PDA

View Full Version : GPS Mapping

HeeHaw
11-17-2002, 05:51 PM
Has anyone installed GPS after market? Priced a Alpine system for $1,900.00 and if I move the On-Star buttons a little, it can go there and with a push of a button, pop out with a 7 inch DVD screen and off we go. Anyone done this?

Hee /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

HeeHaw
11-17-2002, 05:51 PM
Has anyone installed GPS after market? Priced a Alpine system for $1,900.00 and if I move the On-Star buttons a little, it can go there and with a push of a button, pop out with a 7 inch DVD screen and off we go. Anyone done this?

Daft_Punk
11-17-2002, 06:45 PM
A guy named Hummer talked about his nav system. Maybe he would post pics if not see what he used I would like a similar setup myself.

http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=5106011751&m=9826019361

Afreet
11-17-2002, 10:04 PM
Does anyone know if input is available on the monitor? Or does the alpine GPS need to use the remote for everything?

KAC
11-18-2002, 09:43 AM
I had the Alpine system on my MDX. It was a factory option so it could be a slightly different system from the aftermarket one but it is a great system, very easy to use. It did include a touch screen but didn't have a remote. This may be the major difference between the factory version and the after market version.

I'm considering the Alpine and the Pioneer
click here (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CarProducts/CarProductDetails/0,1429,34224,00.html) for the nav system alone or, click here (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CarProducts/CarProductDetails/0,1429,34228,00.html) for a complete system with monitor, in dash receiver/CD player/motorized monitor.

Both systems are DVD based systems so you don't have to change CDs in the middle of a trip - the DVD includes mapping for the entire US. The Pioneer has voice activation and a larger memory than the Alpine. My Alpine retained the last 20 places visited while the Pioneer retains the last 298 with spots for permanently saving your home address and a favorite address as well. These two addresses are automatically accessible. The Alpine does allow storage of up to 200 addresses.

I went by my dealer on Saturday to check on my H2 which is supposed to be here by the end of the month. I asked him about a nav system and they have a guy that does work for them. He called him to find out what he installs and how much - he will replace the factory system with the complete Pioneer system but I didn't want to lose the 6 CD player. Instead, he will install the monitor in the driver visor. The price seems pretty reasonable for a complete, installed system - $2650 - and it can be done when the truck arrives at the dealer so it will be taken care of.

I'm also going to get this back-up camera (http://www.real4wd.com/civ/specials/feature/BC.cfm) installed at the same time.

If anyone's used the new Pioneer system, I'd like to hear good and bad about it. I read the owner's manual on-line over the weekend and it seems to be comparable to the Alpine although the voice functions could be really useful if it works.

Kim

KAC
Red Adv Series ordered 9/14/2002
Delivery expected by 11/30/2002

Doug
11-18-2002, 03:12 PM
I installed an aftermarket GPS. I went with the new Audiovox. It has all the features the Alpine and Pioneer at a lot less cost. I don't know who you priced the Alpine at but that sounds cheap.
I don't have pictures but I mounted the screen on the front of the overhead console (I have the moonroof). The Audiovox screen is a 16X9 aspect ration so it fits and look great. The remote is backlit and sits just left of the center console so when you have your hand on the Shift you can comfortably dial in your coordinates. The remote also come out so your passenger can use it also. The brain is under the back seat.
I have used Alpine, Pioneer and Audiovox and for what it's worth, if buying again I would stay with Audiovox.

HeeHaw
11-18-2002, 07:05 PM
I will look at the options, also if you have pictures, I would like to see them for ideas.

Hummer Man
11-18-2002, 09:35 PM
Would love to see pictures of your install, models numbers and price you paid??

TS
11-18-2002, 10:33 PM
Has anyone checked out the Magellan 750 series? Specially for going offroad, this unit has the convenience of voice prompted directions on pavement, and allows you to input waypoints off pavement.

HeeHaw
11-18-2002, 10:52 PM
It is a very small unit and you have to down load a map to use it. The unit comes with up to 128 MB of memory and that can be changed for each trip. This is a good hand held unit, but a very sub-standard vehicle unit.

For the record, 128 MB won't even hold all the data for one state such as CA.

The up side is that the unit is very low priced and portable making it good for hikers and outdoorsmen. Can easily fit into your pocket and logs on to the network very quickly and only takes five minutes to change from car to car.

I am looking for a nice size screen and a unit that contains the entire United States and also has the ability to watch DVD movies.

Hee /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

TS
11-18-2002, 11:38 PM
actully the 750 series is hard drive based. This is simlar to the units installed in the Hertz cars if you know the one I am talking about. That's one of the reasons I havent bought a nav unit yet, too many choices.

HeeHaw
11-19-2002, 12:04 AM
It only holds 128 MB worth of data on the harddrive. You download the area you are going from the CD or from your computer using a USB connection.

Unlike the CD based units that can have 4.7 GIG on the harddrive or run from a CD at 650 MB compressed data. Big difference.

Hee /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif