Member

PARAGON
02-05-2004, 04:47 PM
It's been nearly 2 weeks and I haven't made much progress on this. My rig hasn't moved and the front end is still in pieces. I promise to finish it before the end of the year and post the final pictures.

frank6150
02-05-2004, 05:49 PM
Is that hole big enough to fit the PIAA 520's Paragon? Looks like you have the entire backing cut out.

S&B Member since '03

PARAGON
02-05-2004, 06:02 PM
You can make it big enough, I think. The front of the bumper where the DRL's come through would be the main problem, making the cut into the plastic look OK. As is now, the Cut is on the recessed portion of the bumper and the PIAA's would require you to cut the whole recessed portion completely out.

frank6150
02-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Yes that would be a bit difficult to get the front cut. I can't even cut a piece of wood straight so that takes me out of the running of trying it myself.

I think I am going to order a set and go to a couple places to see if they can make the proper cuts without destroying the bumper. If nobody can pull it off I will see if I can just flip them upside down and mount them where the wings are now. Thanks Paragon!

S&B Member since '03

PARAGON
02-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Frank,

I thought about seeing how much it was to replace the DRL bumper and the plastic inserts in the back and go ahead and try to make it work for the PIAA's.

Remember, there are 3 pieces (besides the wings) There is the plastic bumper that you see and there there are inserts for each side that goes inside of the plastic bumper for extra support. This is not illustrated very well in my pictures.

PARAGON
03-21-2004, 10:20 PM
Ok, they're done. I've had them mounted for a few weeks but finished the wiring this past week. I haven't driven with them at night yet but they light all around the front end very well. Here is a pic with lights off.

PARAGON
03-21-2004, 10:21 PM
Here is a pic with the lights on

SOCRATES
03-23-2004, 02:49 AM
Paragon,

How did you go about wiring the lamps? Did you wire them into the daytime running lamp wires, or?

Thanks!
-Justyn

PARAGON
03-23-2004, 03:08 AM
I went the typical aux light relay route. I have a fused postive coming directly from the battery. Then I have a 2 wire each running from the relay to the (+) on each light. I then have the (+) from the old DRLs wired to the relay that triggers the lights to come on.

I have to wire a switch in line so that I can cut the power if I do not want them on, but have not done that yet.

PARAGON
03-27-2004, 02:11 AM
The cibies are keepers. I got out tonight and aligned them to my liking. I have them very low but with the HIDs every piece of ground is covered from right in front to well out past the stocks. The cibies also spread the beam horizontaly extremely well. With the HIDs catching the ditches up ahead, the cibies do well up close when you are making tight turns. The path of the front tire is easily lit up.

I am very happy and all I need to do now is wire in a switch for it and replace the bulbs with silverstars so the color will match the HIDs.