PDA

View Full Version : Trailer brake controller wiring

aarne
10-31-2004, 08:54 PM
My solution to connecting an electronic brake control (PowerStop) to the H2, after getting no where with the dealer, is to find the necessary wires myself and bypass the off-road harness. In the 7-wire connector at the rear bumper, all the wires are fine except the variable-voltage red wire that should connect to the controller. Does anyone know where I can locate the other end of that red wire under the hood or under the dash? Thanks.

By the way, I also think that GM should cover this business in a professional manner. My 1989 Expedition came with the harness, a plug under the dash and a set of instructions. That worked beautifully.

aarne
My solution to connecting an electronic brake control (PowerStop) to the H2, after getting no where with the dealer, is to find the necessary wires myself and bypass the off-road harness. In the 7-wire connector at the rear bumper, all the wires are fine except the variable-voltage red wire that should connect to the controller. Does anyone know where I can locate the other end of that red wire under the hood or under the dash? Thanks.

By the way, I also think that GM should cover this business in a professional manner. My 1989 Expedition came with the harness, a plug under the dash and a set of instructions. That worked beautifully.

aarne

TroysH2
10-31-2004, 10:34 PM
Why do you want to bypass the prewired system. All you should need is a GM adapter harness ($10-15.00) and plug directly in the harness under the driver-side dash. If you have factory off road lights, it should be the same harness(just unplug or rewire). The red wire you mention sounds like a power wire for trailer accessories, ie: interior lights, etc.
good luck