PDA

View Full Version : Fix for strange noise, Alternator whine?

jebia
11-11-2004, 12:04 PM
My 04 H2 has a high frequency (pitched) noise that seems to depend on engine rpm. It is not that loud, but after driving it for a while its a bit annoying. It seems like its related to either the engine air intake track, engine fan, or alternator (my guess). In the past, on other vehicles, I've tracked this type of noise down to alternator noise (whine) being amplified by the radio. But in the H2 the noise is audible even with the radio turned off (I guess it could be coming from the onstar/cell phone speakers, but its hard to pinpoint).

My H2 has the stock indash cd player. No aftermarket radio stuff.

Has anybody heard this? Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks in advance

Jon Ebia
Albuquerque NM
04 h2, airaid, predator program, flowmaster

jebia
My 04 H2 has a high frequency (pitched) noise that seems to depend on engine rpm. It is not that loud, but after driving it for a while its a bit annoying. It seems like its related to either the engine air intake track, engine fan, or alternator (my guess). In the past, on other vehicles, I've tracked this type of noise down to alternator noise (whine) being amplified by the radio. But in the H2 the noise is audible even with the radio turned off (I guess it could be coming from the onstar/cell phone speakers, but its hard to pinpoint).

Thanks in advance

Jon Ebia
Albuquerque NM

jebia

Thanks in advance

Jon Ebia
Albuquerque NM

PARAGON
11-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Even though your radio if off, the amp is still on. Still could be something coming from the speakers.

Can you describe it better as a whine or as a whistle?

jebia
11-11-2004, 01:54 PM
Paragon,

I'd say the noise is more like an electronic "whine", vs a "whistle" (like air coming thru the sunroof or a window.

Thanks for the info on the amp, I'll try pulling the amp, onstar, and radio fuses tomorrow, go for a ride, see if the noise goes away.

thanks,

Jon

Patriot
11-11-2004, 02:16 PM
I've heard rumor of air intake throttle body whine as well.

Hummie2
11-11-2004, 05:00 PM
I have heard alternators whine that have 1 open diode in them. The alternator will still charge, although not to it's full output. You might have the alternator checked out to be sure that it reachs it's full capacity.