PDA

View Full Version : Grinding noise from Steering column?

Alley
11-14-2004, 10:14 PM
I went out mudding a few days ago which I have done several times before. I went 2 days before I hit the power wash, and hit underneith a bit but not a whole lot. I was going to wait another couple days before I really cleaned underneith becuase the weather is bad. Anyway, after a couple miles of driving after leaving the power wash I started getting a grinding type noise that sounded just like it was comming from just behind the steering wheel. It seems it just happens when I turn the wheel to the right or left at slow speeds and almost fully turned. It sounds like it even happens once in a while when I just accellerate from a stop. I've read a few posts about power steering pumps but wasnt' sure if this was my problem as it isn't really a whine and it seemed like too much of a coinciedence comming after a mudding and washing trip. But it seems odd mud might cause this problem and since the noise is comming from the steering wheel itself it seems. It could be comming from from down below though and just sounding closer. Could I need to grease some bushings? Any ideas?

Alley
I went out mudding a few days ago which I have done several times before. I went 2 days before I hit the power wash, and hit underneith a bit but not a whole lot. I was going to wait another couple days before I really cleaned underneith becuase the weather is bad. Anyway, after a couple miles of driving after leaving the power wash I started getting a grinding type noise that sounded just like it was comming from just behind the steering wheel. It seems it just happens when I turn the wheel to the right or left at slow speeds and almost fully turned. It sounds like it even happens once in a while when I just accellerate from a stop. I've read a few posts about power steering pumps but wasnt' sure if this was my problem as it isn't really a whine and it seemed like too much of a coinciedence comming after a mudding and washing trip. But it seems odd mud might cause this problem and since the noise is comming from the steering wheel itself it seems. It could be comming from from down below though and just sounding closer. Could I need to grease some bushings? Any ideas?

Alley