PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket head units with bose stock amps/spkrs

JohnnyRPM
05-06-2004, 01:05 PM
Sorry....I'm back again with audio questions.

For those of you using the PAC (or otherwise) adaptors with aftermarket heads while retaining the rest of the stock system....

How does it sound? Obviously the stock system is limited by it's quality...but before I totally throw it out as an option I'd like to hear from those who have done it. I'd like to avoid spending too much more money right now and if the stock stuff is acceptable enough to tide me over I'll wait on upgrading the 6.5s.

If it really sounds lousy I'll drop the bucks now and have them rewire the whole thing. Tweeter is telling me it'll work, but will sound like crap. Sounds like an up-sell to me.

I've got the Kenwood KVT-915dvd, a Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X810D amp to power a JL Stealthbox...all of which I'm hoping can just tie into the stock system for a while.

Thanks again gang...

-John

JohnnyRPM

For those of you using the PAC (or otherwise) adaptors with aftermarket heads while retaining the rest of the stock system....

How does it sound? Obviously the stock system is limited by it's quality...but before I totally throw it out as an option I'd like to hear from those who have done it. I'd like to avoid spending too much more money right now and if the stock stuff is acceptable enough to tide me over I'll wait on upgrading the 6.5s.

If it really sounds lousy I'll drop the bucks now and have them rewire the whole thing. Tweeter is telling me it'll work, but will sound like crap. Sounds like an up-sell to me.

I've got the Kenwood KVT-915dvd, a Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X810D amp to power a JL Stealthbox...all of which I'm hoping can just tie into the stock system for a while.

Thanks again gang...

-John

JohnnyRPM

Thanks again gang...

-John

PewterPower
05-06-2004, 01:16 PM
I replaced my speakers with MBQuart, both front and rear, installed a 5-channel Xtant amp and a single 10" Orion Sub using the stock head unit.....sounds MUCH better than factory.

I have not replaced the head unit because I was waiting for an in-dash screen that was of reputable quality....Alpine, Kenwood, etc. I have been reading and I do believe that Kenwood is now making something...I've been partial to Alpine in the past for quality reasons.

Anyway....wanted to let you know what I've done. One key thing to remember....in order to tie-in to the existing system...you'll need to have an amp that can accept an 'already amplified' signal....The only downside to my installation is that when the key is turned off..the only speakers that remain powered up are the ones way in the rear....the Onstar speakers....kinda defeats the feature of being able to listen to music until the doors open..but there ARE worse things.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

JohnnyRPM
05-06-2004, 03:45 PM
Actually I'm looking to do the opposite of your setup I think. You replaced your speakers and kept the head unit....I'm looking to replace the head to get DVD and TV functions and keep the stock bose stuff for a while...again assuming people here have done same with decent results.

When I do upgrade I'm likely to go the MB Quart route myself....I've heard great things about them from people like yourself.

I think I have the onstar chime and power delay things licked too...the PAC adaptors should allow me to keep all that functionality.

frank6150
05-06-2004, 05:14 PM
I pretty much have done what you are talking about. I had my head unit changed out but the stock speakers are still the same. All the factory speakers still run off the bose amp so there really will be no change to the sound. I believe the PAC adapter just allows you to hook the radio up to the bose system but you aren't using the wattage from the head unit to power the speakers.

You will also need more than 1 adapter to continue to use the on-star and the steering wheel controls. I didn't do the install on mine so I'm not 100% sure how many adapters were used but I think it was 3. 1 for the radio, 1 for on-star and 1 for the steering wheel controls. I did attempt it myself and I ordered all the wrong adapters so I broke down and took it to my buddy to have it done.

JohnnyRPM
05-06-2004, 06:09 PM
cool...thanks Frank...exactly what I was lookin for.

Yeah, I need the os2 adaptor, the chime adaptor and I'm going to get the steering wheel adaptor too. Even if it only lets me keep volume it'll be worth it.

I could probably do it myself but I'm gonna have Tweeter do it anyway just to save the hassle and make sure it's done right. Not to mention the only dash kit I've found has the head unit in the top half of the double DIN opening and to make sure I clear the eyeball vents I'd like it mounted in the lower half, with the storage bay in the top half.

NJ H2
05-06-2004, 08:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JohnnyRPM:

Thanks again gang...

-John <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did what you are looking to do. Rosen/Necvox head unit, JL Stealth SUB, and kept my OEM Speakers. The sound is very good, much better than stock. I may change the speakers someday but I not to sure I need to. I think it the sound is great but as you know there is ALWAYS room for improvement http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif