PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Nav Question?

H2-NY-1
04-12-2004, 11:00 AM
Does amyone know how to add "XM" to the head unit. I was in Denali the other day. And I has the same unit. I saw that it had XM. The dealer told me that it wasn't an option for the H2. Looks like the same unit to me.

H2-NY-1
Does amyone know how to add "XM" to the head unit. I was in Denali the other day. And I has the same unit. I saw that it had XM. The dealer told me that it wasn't an option for the H2. Looks like the same unit to me.

H2-NY-1

Klaus
04-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Adding the Factory XM is not an option, as GM does not sell the digital tuner as a part.

There are a couple of adapters that allow you to connect a Pioneer XM module to the factory radio.

Also, there is a new adapter that allows AUX inputs to your factory radio. You could connect a SkyFi directly to this adapter.

Do searches on PIOGM1, AAI-GM24, and XM.

Hummer Man
04-13-2004, 12:20 AM
We have added the 2004 NAV system to several 2003's but seem to have problems with some of the first units produced. In fact we have had problems with all of the H2's that were within the first 30 serial numbers (a total of 6 is what we have attempted the conversion on) is thier a inside tech guy that can explain the wiring harness change that occured on the first day after the pilot run. Is it something we can convert those original ones to. We actually have the first unit to roll of the line in to be converted!
PLEASE HELP!

pushrod
04-13-2004, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Klaus:
Adding the Factory XM is not an option, as GM does not sell the digital tuner as a part.

Hey, Klaus. What about buying a factory 6 disc CD with XM already installed? GM is selling that unit in quite a number of trucks now. My wife has one in her '03 Tahoe. If one could be found, could you just plug it in and install an antenna on the roof?

Klaus
04-13-2004, 04:17 PM
Pushrod,

The problem is that the XM Radio Module (Digital Tuner) is a completely separate box from the head unit. It is usually mounted in the dash behind the glove box, out of sight.

This box cannot be bought as a part, as GM has it on parts restriction. Also, it locks itself to the VIN number of the vehicle it is installed in, and will display "Locked" on the radio display if moved to another vehicle. Dealers cannot unlock the XM Digital Tuner Box. They must send it in to GM/Delphi for a replacement if there is a problem with it. Therefore, a used part is not an option, either.

Sorry...

Klaus
04-13-2004, 04:22 PM
Hummer Man,

I'm still looking for my check in the mail for my cut as technical consultant for all that money you made swapping out NAV units. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

pushrod
04-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Well, thanks for explaining that, Klaus. I guess the only option for XM is some aftermarket POS stuck on the dashboard.

What really pisses me off about all this is that before I bought my H2 at the end of January, I wrote Hummer and asked about when XM radio would be available. I told them that half the Chevy pickups I see have XM, and wondered why they didn't offer it. The response was some kind of mumbo-jumbo about how there were a lot technical issues that they had not been able to sort out and that the availability of XM in the future was doubtful. Now I see that it is going to be standard on the SUT when it comes out in a month or two. The SOBs flat lied to me!

Klaus
04-13-2004, 05:55 PM
I don't know if they lied, or just failed to appreciate how popular XM would be.

I suspect one reason the FM antenna was moved to the side of the truck was to make space on the roof for the XM Radio antenna.

If you can wait 2 or 3 months, XM Direct may turn out to be a great system.

H2-NY-1
04-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Wow thanks Guys. I guess I'm not the only one looking to do this. Thanks for the input. Will try another route.

PARAGON
04-13-2004, 08:34 PM
I wonder if you could get the XM tuner somehow through Delco Electronics.

It would seem that the stock head unit is set up for XM and if you could figure out how to add it to the Bus it would "receive" the signals from the XM receiver and show up as the Aux input. I am having a Deja Vu moment, though, and seems I have been through this before.

H2_SUT_SC
04-13-2004, 08:42 PM
My H2 SUT is coming with XM along with the DVD NAV. Maybe it's a new option with the DVD NAV.

Hummer Man
04-13-2004, 08:43 PM
You can reprogram the VIN lockout with a EPROM Burner and a cable extension! You can also allow it to see both in a ghosting mode with the new code rewritten to check 2 locations!

PARAGON
04-13-2004, 09:00 PM
I agree with Hummer Man(ic)

Klaus
04-14-2004, 01:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PARAGON:
It would seem that the stock head unit is set up for XM and if you could figure out how to add it to the Bus it would "receive" the signals from the XM receiver and show up as the Aux input. I am having a Deja Vu moment, though, and seems I have been through this before. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly how it works. I have all the wiring diagrams. There is a second set of input pins (L, R, and common) that is unused and empty in the radio head unit connector. These are used for either the XM Radio Module or the AUX 6 CD Changer. The XM Module or the 6 CD Changer also connects to the Class 2 Data Bus to "announce" the device to the rest of the system. That's how the head unit knows to display the options for the extra device.

