PDA

View Full Version : Firm's Test drive

firm
05-14-2005, 01:24 PM
I ordered a H3 at the end of April. This weekend my dealer had a demo on the lot. White with 33's (the 33's looked great on the car, I am not sure if you will be able to get 35's on the front tires), chrome roof rack (which looked great), and chrome step bars.

My first impression of the car was the solid feel. I loved the sound of the doors closing, the tires were huge, it felt really well built.
So I test drove it, maybe 10-15 miles. The first thing I was concerned about was the acceleration. It was okay(average), not a V8, but not underpowered. I hit 70 on the on ramp without even noticing. The car revs very low so it doesn't feel like it is straining. The ride overall was good. Like I said it feels well built. I don't know if it is because it's a new car. However, when I hit a bump I noticed that the rear axle vibrates a little. I think it's because of the truck base. I was ok with it, but a back seat passenger may not like it.
This car is HUGE! I loved it when I pulled up at a red light only to look down on the Tahoe next to me, as he drolled over my ride. I passed a suburban, and again had to look down You definitely sit up high. The interior was great. Very plush and comfortable. The seats felt good, the fabric was nice. I love the size of the steering wheel. It is a fatter than most cars, and the wheel is smaller. I felt like I had really good control of the car. I think this is why the turning radius is so good, because of the small wheel. The radio (monsoon) was a little weak, but I have two 12's in my car now. The cargo area is a little small, but I'm sure you can sqeeze the luggage for a family of four in there(might be a little tight). The mirror has on star and compass, and temp. The view out of the car while driving is a little limited. The windows are small. The front window felt like a mile away, the rear view mirror was attached to the front, I had to reach way out to adjust it. I think once you get use to your blind spots, like any car, it will be okay. I definitely noticed a blind spot on my left. A lady who was sitting in the back while I test drove it felt a little clostrophobic (sp?) Keep that in mind if you plan on hauling any drunk girls in the back. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
One draw back...you can not put the car in neutral for hauling on the automatic (for you RV'ers). Overall, I really like the car, I felt my schlong grow 3 inches while behind the wheel. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Definitely a great truck! Hope that helps

firm
05-14-2005, 01:24 PM
I ordered a H3 at the end of April. This weekend my dealer had a demo on the lot. White with 33's (the 33's looked great on the car, I am not sure if you will be able to get 35's on the front tires), chrome roof rack (which looked great), and chrome step bars.

My first impression of the car was the solid feel. I loved the sound of the doors closing, the tires were huge, it felt really well built.
So I test drove it, maybe 10-15 miles. The first thing I was concerned about was the acceleration. It was okay(average), not a V8, but not underpowered. I hit 70 on the on ramp without even noticing. The car revs very low so it doesn't feel like it is straining. The ride overall was good. Like I said it feels well built. I don't know if it is because it's a new car. However, when I hit a bump I noticed that the rear axle vibrates a little. I think it's because of the truck base. I was ok with it, but a back seat passenger may not like it.
This car is HUGE! I loved it when I pulled up at a red light only to look down on the Tahoe next to me, as he drolled over my ride. I passed a suburban, and again had to look down You definitely sit up high. The interior was great. Very plush and comfortable. The seats felt good, the fabric was nice. I love the size of the steering wheel. It is a fatter than most cars, and the wheel is smaller. I felt like I had really good control of the car. I think this is why the turning radius is so good, because of the small wheel. The radio (monsoon) was a little weak, but I have two 12's in my car now. The cargo area is a little small, but I'm sure you can sqeeze the luggage for a family of four in there(might be a little tight). The mirror has on star and compass, and temp. The view out of the car while driving is a little limited. The windows are small. The front window felt like a mile away, the rear view mirror was attached to the front, I had to reach way out to adjust it. I think once you get use to your blind spots, like any car, it will be okay. I definitely noticed a blind spot on my left. A lady who was sitting in the back while I test drove it felt a little clostrophobic (sp?) Keep that in mind if you plan on hauling any drunk girls in the back. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
One draw back...you can not put the car in neutral for hauling on the automatic (for you RV'ers). Overall, I really like the car, I felt my schlong grow 3 inches while behind the wheel. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Definitely a great truck! Hope that helps

