PDA

View Full Version : Gobi Rack - Lights wiring

SRFCASTR
01-08-2004, 03:14 PM
I just had my Gobi Rack, Ladder, and PIAA lights (frnt & rear) installed.

The installer ran the front lights wiring across the front (along the cross bar) inside a plastic wire harness and entered the vehicle via the factory roof light. The wire harness causes wind noise, looks like crap, and I fear will be a weather related maintainance problem in the future.

Does this installation sound correct??

Should the wires run inside the rack to the corner??

Does anyone have photos of their wiring for these lights on a Gobi rack??

Thanx

SRFCASTR

SRFCASTR
01-08-2004, 03:14 PM
I just had my Gobi Rack, Ladder, and PIAA lights (frnt & rear) installed.

The installer ran the front lights wiring across the front (along the cross bar) inside a plastic wire harness and entered the vehicle via the factory roof light. The wire harness causes wind noise, looks like crap, and I fear will be a weather related maintainance problem in the future.

Does this installation sound correct??

Should the wires run inside the rack to the corner??

Does anyone have photos of their wiring for these lights on a Gobi rack??

Thanx

SRFCASTR

Adam in CO
01-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Not sure how mine was done, but it was done at GOBI, and makes no noise.

Adam P. Smith
Senior Broker
Mortgage Pros, Inc.
303-407-2405 p
303-407-2414 f
aps101374@yahoo.com

"Skull and Bones" Member Since 2003

SRFCASTR
01-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Can you provide a photo of the wiring (i.e. behind the front lights) so I can see the way they routed/attached/etc. the wires from lights to entry into the cabin????

SRFCASTR

Centerfire
01-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Moving the wires to the back will make it look better. I'm not sure why they did not use the prerun wires all ready in the Roof rack..

Regardin the wind.. It's the rack and lights..
I had a little noise with the rack and it really got loud with the lights on it.. In fact I have to close the inside sunroof guard when I go over 50mph.. I know it is not the wiring because I have not hooked them up yet, I'm still waiting on my LED"D so I can wire all at once.

You have a wind screen on top that makes noise, causes lower gas milage. ALso makes the H2 downshift more often in a head wind.

But it still looks cool and thats what counts, the rest is little crap.

Mike

Hum2
01-08-2004, 08:00 PM
I can/will respond in detail in a couple of weeks (with pics) (off-roading this weekend) on my self-install of my new Gobi Stealth. What an awesome addition to my H2!!! Go GOBI!!!

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net

Hum2
01-08-2004, 08:17 PM
The only wiring "in" the GOBI Stealth runs along each side (front to rear) to bring power to the rear lights from the front of the vehicle where it comes up thru the drivers marker light.

The front light(s) wiring does run along the front of the rack...I wire-tied mine to the back of the rack bars to hide/create less wind resistence. The shield up front deflects most of the wind/noise, don't notice any problem there. Will have pics soon.

Install was very easy except for the deflector which required bending (flattening) the brackets to get it to fit properly. I had already wired roof lights so the new front GOBI (PIAA) lights went in very easily. I will run additional wiring/switch for the rear lights in the spring....too darn cold to do anything until then.

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net

PARAGON
01-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Here is an idea for a new light setup:

SRFCASTR
01-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Thanx everyone!!

I am waiting for pics from HUM2 and Gobi direct.

Adam - If you have a close up pic from behind the front lights, i'd appreciate it!!!

SRFCASTR

Hum2
01-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Pic from this past weekend off-roading. I will try and take daytime pics this weekend and post next week.

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net

Hum2
01-13-2004, 10:31 AM

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net

Hum2
01-13-2004, 10:31 AM

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net

Hum2
01-13-2004, 10:33 AM
300#s limit evenly distributed...oops...more like 600#s....what a great rack! Go GOBI!

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net

Hum2
01-13-2004, 10:37 AM
Alec has one of 5 of us plus a tire on his or Blakes rig...that would be close to 1000#s.

