PDA

View Full Version : Converting to Part time Transfer Case

Rockyot
04-29-2006, 06:34 PM
does anyone know if the transfer case in a 2006 suv can be converted to part time?

Rockyot
05-01-2006, 03:52 PM
do we have a different transfer case or is it just different electronics? isn't it the same in the 3/4 ton trucks that do have a part time "button" and an "auto" fwd button??

Planohummer
05-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Borg-Warner in the H2, H3--New Process in the pickup trucks. Check with Predator Motorsports, they do this conversion when they drop a Duramax in the H2s.

JohnB.GWU.
05-02-2006, 09:21 PM
maybe you could add manual hubs to the front end, but then you would have to lock them everytime you wanted 4wd, but you could probably get a few mpg's out of it. Not entirely sure though, but a lot of people do it to other fulltime trucks and it might be the same deal.

PARAGON
05-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by JohnB.GWU.:
You can simply add manual hubs to the front end (I think) but then you would have to lock them everytime you wanted 4wd, but you could probably get a few mpg's out of it. Not entirely sure though, but a lot of people do it to other fulltime trucks and it might be the same deal. Nope.

It would give a TCS headache over time and not accomplish anything. If you could get by the TCS problem, you are still "losing" power through friction by driving the front driveline without any benefit.

HUMTECH
05-03-2006, 12:52 AM
Even if you could put in part time hubs(which you can't) the truck would not move unless shifted into 4hi or 4lo. Best bet would be to find an aftermarket t-case to replace the 4484 but do not personnely know if anything is available.

JohnB.GWU.
05-03-2006, 01:05 AM
yes thats right its an open transfer case like in an AWD although it can be locked. my mistake.

well why dont you just pull the front driveshaft so that you arent turning the front wheels for a few mpgs? although you would entirely lose the 4wd aspect.

I remember that someone put an Atlas in an H2 (that also had a SAS) but thats an extreme example.

HUMTECH
05-03-2006, 01:23 AM
You could pull the front shaft and run in 4hi but you will still be "pushing" the front diff instead of driving it, not sure how much mpg you would actually gain.

Rockyot
05-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Do any of you have a contact with Hummer engineering that we could contact? Then we would all know. Do any of us need full time 4wd? NO. With gas on the rise I want to keep my favorite vehicle and increase the mileage.

PARAGON
05-04-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Rockyot:
Do any of you have a contact with Hummer engineering that we could contact? Then we would all know. Do any of us need full time 4wd? NO. With gas on the rise I want to keep my favorite vehicle and increase the mileage. You have been very politely told that it's fcking stupid to even consider. There is no way to "switch" this t-case to 2 wheel drive. There are no mechanisms in our t-cases to disengage either output shaft. It's that simple.

What fuel savings do you think you would achieve anyway? The difference in fuel savings between identical trucks less one being 2wd and the other being 4wd is barely recognizable and sometimes is lost just due to gearing. Why on earth would one think that reducing the H2 from full-time 4wd to a 2wd vehicle amount to better fuel economy? It would still be shaped the same, weigh the same and still have the same friction associated with the drivetrain.

The H2 is shaped like a brick, weighs 7K lbs, and is not made to achieve good fuel mileage. If the mileage bothers you that much, drive another vehicle.