PDA

View Full Version : Air flow Idea, Need suggestions!

TroysH2
01-16-2004, 04:30 PM
I am interested in the Airaid replacement filter. However, the stock box seems to restrict airflow to the surrounding sides(stock airfilter originally designed for straight thru). My idea was to cut several holes around the stock box to allow better airflow with this type of replacement filter. I am not concerned with off road water hazards. I figured this would cost less than $100.00. What are the pro/cons of such an idea. Thanks in advance...

TroysH2
01-16-2004, 04:30 PM
I am interested in the Airaid replacement filter. However, the stock box seems to restrict airflow to the surrounding sides(stock airfilter originally designed for straight thru). My idea was to cut several holes around the stock box to allow better airflow with this type of replacement filter. I am not concerned with off road water hazards. I figured this would cost less than $100.00. What are the pro/cons of such an idea. Thanks in advance...

Jigga
01-16-2004, 09:40 PM
Just go for the K&N Aircharger system

2003 Pewter H2 with Adventure Package, 20% tinted front windows, Husky floor liners, K&N aircharger filter kit, 3 screen DVD and Playstation 2 system, Warn 9000lb. winch, Soon to come: 37" MT/R's, XM, GOBI rack w/ lights.

TBarrow
01-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Just take the lid off the factory box. The factory filter stays secure without the lid. The factory filter flows real well and removing the lid allows for your airflow without damaging your factory box.

Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Xenarc HID, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, B&B Headers and exhaust, 2-7" screens in headrests with DVD player and TV Tuner.

\"Doc\"-sqrd
01-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Hi TroysH2,

I believe that making openings that communicate with the engine compartment would allow an admixture of potentially hotter air into the engine intake thereby decreasing the air density (which will decrease airflow- Bernoulli's Principle, I believe) and HP potential. That's why a "cold air" induction system usually outperforms a "stock" system.

"Doc"-sqrd

TBarrow
01-17-2004, 03:07 AM
The problem with the cold air intake theory is that all I have seen except for the volant system just uses a stainless heat shield open to the engine bay. I did increase my mileage a bit when I removed the lid because of less restriction resulting in more flow. I did this in the beginning since there was no after market systems out as I purchased mine first run in July of 02'. I now have the Air Force One Intake system.

Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Xenarc HID, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, B&B Headers and exhaust, 2-7" screens in headrests with DVD player and TV Tuner.

TroysH2
01-17-2004, 01:00 PM
How important is the tube that connect the filter to the intake manifold. And is this tube part of the kits or an additional purchase.
thanks

TBarrow
01-17-2004, 08:31 PM
The tube is important as this directs the air. The smoother the flow the more performance.

Todd