PDA

View Full Version : Front wipers, snow and defroster

HummerN23
02-16-2003, 09:49 PM
Wow. 15 degrees here. 20" snow. DC Area it's like a disaster, states of emergency yada yada yada.

anyway, driving to 50 miles round trip to work today, went fine except for the front windshield. I had the defroster on 90 degrees cause the windshield kept icing up where the driver side wiper stops. then the wiper would ice up then the whole window iced up. what's up with that??? this iced up after about 35 minutes. i stopped and cleared off the front window then it iced up again in about 10 minutes. then the defroster would stop for about two seconds every five minutes or so...

then the rear window iced up after about 45 minutes even with the rear defroster on and the wiper running.

WHAT'S UP WITH THAT???

HummerN23
02-16-2003, 09:49 PM
Wow. 15 degrees here. 20" snow. DC Area it's like a disaster, states of emergency yada yada yada.

anyway, driving to 50 miles round trip to work today, went fine except for the front windshield. I had the defroster on 90 degrees cause the windshield kept icing up where the driver side wiper stops. then the wiper would ice up then the whole window iced up. what's up with that??? this iced up after about 35 minutes. i stopped and cleared off the front window then it iced up again in about 10 minutes. then the defroster would stop for about two seconds every five minutes or so...

then the rear window iced up after about 45 minutes even with the rear defroster on and the wiper running.

WHAT'S UP WITH THAT???

JohnnyBoy
02-17-2003, 01:45 AM
We get lots of snow here aswell. No problems yet. They got these little gadgets over here that go on your wiper, then theres a switch inside you hit and it shakes the ice off you wipers. The dealer wants about $500.00 to install, but I don't think I need it.

==================================
'03 Hummer H2 Adv./Lux. Pkgs. Sunset Orange W/Sunroof
Air Spring Susp. Pkg. + 3rd. row seat & DVD System.
CompuStar Auto Security/Remote Starter.
http://www.haugens.com

MAC
02-17-2003, 04:15 AM
On a ski trip, I just went through a snow storm last night in the North Lake Tahoe area, have no problem with anything. Entire Hummer was covered in snow, just turned the key and drove on through the ice and snow in 4Hi, without pushing any of the special buttons on the dash. Wipers front and back all working, side mirrors folded and unfolded, etc.

BKLYNH2
02-18-2003, 01:26 AM
Just drove 6 hours in the blizzard of the century (ha ha) and have to say the wiper, defroster situation leaves alot to be desired. After about two hours we had an icy build up at the bottom of the winshield, the sides and on the blades. Putting the defrost on high and 90° didn't help much. I had to pull over two times to bang the stuff off.

Grim_Smoker
02-18-2003, 05:48 PM
I have experienced this problem many many times as well. Yesterday we got over a foot of snow, maybe 1.5', and the hummer goes through it all no problem....But I had to stop every 15 minutes or so to clean off my wipers (kept icing up) and Windshield (iced up on left side where wiper can't reach). This happened so many times yesterday, I was just out driving for fun with my girlfriend, enjoying the snow storm (I love snow), that I finally decided to just go home. I really hope theres something we can do about this...

-Grim

2003 Sunset Metalic Orange H2

2003 Millenium Yellow Z06

GoVols
02-18-2003, 06:15 PM
Hey everyone,

I found this recall notice, maybe this is the problem.
Not much snow to worry about in West Tennessee. What can we do to get some down here?

http://www.safetyalerts.com/recall/a/02/v00540.htm

PARAGON
02-19-2003, 12:21 AM
I'll admit that I am one of the last H2 owners that should be addressing this problem since I live in the deep south, but I wonder if using the defrost too much is not part of the problem.

By applying the heat directly to the windshield you would be causing the snow to melt and upon melting the water would flow down and freeze on the lower part of the windshield and the wipers. Something is causing the snow to melt for it to re-freeze as ice on the wipers. It might even be engine heat escaping. Just some thoughts on the subject.

dhummer
02-19-2003, 01:19 AM
Frequent use of windshield washer fluid with antifreeze seemed to help from icing while going skiing past Hagerstown in the midst of the recent snow kept me on the road.