Right now the GM XM Modules are like hen's teeth. I still think the official XM Radio GM setup, called XM Direct, will be a good setup.

Here's the BMW version of XM Direct:

http://store.myradiostore.com/xmdireforbm.html

H2-NY-1
04-14-2004, 10:09 PM
H2_SUT_SC I Have the DVD Nav The dealer told me that was not an option. I hope your wrong for the salemans sake. I will go down to the dealer and bitch. Thanks for the heads up.

KIDZBOX
04-18-2004, 05:57 AM
Just installed a Pioneer XM radio into my '04 with factory Nav. Used a Soundgate PIOGM1 to hook it in. Works like a charm. XM1 and XM2 now show up behind AM, FM1, FM2. I get the XM text messaging and station info on my screen.

Main drawback is you can't enter a station number directly, you have to scan thru each station 100+ ! (or program the recall buttons at various stations in the range so you can at least get close to a number range)

Klaus
04-18-2004, 11:46 AM
Kidzbox,

How many characters do you get for the song and artist? XM broadcasts 16 characters for each.

Woogy
04-18-2004, 02:05 PM
Klaus,

Are you saying that the XM Direct solution will work with the stock six disk unit in a '03?

KIDZBOX
04-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Klaus.

8 for the channel title - Radio Di - instead of Radio Disney

7 for the artist and 7 for the Title

Klaus
04-18-2004, 05:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Woogy:
Klaus,

Are you saying that the XM Direct solution will work with the stock six disk unit in a '03? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It should. It will be an official XM Radio product. Blitzsafe and Terk are working with XM Radio to develop the package.

Blitzsafe is saying it should be available this summer.

Klaus
05-04-2004, 02:38 AM
I got this from Terk Monday:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Dear Klaus,

We still do not have much information on the XMDirect other then
at this point it looks like July will be the month of release. Please
let me know if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Zac Garsik

Contact Information:
Zac Garsik
Technical Support Manager
TERK Technologies Corp.
63 Mall Dr.
Commack, NY 11725
Phone: 631-543-1900 Ext. 106
Fax: 631-543-8088
E-mail: zgarsik@terk.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ATRH2
05-04-2004, 04:03 PM
What Exactly is "XM Direct"?
How does it differ from say a skyfi unit?

Klaus
05-04-2004, 10:43 PM
XM RADIO TO SHOWCASE NEW XM DIRECT KITS AT NADA SHOW THIS WEEK

Washington D.C., January 28, 2004 -- XM Satellite Radio (NASDAQ: XMSR), the nation's leading provider of satellite radio, will demonstrate major new products for automobile dealerships at the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) Convention & Exposition in Las Vegas beginning January 31.

XM Direct for automobile dealerships

XM Radio will show XM Direct satellite radio vehicle kits designed to enable specific Ford and Chrysler vehicles with satellite-ready radios to receive XM Radio. The XM Direct kits are comprised of a universal tuner box and smart digital adapter cables. The adapter cables for Ford vehicles are produced by BlitzSafe, Inc. The Chrysler cables are produced by Terk Technologies.

With an XM Direct kit, the driver can listen to XM Radio on the in-dash stereo using the existing stereo controls and display screen.

"XM Direct represents another important step in broadening the availability of XM Radio to auto dealers nationwide," said Dan Murphy, Senior Vice President, Product Marketing and Distribution, XM Satellite Radio. "Dealers want to be able to offer their customers the best choices on the market, and the number-one choice for satellite radio is XM."

XM Direct distributors Satellite Radios Direct (SRD) and AER Technologies will make the XM Direct kits available for Ford and Chrysler dealerships for delivery in May 2004. XM Direct kits for BMW and Mini vehicles are currently available through SRD. The kits have a suggested retail price of $399 installed.

Orders for XM Direct kits and on-site demonstrations will take place at the NADA show in booth #2401.

http://www.xmradio.com/newsroom/screen/pr_2004_01_28_1.html

Klaus
05-10-2004, 07:59 PM
New info on XM Direct:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-GQcGUlZcFla/cgi-bin/prodgroup.asp?s=0&cc=01&g=178550&est=&search=xm+direct

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-GQcGUlZcFla/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?s=0&cc=01&i=209XMD1000&g=176850&search=xm+direct

http://www.terk.com/direct.html