PDA

View Full Version : New Daytime Running Bulb!!

prplprowlr
01-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Anybody out there besides me who doesn't like the daytime running lights? Well I changed mine today. I swapped out the factory bulb and changed it to a Xenon bulb and only took about 5 minutes tops! The pic shows they are a blue when not on but when lit they light up a crisp white which looks a lot better than stock. Also I have a pic but when I try to upload it, it sayd the file is too large anyone know how to make it work? The pic was 450k but I cropped it to make it smaller and now the pic is 1040k If I cant and you would like to see display your e-mail and I will send it to you.

prplprowlr
01-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Anybody out there besides me who doesn't like the daytime running lights? Well I changed mine today. I swapped out the factory bulb and changed it to a Xenon bulb and only took about 5 minutes tops! The pic shows they are a blue when not on but when lit they light up a crisp white which looks a lot better than stock. Also I have a pic but when I try to upload it, it sayd the file is too large anyone know how to make it work? The pic was 450k but I cropped it to make it smaller and now the pic is 1040k If I cant and you would like to see display your e-mail and I will send it to you.

frank6150
01-03-2004, 11:48 PM
If you want to email me the original pic I can make it smaller and post it for you. If you no longer have the 450k one then send the larger one to frank6150@comcast.net since my hotmail box is almost at its limit right now.

S&B Member since '03

noc
01-04-2004, 04:48 AM
He must be talking about the 3157/4157. I have not found any replacement bulb for the 4114k. 4114k is specifically made as a DRL. Doubt any aftermarket bulb manufacturer is gonna make one. But one can hope! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
Which bulbs do you have, the 3157/4157's or the 4114's?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MAC
01-04-2004, 06:13 AM
I am, of course, obligated to show you my classy 3157 blue bulbs again.

prplprowlr
01-04-2004, 01:33 PM
The bulbs are 3157 and in my opinion look great, so much better than stock.

NOC, the owners manual says they are 4114k's but that was not what was in there. The stock bublbs that came out were 4157 sylvania? I bought my H2 with 7 miles on it and mine was rolled new off the truck had the lube and oil service and they drove it down the rode then I took possesion. I am curious if anyone else has the 4157 instead of the 4114 that the owners manual states or could be a last minute change the GM never put in the manual?

Mac, your DRL's look similar to mine. I like the look and Frank I will e-mail you the pic.

Thanks everyone

frank6150
01-04-2004, 02:45 PM
Here is your pic prplprowlr...

S&B Member since '03

prplprowlr
01-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Frank, thank you for helping me post the pic. I think it turned out great.

MAC
01-04-2004, 11:28 PM
My blue bulbs are not as obvious as his, mine just has a tint of blue from some angles, at no point is mine ever totally blue like that.

The 3157 DRL bulbs I am using now is the 2nd pair, first pair lasted 13-14 months. They are exactly same, except the first pair said XENON on packaging, the 2nd pair said the bulbs are painted blue, no mention of xenon gas or any gas anywhere. I have to guess that PhilD was right long ago, there is no xenon gas in the cheap bulbs. Personally I think they should keep up the false advertising with fake xenon gas claim on all packagings, I wouldn't know the difference and could be happier thinking they are xenon.

The original factory DRL bulbs were Sylvania 4157. Made date 8/28/2002.

Regrading my offroad lamp covers, they are factory covers came with my Hummer new, I only put the covers on very recently, a fresh new look to me, doubt anyone else will ever notice them. Most likely will not stay on for long, I do need to use these lamps on the dark and winding mountain roads.

prplprowlr
01-05-2004, 03:06 AM
Mac, mine look more blue in the pic than in person however when lit they are a very crisp white.
PhilD, they probably are not true Xenon's since I paid very little for them but the main fact remains..I am happy with, thanks for all the True Xenon info... http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

RIC-H0
01-05-2004, 03:16 AM
Phil...since xenon burns brighter, do they emit more heat. I know it sounds like it should, because they are brighter, but does the xenon gas have a lower ignition and burning point than halogen?
I would hope they burn at a cooler temp, to be able to run them in a OEM mount.

Ric-H2

Tucson Beast
01-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Ditto That PhilD - It is like a tug-a-war

http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

"It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts - John Wooden

Beefcake255
01-31-2004, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MAC:
My blue bulbs are not as obvious as his, mine just has a tint of blue from some angles, at no point is mine ever totally blue like that.

The 3157 DRL bulbs I am using now is the 2nd pair, first pair lasted 13-14 months. They are exactly same, except the first pair said XENON on packaging, the 2nd pair said the bulbs are painted blue, no mention of xenon gas or any gas anywhere. I have to guess that PhilD was right long ago, there is no xenon gas in the cheap bulbs. Personally I think they should keep up the false advertising with fake xenon gas claim on all packagings, I wouldn't know the difference and could be happier thinking they are xenon.

MAC

Which 3157's did you end up buying that were less blue than prplprowlr's???? Where did you buy them and how much were they??? I want to try a set of cheap 3157's before I go changing the whole fixture to a Cibie Tango or a PIAA 510 or the Lincoln Navigator Fogs... Please let me know.... I am very intersted in your bulb success.....

Beefcake255

MAC
01-31-2004, 06:42 PM
First of all, DRL is not for illumination, it is for others to see you coming. Keep that in mind. 2ndly, these are cheap bulbs, try them all, throw away what you don't like. 3rdly, I am a cheap guy, I don't spend big money on DRLs, anything over $20 is too much for me.

I now have 3 pairs of DRL bulbs.
1- The original factory Sylvania 4157. Yellowish light. I do not like and they have no place on my Hummer. This is what I see on all H2s I came across on the road, I must be different.

2- Sylvania 3157NALL/4157NALL Amber. Tried for 3-4 days, too orange for me. But I will put on every so often just for fun. $5.50/pair at Kragen Auto Supply, you will find them everywhere, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc. most likely cheaper.

3- I switched back to what I had on for 16 months, paint blue bulbs. $7 at Kragen auto, cheap stuff but did the job and lasted a year. Not so easy to find. 3157. Cool white light with slight blue tint.

MAC
01-31-2004, 06:44 PM
The amber ones are too orange for me. They are unique, I did not see any other automobile on the road with them.

AZhummer
01-31-2004, 11:24 PM
Hey guys here in AZ blue bulbs are just allowed on Police and the like cars and trucks. Was on the HD one evening and had blue dots on the turn signals and an officer filled me in on the ruleing.

03 H2

MAC
02-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Blue light laws is common in most if not all states, but there is nothing blue in the light from these blue tint bulbs. Instead of the yellowish facrory light, the xenon bulb light is cold white in color, not as bright as the expensive HID, but similar in apprearance to HID light. H2 factory headlights are truely inadequate, never felt this way about any auto headlights in my life. I came across police cruisers 100s of times, not a problem.

Toolbox
10-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Hi Mac,

One of my daytime running lights is out. Your post is very helpful. I have a dumb question. How do I replace the bulb. Does the lens come off ? Thanks, Toolbox

HummBob
10-16-2006, 11:40 PM
Hi Mac,

One of my daytime running lights is out. Your post is very helpful. I have a dumb question. How do I replace the bulb. Does the lens come off ? Thanks, Toolbox

Mac has been gone AWHILE!!:violin:

You access the DRL bulb from the the front of the front wheel wells. You just twist them off, pull the whole wire assembly back and change the bulb. Pretty easy, even I CAN DO IT!!;)