HHummer
02-19-2003, 03:14 AM
I have used Anco winter blades for snow plowing for years and they help alot. They are not expensive and have a light rubber boot around the tension arms that solves most of the problem inexpensively. You will still have to clear them but not as often and they clear better. Save the standard blades and switch back in the summer.

Happy Hummer
02-19-2003, 05:09 PM
I too was out in the 2 feet of snow and the icing occured on the front wipers. I bought some prestone de-icer and sprayed the front wipers and glass and it seemed to help out.

I would think we are having this problem because the windshield is straight up. The defroster can't hit the glass were the wipers sit. I know some cars come with a defroster built in the glass were the wipers sit. The H1 also has a defroster built into the whole windshield, why can't we get something like that as a option???

ROB

2003 Hummer H2, Black Lux. Pkg, Breathless HID lights and Stage 2B engine kit, Mazzi Maximus 18" chrome wheels and BFG 35X12.50 18 KM Mud Terrain Tires, Alpine DVD Navigation System, Myron & Davis 7" headrest monitors, Audiovox 10 disc DVD Changer, XM Delphi Satellite radio, NSXTC DRL upgrade, Whelen Air Horn
2002 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
2003 Dodge Viper SRT/10 #150
2003 Honda Odyssey EX
2003 Harley V-Rod Radical Red #68 of 200
http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/robydi2001

Dan
02-19-2003, 06:54 PM
I saw somewhere wiper de-icers. Looked like a wire that ran along each blade & kept them warm. If I see them again I'll post...

- Dan

---------------------------------
SUT on order - 17 months to go!
---------------------------------

HummerGUY
02-19-2003, 10:09 PM
Here is the wiper heaters

Wiper heaters (http://www.myles-rec.com/Transportation/rostra/wipers/hot_blades.htm)

BKLYNH2
02-20-2003, 01:50 AM
I used to have a Subaru that had a switch for winter/summer wiper position. What this did was keep the blades from traveling as far down towards the dash as they would in the summer mode. GM this might be a good idea to copy In addition to this the left most area of the winshield seems to be a collection area for ice too. An additional vent in the dash corners would be good. Happy Hummer I agree that the vertical winshiel is to blame and the fact that the H1 has built in (electronic) is a dead giveaway that the vertical winshield has this problem naturally.
Peter

ToughGirl
02-20-2003, 05:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Happy Hummer:
I too was out in the 2 feet of snow and the icing occured on the front wipers. I bought some prestone de-icer and sprayed the front wipers and glass and it seemed to help out.

I would think we are having this problem because the windshield is straight up. The defroster can't hit the glass were the wipers sit. I know some cars come with a defroster built in the glass were the wipers sit. The H1 also has a defroster built into the whole windshield, why can't we get something like that as a option???

ROB

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We used to have a Discovery II with the heated windshield. The Disco has the same fairly vertical windshield as the H2 that is prone to chips that lead to cracks - it is not cheap to replace those windshields. It was $1000 a pop (yeah, insurance paid for some. Maybe half I think) and it seemed like every week we had a new crack. That's the big minus with those. Not sure if that's exactly what you were talking about though.

JQ
02-22-2003, 05:17 PM
YOU NEED TO KEEP AN EYE ON THE TEMP. WHEN THE SETING IN ON FULL FRONT DEFROST (AUTO)...TEMP. CHANGES TO KEEP WINDSHIELD AS CLEAR AS POSSIBLE

SET IT ON PARTIAL (MANUAL) AND THE 90 DEGREES SETTING WILL REMAIN CONSISTENT AND WINDOWS WILL BE FINE.

I LIVE IN MARLTON NJ, WE GOT OVER 30" AND IN THE TEENS, PLAYED WITH H2 FOR OVER 3HOURS---NO PROBLEM http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

YELLOW
LUX PKG
AIR SUSP
SUNROOF
EVERYTHING POSSIBLE
JULY 15, 2002

=joel