PDA

View Full Version : Custom mounting ideas for backup cameras?

OrangeCrush
10-22-2005, 11:52 PM
When I sold my Yukon, I had (2) lipstick style cameras mounted on the truck. One was in the keyhole so I could have the video on and watch was was going on behind me and one was for the hitch.

I'm going to order the one that takes the place of the rear center third brake light so I can see the hitch but where have you guys seen a camera mounted just to view out the back?

There is no keyhole to put a lipstick cam in and I want something to mount flush. I have searched over 20 pages and can't find anything suitable.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

OrangeCrush
10-22-2005, 11:52 PM
When I sold my Yukon, I had (2) lipstick style cameras mounted on the truck. One was in the keyhole so I could have the video on and watch was was going on behind me and one was for the hitch.

I'm going to order the one that takes the place of the rear center third brake light so I can see the hitch but where have you guys seen a camera mounted just to view out the back?

There is no keyhole to put a lipstick cam in and I want something to mount flush. I have searched over 20 pages and can't find anything suitable.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

rodster
10-23-2005, 12:15 AM
Hitchcam's Framecam?

http://i12.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/7c/19/1c_1_b.JPG

OrangeCrush
10-23-2005, 12:26 AM
Rod,

I looked at that but it simply looked a) too bulbous and b) too easy to steal/destroy.

I'm wondering if I could use a hole saw and mount the camera in the panel that holds the license plate.
Too bad the camera that points down on the hitch from the 3rd brake light does rotate upwards to be used as a rear view camera.

Mark

WZOMBIE
10-24-2005, 02:15 AM
I just put it on the middle marker light near the roof

rocketw19
10-24-2005, 02:34 AM
sut in the center cap of the fifth wheel! i have no idea if you have your spare in or out side?

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
10-24-2005, 03:09 AM
I have seen people use the lipstick cameras and install on on each side of the rear bumper just like you werre using it in the key hole. You can get tthem where they have a degree of angle to them even though You would mount them flat.

TAZ

OrangeCrush
10-24-2005, 08:29 AM
Wzombie,

That is where the rear hitch cam goes but I want another one just to view what's behind me.

Hummercustoms,

Both of my cameras were lipstick cams. The one mounted in the keyhold was a perfect fit diameter. The one pointed to the hitch was mounted on the bottom of the bumper and looked okay. The problem is, the H2 has such a smooth rear bumper to it, I don't want to have something just hanging there if ya know what I mean.

Rocket,

Unfortunately, my spare is on the inside... otherwise, that's and EXCELLENT idea. I may have to move it outside just for that reason.

Thanks guys,

Mark

captainmike
10-25-2005, 06:10 PM
i was going to mount mine in the spare tire license plate holder. I checked it out and I can see my hitch with the extended receiver on it. But i was also looking at putting a jerry can mount on the back of the spare. javascript:zoom('http://static.zoovy.com/img/offroadrecovery/-/confer_spare_tire_adaptor_installed')
SO i have decieded against it until i figure out where to mount my jerry cans.

OrangeCrush
10-25-2005, 09:33 PM
Phil,

Thanks, it's funny, I looked for almost 2 hours and had never seen the unicam. I think that'll work perfect. Do you know if it's adjustable at all? Though it would be at a perfect level around the license plate, it would look better in the rear bumper. Hopefully with the lift kit, it'll be about the right height.

Mark

OrangeCrush
10-26-2005, 07:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
Mark, It isn't truly adjustable, but does come with ana assortment of angle washers that allow for some adjustment at the time of install. Some thought to the exact placement may be required. I'd wire it all up and get someone to hold it perpendicular to different mounting positions, until you find one that works best.

The complete kit with monitor, camera, etc should cost you no more than $500, although you will find them for $450 from time to time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil,

Thanks. I agree with the friend holding it. (THE CAMERA I mean...lol) If the kit comes with angle washers, I'm sure that'll make the difference.

I took my rear bumper off yesterday to see what was behind it and noticed there is a ton of space behind it. I may even put it to the side of the license plate....

Thank you,

Mark