HummerNewbie
05-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Firm,

Thanks for the great post. Where are you located? My dealer was telling me a couple of weeks ago that he is going up to Georgia to drive one in June. That tells me that we won't even see any demos around here for a month or two. How was the leg room from the driver's seat? I am surprised you were looking down on such sizable vehicles. I LOVE IT. It's taller, but how about overall size? Either physically or just the impression of larger size. Does it seem like a baby hummer? One of the things I love about the H2 is it's size but am hesitant about the H3. I don't want to be driving a mini H2. Can't wait until mine gets here. Hope to actually see one before long.

firm
05-14-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm in jacksonville. My dealer told me he got the H3 from Orlando yesterday, and they have to take it back sunday. Check the dealer on monday they may have it back. The Exterior was huge, but the interior didn't feel as big. My dealer weighs ove 300lbs, and we both had our own space. I've never driven and H2, but seeing them next to each other the H3 doesn't look like a baby, more like a younger sibling. Definitely not a cute ute.

HummerNewbie
05-14-2005, 05:27 PM
Firm,

Thanks for the info. I will definitely call the dealer and ask about the demo. Who knows, maybe they have another one here now. I have been absolutely amazed at the lack of info they have had for me. I have provided them with more info than they could provide me. This forum has been a great find for me. Thanks again for the post.

HummerNewbie
05-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Just talked to my dealer and am pissed. He told me that they had a demo a week or so ago but not anymore. Said that they won't be getting on again until early June. Said he though he called me about it. Never got a call but it sure would have been nice seeing that they have my deposit sitting in their bank account. Close to making the 2 hour drive up to your dealer to check it out.

firm
05-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Call Tampa first. The one here in Jax will be here to tommorow, dealer closes at 6

oneworld
05-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Firm thanks for the post can you please explain the vibration in the rear axle again, is it very noticable
thanks

Screeper
05-14-2005, 11:22 PM
My step father wants to get the H3 for towing behind his 40 Ft RV. Are you saying that you cannnot put the transfer case in neutral for towing? That sounds a little strange from other GM products. Please advise as this will be very important.

Thanks

HummerNewbie
05-15-2005, 01:01 AM
I may call the dealer in Tampa and see what they say. I called your dealer in Jacksonville and they told me it was there for the day. It is a factory reps vehicle that was visiting the dealer for the day from Georgia. Decided that I could wait a few weeks until my dealer gets another rather than make the 4 hour round trip to get a quick look. Certainly do appreciate the info and your thoughts on it.

firm
05-15-2005, 01:06 PM
one world- The vibration is the same as driving a pickup truck over a speed bump. The front wheels are fine, but the back wheels are a little jittery. I figured this is because of the truck base.

Screeper- The dealer told me that, I don't know if it's true. He didn't seem to know alot. Sounded like somebody else told him that. The automatic did have a neutral, but he said the 4 wheel drive didn't have a neutral. I drove the adventure pkg.

DennisAJC
05-15-2005, 01:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Screeper:
My step father wants to get the H3 for towing behind his 40 Ft RV. Are you saying that you cannnot put the transfer case in neutral for towing? That sounds a little strange from other GM products. Please advise as this will be very important.

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only that, but an inexperienced towtruck will definitley damage the pooch if he doesn't dolly the wheels or flat bed the rig. I imagine some will use these rigs as daily travellers also(Like most of us H2ers).

Definitely look into it. Thanks firm.

killian
05-15-2005, 02:15 PM
I ran accross this a while back, The first person to post seemed to think that the H3 could be flat towed. I'm curious as to where he got his info.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14972760/gotomsg/14973742.cfm#14973742

PARAGON
05-15-2005, 02:55 PM
I am sure it can be towed. It is most likely set up like the H2. There are 4 transfer case settings: 4HI, 4HI-LOCKED, 4LOW-LOCKED, Neutral. The literature of the H3 has mentioned 4 settings. To go to a neutral transfer case for towing, from the 4HI mode you press the 4HI-LOCKED and 4LOW-LOCKED buttons simultaneously.

