PDA

View Full Version : Navigation, DVD Player, PC installed in the H2?

kalantar
04-11-2004, 09:37 AM
I recently purchased a 2004 H2 Lux and was told to stay away from the factory navigation, due to its inability to navigate and play cds at the same time.

My H2 is my office. I am involved with Commerical Real Estate (investments, developments, brokerage, etc.) so I am always on the road and need navigation.

I currently use Map Point as a mapping software for all my needs. It is an awesome program, you can type in an address and within a few seconds you have the location on the screen. It shows you the quickest route, mileage, gas costs, local freeway construction, local hotspots, gas stations, hotels etc. You can also plan multiple destinations per your route. You name it, it can do it and you can install an external GPS sensor as well. The traditional navigation systems I have seen, seem to take alot longer to input the information and may or may not have all the features.

My goal is to be able to have one unit to play dvds, watch tv and have navigation capabilities, all in one. If I can use the same unit to check and send emails, why not. I will eventually need internet access as well.

So here is my question...

Has anyone seen an integrated pc inside the Hummer? I am considering buying a small laptop for $1400, buy a GPS tracker ($200) and have it installed (internally or externally). They have vehicle computer stands which go for about $300, which is more than I care to spend, but will fit my needs. Add another $200 for Sprint wireless internet ($80 monthly fee), in addition to my printer in the trunk, I have a fully operational mobile office. And oh yeah, I want something with a clean install (since I am dreaming, might as well dream big!!).

Another option is to place the laptop in the trunk, setup a docking station and run wires for the monitor in the front console and a keyboard with an integrates mouse. Throw in the navigation adapter and wireless card, I should be in business. This should seem to be a clean install, with all the wires in the back or unexposed.

Is anyone else in the business or needs the same setup? Any suggestions?

kalantar
I recently purchased a 2004 H2 Lux and was told to stay away from the factory navigation, due to its inability to navigate and play cds at the same time.

My H2 is my office. I am involved with Commerical Real Estate (investments, developments, brokerage, etc.) so I am always on the road and need navigation.

I currently use Map Point as a mapping software for all my needs. It is an awesome program, you can type in an address and within a few seconds you have the location on the screen. It shows you the quickest route, mileage, gas costs, local freeway construction, local hotspots, gas stations, hotels etc. You can also plan multiple destinations per your route. You name it, it can do it and you can install an external GPS sensor as well. The traditional navigation systems I have seen, seem to take alot longer to input the information and may or may not have all the features.

My goal is to be able to have one unit to play dvds, watch tv and have navigation capabilities, all in one. If I can use the same unit to check and send emails, why not. I will eventually need internet access as well.

Has anyone seen an integrated pc inside the Hummer? I am considering buying a small laptop for $1400, buy a GPS tracker ($200) and have it installed (internally or externally). They have vehicle computer stands which go for about $300, which is more than I care to spend, but will fit my needs. Add another $200 for Sprint wireless internet ($80 monthly fee), in addition to my printer in the trunk, I have a fully operational mobile office. And oh yeah, I want something with a clean install (since I am dreaming, might as well dream big!!).

Another option is to place the laptop in the trunk, setup a docking station and run wires for the monitor in the front console and a keyboard with an integrates mouse. Throw in the navigation adapter and wireless card, I should be in business. This should seem to be a clean install, with all the wires in the back or unexposed.

kalantar

NJ H2
04-11-2004, 11:40 PM
I'm not to sure about installing everrything the way you want but here are some cheap laptop stands:
STAND 1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31534&item=3473469085&rd=1)

STAND 2 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31529&item=3472884511&rd=1)

DO IT YOURSELF STAND (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31534&item=3473410074&rd=1)

kalantar
04-12-2004, 02:22 AM
Have you seen any of these laptop stands in person? Are they sturdy?

NJ H2
04-12-2004, 03:14 PM
You get what you pay for but my Father has STAND 1 in his RV for the past year and it's not bad. For the RV it works great but I'm not to sure about putting it in the H2. I would get something that looks a little nicer.

NJ H2
04-12-2004, 03:28 PM
I had taken a trip a few years ago to Memphis and brought my laptop along w/installed a NAV program. The tracking leaves a lot to be desired and so does the signal strength. The perm. installed NAV systems are 1000% better.
You can also search out Points of Interest ie: Hotels, gas, stores, ferry's, resteraunts (by type)etc.
The Alpine has 10,000,000 places programed in to it. and gives eta, time, dest by lat on lon. and is very easy to program

H2_SUT_SC
04-12-2004, 03:57 PM
http://www.xenarcdirect.com

They have your DIN sized computers as well as touch screen monitors that you can display Windows XP on that will fit in the dash.