How did I stray from the subject.....sorry!

Wiring pics later.

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net

cinci
01-13-2004, 10:51 AM
Ric,

Did you get the Ion Crystal driving or fog lights or did you get the clear driving lights for your rack? I just ordered one and it should be delivered today.

Did you install the lights on the rack prior to installing the rack on the truck? It seems that this would be an easier way to do the wiring but I am interested in your opinion.

Thanks,
David
Black H2

Hum2
01-13-2004, 02:09 PM
Hey David:

I have 4 PIAA spots on the front and put the 2 flood/fogs on the rear for back lighting...they come in handy for closing gates in the dark after passing thru.

I still need to modify the PIAA brackets a bit (drill the holes a bit larger so I can aim them a bit better. All 4 seem to focus at one point out front and I want some spread on them.

I did install the lights/wiring on the rack while on the ground....much easier than after the rack is in place. I have a quick disconnect on the wiring after it comes out from the roof marker, so once the roof rack was up, all I had to do was plug them in and mod the aim of the beams.

Getting the rack up was a bit of a trick with my dad's help. We placed heavy shipping quilts over the roof of the truck which allowed us to slide a bit and not scratch the roof while placing the rack into place on it's mounting brackets. We set the rack on 2X4's at the back of the truck(front up in the air) spaced so that the rear lights (which stick out a bit) would not be broken. We installed from the rear of the truck with one of us on each side, lifted/slid the rack up and over the brackets. Then lifted the rack and removed the quilts.

Went on very easily after all.

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net

Centerfire
01-13-2004, 02:45 PM
Damn Ric, you had help.. I had to do it myself.. I hoisted up in the barn and drove under it... Then lowered one end at a time.. then aligned it by hand.. The only hard part was finding the line to pull it up in the rafters. My original barn burned down in June along with all my stuff.. I have the new barn almost finished. Just haven't replaced all the little gadgets and widgets as of yet.

I'm sure it would have been easier with a 2nd pair of hands.

Mike<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hum2:
Hey David:

I have 4 PIAA spots on the front and put the 2 flood/fogs on the rear for back lighting...they come in handy for closing gates in the dark after passing thru.

I still need to modify the PIAA brackets a bit (drill the holes a bit larger so I can aim them a bit better. All 4 seem to focus at one point out front and I want some spread on them.

I did install the lights/wiring on the rack while on the ground....much easier than after the rack is in place. I have a quick disconnect on the wiring after it comes out from the roof marker, so once the roof rack was up, all I had to do was plug them in and mod the aim of the beams.

Getting the rack up was a bit of a trick with my dad's help. We placed heavy shipping quilts over the roof of the truck which allowed us to slide a bit and not scratch the roof while placing the rack into place on it's mounting brackets. We set the rack on 2X4's at the back of the truck(front up in the air) spaced so that the rear lights (which stick out a bit) would not be broken. We installed from the rear of the truck with one of us on each side, lifted/slid the rack up and over the brackets. Then lifted the rack and removed the quilts.

Went on very easily after all.

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hum2
01-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Hey Mike:

At least you had a barn to hoist the rack up into!

http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net

Acheron
01-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Could be worse. I had to utilize two girls that weren't even as tall has the roof. I still can't believe that I got the thing on.

Acheron
01-13-2004, 11:23 PM
Ric -

Which holes did you drill out bigger to adjust the lights? Did you drill out the side ones the light mount into to adjust the lights up and down or did you drill out the bottom holes to adjust the lights from side to side?

Centerfire
01-14-2004, 12:02 PM
You got me there.. The most time consuming part was finding something to use as a hoist.. My new barn is up ,but not finished and I've not replaced all the gadgets and widgets that went up with the old barn.. I buy them as I miss them... Been working on rebuild of barn since AUgust.. hopefully will be done soon.