If you can find a closeup picture of the T-case controls of the H3 there should be some type of extra markings on those two buttons to indicate Neutral.

firm
05-15-2005, 03:23 PM
here's a pic

killian
05-15-2005, 03:32 PM
Damn, you guys rock! Talk about having it together.

In the pic, is that an N between 4 high and 4 high locked?

HummerNewbie
05-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Looks like it could be an indicator light. It is wider than the other two spacers.

firm
05-15-2005, 03:41 PM
"Neutral," obtained by simultaneously pressing the "4 LO Locked" and "4 HI Open" buttons and holding them down for 10 seconds. It permits flat-towing the H2 behind another vehicle.

PARAGON
05-15-2005, 05:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Four modes of 4WD operation are available on the 2006 Hummer H3. Most common is the 4-High Open setting for normal driving. 4-High Locked automatically transfers power to the front or rear wheels as needed, 4-Low Locked is reserved for serious off-road operation, and Neutral allows the Hummer H3 to be flat-towed. Combine 4-Low Locked with the driver-selectable locking rear differential and the available 4.03:1 low range gearing, and Hummer says the H3 is just as capable as any H1 or H2 model. But if you do manage to get in over your head, the Hummer H3 comes with standard front tow hooks and a rear recovery hook </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wannabeH3
05-15-2005, 06:28 PM
when you test drove it did you notice ample room for your left arm to comforable chill out on the window sill or left armrest? seriously

firm
05-15-2005, 10:07 PM
wannabeH3- I didn't really put my arm there. If you are use to placing your arm out the window with it rolled down, you may be a little uncomfortable in the vehicle.

DennisAJC
05-16-2005, 12:26 AM
O.K. Educate me here guys.

The H2 can be placed in nuetral but it's recommened for flat-bed towing or wheel dolly. Why would this not apply for the H3?

PARAGON
05-16-2005, 12:47 AM
Thread about H2 being a Toad

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/2606011751/m/2116034305

DennisAJC
05-16-2005, 02:17 AM
Thanks Paragon. I just browsed through my manual again. This time over the areas I skimmed. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Recreational towing allows it in full neutral. I've always wanted the tow option but never really understood until now.

It's still suggested when tow trucks are involved, flat-bed or dolly. I guess mabye it's because tow truck drivers aren't familiar with the rig.

H3 Builder
05-16-2005, 02:01 PM
It says in the H3 manual that you should only flat tow it and not to dolly tow the H3 as it will damage the drivetrain componets. To put the transfer case into neutral is like the H2.

DennisAJC
05-16-2005, 06:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3 Builder:
It says in the H3 manual that you should only flat tow it and not to dolly tow the H3 as it will damage the drivetrain componets. To put the transfer case into neutral is like the H2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mabye I have the term all wrong. Over here http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, Dolly Tow is when towing, your front end is suspended(Hooked), and your back end tires are on small trailer wheels so nothing contacts the road. I don't see how that could damage the drive components.

Screeper
05-16-2005, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the info. I am of Paragons thinking that it has to be set up like the H2. Real transfer cases have neutral. Thanks again.

PARAGON
05-16-2005, 11:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Screeper:
Thanks for the info. I am of Paragons thinking that it has to be set up like the H2. Real transfer cases have neutral. Thanks again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Here's your proof. Zoomed in and enhanced one of Ken's pics. Notice the lines above the buttons linking 4hi - the indicator light - and 4lo. Could not make out the wording under the buttons for you.

CLAYDOG
05-17-2005, 03:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
Thanks for the info. I am of Paragons thinking that it has to be set up like the H2. Real transfer cases have neutral. Thanks again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Here's your proof. Zoomed in and enhanced one of Ken's pics. Notice the lines above the buttons linking 4hi - the indicator light - and 4lo. Could not make out the wording under the buttons for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The wording under the buttons just says 4X4 Control.

usetosellhummer
05-17-2005, 03:38 PM
It will lock out thrasfer case for flat tow