PDA

View Full Version : attaching existing winch wire to new hook

unaslob
11-08-2003, 01:28 AM
I recently purchased a 5 ton fixed eye hoist hook with a latch.. it is much safer in my mind.. the problem is, is getting the damn thing on. I didnt realize how the factory hook is attached. anybody dabble with putting different hook on. thanks.. unaslob

unaslob
11-08-2003, 01:28 AM
I recently purchased a 5 ton fixed eye hoist hook with a latch.. it is much safer in my mind.. the problem is, is getting the damn thing on. I didnt realize how the factory hook is attached. anybody dabble with putting different hook on. thanks.. unaslob

DURAMAX TIM
11-08-2003, 07:55 AM
I haven't on a small winch but on the 60,000# winchs on our dozers there is a local shop that does chain and cable work.
The have steel ferrels that go over the cable and is swaged shut.
It looks just like what comes from the factory.
I would NOT use cable clamps.
Any crane or elevator shops nearby, they should be able to fix the cable too.
Also heavy equipment or logging supply places can do it too.

Yell'r 04 Lux w/ air, sunroof,F&R brush bars
Traded 03 White Lux
03 GMC D/A CC SLT LB soon to be 04

unaslob
11-08-2003, 02:51 PM
that is good sound advice.. that is kind of how the warn winch is. I am going to call some of the local places to see what they have. I was thinking of removing the existing hook which is held in place by a pin, and getting some kind of shackle to join the two of them.. I would rather it be done correctly by a crane place. thanks. unaslob

5spd
11-09-2003, 01:51 AM
You could also just use a double ended shackle, the one with pins on both ends and do it that way instead of cutting the cable end and redoing it. No reason to destroy a good eye loop on your cable. That way you can always change the hook for any other attachment that you may need in the future.