PDA

View Full Version : I had to do this................

HeeHaw
11-22-2002, 03:25 AM
I have been on the site for a couple of weeks and I have read about a lot of problems with the Hummer. Most of minor in nature, but the transfer case problems bug me.

To satisfy by quest for some answers, I compiled all of the problems listed on this forum and I was surprised at my findings.

9 postings about small, very minor, even petty BS things. Ignored

18 Posts with legitimate problems from Transfer case problems to leaking sunroofs to mis-aligned hoods and doors after a little tour of the mud or other obstacles. Not to mention a RECALL already which I have not confirmed, but appears to be coming. Almost forgot, someone actually went 4 wheel'n and got the BEAST STUCK!!!!!!

All in all, a little rocky beginning and I am sure some of you will differ about that, but I think I'll keep her. Feels Right!

HeeHaw

HeeHaw
11-22-2002, 03:25 AM
I have been on the site for a couple of weeks and I have read about a lot of problems with the Hummer. Most of minor in nature, but the transfer case problems bug me.

To satisfy by quest for some answers, I compiled all of the problems listed on this forum and I was surprised at my findings.

9 postings about small, very minor, even petty BS things. Ignored

18 Posts with legitimate problems from Transfer case problems to leaking sunroofs to mis-aligned hoods and doors after a little tour of the mud or other obstacles. Not to mention a RECALL already which I have not confirmed, but appears to be coming. Almost forgot, someone actually went 4 wheel'n and got the BEAST STUCK!!!!!!

All in all, a little rocky beginning and I am sure some of you will differ about that, but I think I'll keep her. Feels Right!

HeeHaw

MAC
11-22-2002, 05:01 AM
Mark me down as no problem. 100%.

I had a 3 days brand new Mercedes engine died on the freeway while I was going 60MPH, same problem fixed 4-5 times, finally done after I got very angry. Arrogant German service manager never once apologize for the defect. Brand new Jaguar whole thing shut down while going 70MPH on freeway, turned itself back on 3 seconds later, talk about longest 3 seconds. Both turned out to be fine and reliable down the road. You would think MB is solid quality, blah blah, same deal.

Hummer is a new plant new crew new design new everything, I am actually very surprised how well a job they have done. Heehaw, show us the list, radio, no audio, wiper, etc... I thought about it a couple days ago, I want to see your list. Thanks.

Steve R
11-22-2002, 05:35 AM
Mr. Haw,
What can you tell us about this recall that seems to be coming down the line?

MAC
11-22-2002, 05:51 AM
Steve, someone said received a recall notice in the mail for wiper motor replacement. I have not seen it. Look for those posts under WIPER titles.

Bill Kervaski
11-22-2002, 09:07 PM
Yes, there is a recall for the windshield wiper motor. They serviced mine in about 30 minutes. Apparently it just stops working. I got a letter.

- Bill

Steve R
11-22-2002, 09:10 PM
explosive wiper motors???....and they leak toxins that are polluting our atmosphere; excuse me while I hit the panic button! Just kidding.....that's pretty simple a thing. Usually when you hear recall you think of defective tires, tranny's that jam or something dangerous. Thanks for the tip-off.

Texas Red
11-22-2002, 09:43 PM
I've heard many problems discussed on the Forum. Most are helpful in learning more about our H2's. After all that's what we're here for.

However, I'm happy to say I am trying to compile a list of things to have fixed or adjusted when I go in for my first oil change (at about 3500 miles) -- and I have only ONE thing on the list: my right outside mirror now fails to auto-fold. I view this as a minor issue.

I've had no leaks, no rattles, no a/c problems, no radio problems, no wiper motor problems (yet?). No uneven gaps or mismatches between body panels, no hint of wheel alignment problems, nada, nothing, none!

I love this thing. It makes me smile everytime I go to get in it!!! Oh, I did adjust my headlights down slightly (a snap to do).

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

11-22-2002, 10:14 PM
This site is awesome:
http://www.alldata.com/TSB/86/038601FZ.html

I have two problems so far, relatively minor:

1) Temperature display shows 90's when it should show 40's.

2) /Something/ sizeable is loose inside my dash, and slides all the way across the inside when the truck tilts to the side. I have no idea what it is, but I don't want to take the dash apart to find out, and I don't trust the dealer at all.

Hummie2
11-23-2002, 12:32 AM
H2XOR...

Some assembly line tech is wondering where his favorite wrench went.

Don

Brad
11-23-2002, 12:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2X0R:
This site is awesome:
http://www.alldata.com/TSB/86/038601FZ.html

I have two problems so far, relatively minor:

1) Temperature display shows 90's when it should show 40's.

2) /Something/ sizeable is loose inside my dash, and slides all the way across the inside when the truck tilts to the side. I have no idea what it is, but I don't want to take the dash apart to find out, and I don't trust the dealer at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

H2XOR
/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
My temerature guage does the same thing. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the thermostat. Didn't work! I think it is a problem with the digital readout on the mirror. I seem to always have to tell the service dept. how to correct my problems with all of my vehicles when I take them in!! I wonder how much they really know.

Mike
11-23-2002, 02:36 PM
H2XOR,

It's probably the mercury that leaked out from the thermometer /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

11-23-2002, 04:30 PM
On what's sliding, I've concluded it's /metal/ and /solid/. It also sounded like it's not square or round but rather elongated -- it doesn't roll, it slides. So it could be a wrench, it could be a bolt, it's not a nut, and it's not Mercury. I'm sure our thermometers are driven by thermistors. ;]

On the temperature reading, I suspect we all need a software update. Anyone who hasn't noticed the 90's for 40's is probably in a warm climate. It just lights one extra bar on the top of the 4 making it a 9... On the bright side, it seems to be accurate if you account for this.

HummerGirl
11-23-2002, 09:11 PM
Hey I have that same sound too. But after wheelin' in mine this afternoon...I don't hear it anymore...maybe it was on strike from riding on pavement for so long and she decided to fix herself!!!

No problems here and my dealer ran my VIN number and I was fine on the motor for the wipers.
build date was 10/7/02

~amy
Reality is merely a crutch for those with a broken imagination.~anon.

http://www.CelestialBath.com

MAC
11-23-2002, 09:19 PM
Based on what Amy just said, not all wiper motors have problem. Good news. I have not receive any recall notice.

I did have a noise which I insisted came from right door, while my wife in right seat insisted came from left door. This went on for days, until we found out the rattling sound of some rolling object came from the overhead sunglasses compartment. The glasses were moving in the non-padded compartment. Strange, it sounded like something big and heavy rolling around. This couldn't be what H2XOR is hearing, could it?

11-23-2002, 09:52 PM
It's definitely something inside the dash, not in the glove box or other storage compartment. And I really heard it slide /all/ the way across the truck, making a metal sound, like a piece of silverware sliding across a table. But I've only heard it twice, so maybe it's found a nice spot to settle in now. It doesn't bug me enough yet to take apart the dash ;]