PDA

View Full Version : Is there a trick to changing the air filter?

shipbldr
09-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Somehow a lot of mud made it into my airfilter... and we'll try to figure out how later.

For now the issue is the filter change itself.

Is there a trick to changing it? Geez, I had to unbolt the hood support to get the top off of the filter housing. Even then it was still a beeyatch!

Is there a trick to opening this thing without disassembling the hood support? And then still doing a lot of prying... ?

shipbldr
09-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Somehow a lot of mud made it into my airfilter... and we'll try to figure out how later.

For now the issue is the filter change itself.

Is there a trick to changing it? Geez, I had to unbolt the hood support to get the top off of the filter housing. Even then it was still a beeyatch!

Is there a trick to opening this thing without disassembling the hood support? And then still doing a lot of prying... ?

Arizona Hummerboy
09-29-2005, 10:10 PM
I have not found a easy way of doing it yet. I remove the 4 bolts around the windshild washer holder to get the lid off of the filter.

I do know you can get the filter from Napa Parts cheper then you can buy one from the Dealer.

dochummer
09-30-2005, 04:34 AM
I put an airaid filter in at the same time as the MIT tube.. so, I already had it out of the engine bay....Haven't tried taking off the cover now that it's back in.

Hummertech
09-30-2005, 10:59 AM
You don't have to pull that black piece out by the washer fluid bottle unless you've bent your body from jumping the thing off road. Take your 2 phillips screws out of the cover. Lift up on it and slide it forward to get it out. You have enough room. It's a little tricky putting it back because you have to line it up right or the screws won't go in, but I change several a week without ever pulling that piece.

PARAGON
09-30-2005, 12:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
I presume they must have changed it on later years, because on a '03 you undo two screws and remove the cover. It is very easy, unlike changing the tranny filter which is not so easy... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I was thinking the same thing. While I don't have mine right here to go look at http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif I didn't remember the filter being that big of a deal.

ree
09-30-2005, 01:04 PM
Ditto. No trouble on the '03.

Fastest H-Town Realtor
09-30-2005, 04:55 PM
The filter cover seems to hit to much **** to go on easy, so I relaese the tension on the airfilter housing,slip on the cover,then tighten em all down. What a PITA.

KenP
09-30-2005, 06:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
I presume they must have changed it on later years, because on a '03 you undo two screws and remove the cover. It is very easy, unlike changing the tranny filter which is not so easy... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ha Ha. 05's suck. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

rodster
10-04-2005, 03:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shipbldr:
Geez, I had to unbolt the hood support to get the top off of the filter housing. Even then it was still a beeyatch!

Is there a trick to opening this thing without disassembling the hood support? And then still doing a lot of prying... ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No doubt, it's PITA. Maybe Hummertech's got a trick but I can't figure it out. On my truck the lip on the cover won't clear the channel on the box no matter how I try to slide or flex either piece. Removing the hood support seems to be the only way.

Maybe this is one of those deals like tires that rub the sway bars -- some do, some don't?

shipbldr
10-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Thanl you for letting me know that I am not stupid or insane http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Changing my filter has certainly been a pain...

Charles

ree
10-04-2005, 10:59 AM
I checked on my 03's filter today just to confirm my memory that "it's easy" and found that the clearance between the filter cover and the bracket above it is quite tight. A bit of flexing on the cover get's it off quite easily.

However, it takes some very good alignment and properly applied force to pop it over the metal lip when putting it back in. This was a challenge, albeit and mild one...no need to remove anything, just a bit of patience.

I think I thought it was so easy because all my past vehicles were cars where the hose between the cleaner box and throttle body was compressed and snaked among other wires and parts and you had to have tiny girly hands to reach into the gap of the hose and box to fish for the filter.

Screeper
10-04-2005, 11:54 AM
04 are a bitch as well

Hum2
10-04-2005, 06:02 PM
The real tricky air filter to change is the one in the cab, that only exists in a few early H2's http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ric