At least I was out of the rain and cold. Not to mention the barn is over 50ft from the house so I am in charge of the barn.. WIfe has control of house and a 50 ft circle around it.

I still need to run all the wires for the lights and will do so as soon as they all get here. ONly want to tear into it once.

Mike
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hum2:
Hey Mike:

At least you had a barn to hoist the rack up into!

http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hum2
01-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Acheron:

I haven't done so yet but will probably do both to have better range when adjusting.

Mike:

Good luck finishing the barn...every mans' dream is to have their own space like that. LOL on the "house and a 50 ft circle" http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net

cinci
01-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Ric,

I am just finishing installing my stealth rack as I am typing this. I wanted four of the fogs for the outside two lights up front and for the two lights in the back. However, after talking to the guys at Hummer Solutions, they advised that they had had complaints with the fog lights since they were the crystal ion lights that give off a yellow light. They recommended that I go with all six of the clear driving lights, which I did. I haven't had an opportunity to play with them at night but I would still like to have four of the fog lenses if they were clear. Do you know if these are available?

Also, the four brackets that the lights mount to in the front of the rack are adjustable if you loosen the bolt on the bottom of the rack. This will allow you to aim them from side to side. I also ended up turning the housing for the lamps over which gives them a lower mounting height. This gave me greater range of adjustment up and down. I don't know if any of this addresses your problem but I thought it might help.

Additionally, I have the factory sunroof on my H2 and was interested in whether I should remove the factory wind deflector or not. Has any one had this done? Also, the installation directions with my rack were for the full size rack which installs over the factory roof racks. If I try to use the spacing that they call for in the instructions it interferes with the sunroof wind deflector. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
David
Black H2

Centerfire
01-16-2004, 04:15 PM
You should have gotten the 2" brackets.. They will clear the Wind visor for your sunroof. These are the same ones I use for the standard raclk.. & yes you have to take the factory bars off the top.

Mike

Hum2
01-16-2004, 07:18 PM
Hey David:

Agreed, the yellow tint fogs are not what I would have chosen, I have not looked into replacing with clear "floods" yet, but I will. I need the light at the rear to close gates behind me once I pass thru at night. The yellow are OK but not great.

My front lights/brackets are only slightly adjustable. Maybe I just need to flip the bracket around, or the lamps as you did. I need a bit more movement especially the outer 2 which I want to point at the sides of the road ahead, not down the middle of the road where all 4 seem to focus now.

Thanks for the hints!

Can't help you with the sunroof issue as I don't have one. Is Mike's answer above helpful? I couldn't use the higher mount brackets or I wouldn't get in my garage...I now only have .25-.5 inch clear.

I'd call GOBI regarding the Sunroof issues you are having.

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net

cinci
01-17-2004, 01:00 PM
Centerfire,

You are right and it did come with the 2" brackets and they do clear the sunroof. However, I wire tied the wiring harness for the lights to the bottom of the front bracket and with the current positioning of the rack this puts it directly over the sunroof wind deflector. After looking at the situation I didn't see any need for two wind deflectors so I removed the factory one. I can always put it back if I change my mind.

Ric,

The brackets that I was referring to on the front lights were four metal plates with two small threaded screw holes for the two screws that mount the brackets that came with the PIAA lights. These plates also have a threaded bolt hole in the middle where they are attached to the light bracket of the rack by a bolt from through the bottom. If you loosen this bolt you can pivot the light left or right 360 degrees. This is the way it works with my rack, I don't know if the design is different from previous models.

Thanks,
David
Black H2

Hum2
01-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Thanks cincih2:

I didn't think to check the rack, light mounting bracket...may be just what I need.

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net

Hum2
01-23-2004, 02:10 PM
Hey cincih2:

Checked what you pointed out to me...they do rotate..cool...except for the 2 center ones as they rest up against the front wind deflector brackets so there is no ability to rotate the plate. Oh well, the outer 2 will help.

Thanks much!!

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net