PDA

View Full Version : DVD / Navigation system in Europe

Frenzy
08-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Hi !

Since we're planning on ordering an H2, I was wondering if the dvd/navigation system works in Europe? I mean, can you put in a cd/dvd with the european roads on it ? Since I live in Belgium, it's important for me to know if I should order it from Hummer or install one later. I 'd love to have the Hummer original system, but I don't want to wast my money on something that won't work on our roads.
Thanks for the info !!

Filip aka Frenzy
Belgium (Europe)

Frenzy
08-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Hi !

Since we're planning on ordering an H2, I was wondering if the dvd/navigation system works in Europe? I mean, can you put in a cd/dvd with the european roads on it ? Since I live in Belgium, it's important for me to know if I should order it from Hummer or install one later. I 'd love to have the Hummer original system, but I don't want to wast my money on something that won't work on our roads.
Thanks for the info !!

Filip aka Frenzy
Belgium (Europe)

W1N
08-27-2005, 01:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frenzy:
Hi !

Thanks for the info !!

Filip aka Frenzy
Belgium (Europe) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you can't. OEM Nav system supports area code 1 and Europe is area code 2. Only thing I can think of is, to get a Europe maps on area code 1 DVD, that is, you'd have to get on Europe map DVD have it changed to area coe 1 and then it MIGHT work. You'd have to talk to some navigation experts about the map softwares and compatibilities with different systems, that I don't know. My conclusion, go out and buy aftermarket system (Alpina and Panasonic have one) or get an external GPS like Garmin etc.

Another chance is to find out if OEM GM Nav systems have a "secret" code which makes them suitable for all areas in the world. Most home DVD players do have this, but I don't know about car DVD's.

Thanks

Frenzy
08-27-2005, 02:44 PM
That's what I was scared of. thanks for the info !! I'm gonna get an aftermarket one.

Filip

W1N
08-27-2005, 04:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frenzy:
That's what I was scared of. thanks for the info !! I'm gonna get an aftermarket one.

Filip </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too, only if the OEM would play mp3's I'd be very happy with that alone...

HeimenHummer
08-27-2005, 04:16 PM
You have to buy an after market NAV.

I don't think factory NAVS read European DVDs because of country code.

I wonder if there's a crack to make the Factory DVD/NAV region free?

There's a website that has all codes to make your DVD player region free. Mabye it'll help for the Factory setup.

W1N
08-27-2005, 04:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HammerH2:

There's a website that has all codes to make your DVD player region free. Mabye it'll help for the Factory setup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do not read, but if there is a way to copy a area 2 DVD as area 1 DVD, then it should work.

Why don't you share the web-site address?

HeimenHummer
08-27-2005, 04:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W1N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HammerH2:

There's a website that has all codes to make your DVD player region free. Mabye it'll help for the Factory setup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do not read, but if there is a way to copy a area 2 DVD as area 1 DVD, then it should work.

Why don't you share the web-site address? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry don't have a specific web address. Just punch in something like DVD Region Codes, on goooooogle and it'll get you started.

Copying Region 2DVD via Region 1DVD sounds like a good ideal. Just not sure if it'll alow you to select that during the process.

Sportsdude
08-27-2005, 11:42 PM
I will be getting my H2 in a couple weeks. I'm going to try the DVD map that is in my BMW to see if it will work.

Frenzy
08-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Keep us posted Sportsdude !!!

Filip
Belgium