PDA

View Full Version : FSD/Fuel Driver/Run Solonoid

T.C.Mac
11-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Any body had difficulties with their fuel injection? I replaced the ESO (engine shut off solonoid) and still am not getting fuel from the injectors, I have 5 to 6 PSI at the injector pump. Is the "run solonoid" supposed to get voltage when the ignition key is on or just during cranking? I ordered a new PMD and FSD cooler to be delivered in a week any sugjestions would be appreciated. 1998,6.5turbo deisel
MAC

T.C.Mac
11-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Any body had difficulties with their fuel injection? I replaced the ESO (engine shut off solonoid) and still am not getting fuel from the injectors, I have 5 to 6 PSI at the injector pump. Is the "run solonoid" supposed to get voltage when the ignition key is on or just during cranking? I ordered a new PMD and FSD cooler to be delivered in a week any sugjestions would be appreciated. 1998,6.5turbo deisel
MAC

Beastmaster
11-27-2005, 08:57 PM
The test for the ESO is:

Turn off ignition
Disconnect ESO
Turn ignition on
Connect test lamp to Terminal B then to ground.

If it doesn't light, you have a bad fuse or bad connector.

If it does light, then connect Terminal A to the lamp and positive power. If the lamp doesn't light, it's the wiring. If it does light, then the ESO isn't your problem.

-Steve

T.C.Mac
11-30-2005, 01:26 AM
Thanks Steve;
I have already replaced the ESO it seems to be working fine. I am geting no voltage TO the "Run Solonoid " on the fuel injector pump itself. I am getting voltage to the PMD the run solonoid driver but no voltage out of it?
Thanks again T.C.Mac

NoMoGMPG
11-30-2005, 07:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T.C.Mac:
Thanks Steve;
I have already replaced the ESO it seems to be working fine. I am geting no voltage TO the "Run Solonoid " on the fuel injector pump itself. I am getting voltage to the PMD the run solonoid driver but no voltage out of it?
Thanks again T.C.Mac </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite common failure. The PMD has failed, but as you said you already ordered one along with a remote heat sink.

Dave

Beastmaster
12-01-2005, 01:40 AM
Do you have a service manual? You'll need one to diagnose more.

I'd say it's a PMD or the wiring harness to the engine computer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T.C.Mac:
Thanks Steve;
Thanks again T.C.Mac </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

VernB
12-01-2005, 06:50 PM
I've seen on large John deer tractors with air locks or bubbles in the system. They would bleed injectors at cylenders while engine was turming over. you said anything help.

T.C.Mac
12-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Thank you gentelmen one and all,
The FSD cooler and new PMD have arrived. The new PMD includes the wiring harness from the PMD to the Run Solonoid so it will be replaced as well. I will post a note if this does not correct the problem. I ordered the parts from Midwest Fuel Injection, the FSD Cooler (just a large machined heat sink)needs a kit for H1's if anybody else orders it.
Thanks again T.Mac.

T.C.Mac
12-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Beastmaster,GMparts guy,Vern B,
Thanks again guys, I installed the FSD with a new PMD and that solved the problem. Food for thought, my Auto X-Ray scanner did not pick up the defective driver. The scan showed everything normal. It doesn't list HUMMER in it's software list so it may not be Deisel compatable. A simple 12 volt test light showed no power to the positive side of the "Run Solonoid" in the key on position.
The FSD Cooler is a simple installation but the instructions with the unit are vague (Especially for the H1) so you will have to get creative. It still appears to be a good "preventive maintenence" item for those concerned about reliability.
Many Thanks for the input
T.Mac