PDA

View Full Version : Factory Theft detterent system, how effective is it?

jebia
09-07-2004, 07:36 PM
How effective is the factory theft deterrent systems (ignition/fuel interlock). I'm not so much interested in theive breaking in and taking items, but has anyone had there H2 stolen?

Thanks in Advance.

Jon
Albuquerque, NM

jebia
How effective is the factory theft deterrent systems (ignition/fuel interlock). I'm not so much interested in theive breaking in and taking items, but has anyone had there H2 stolen?

Thanks in Advance.

Jon
Albuquerque, NM

jebia

Thanks in Advance.

Jon
Albuquerque, NM

TBarrow
09-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Breaking in is easy as I found out you pop the door handle lift up on the rod connected to the key and it turns the factory alarm OFF as it thinks a key was inserted. It will probably dis engage the ignition lock out as well.

intimidator
09-09-2004, 08:42 PM
the passkey system is excellent.it requires a key that is programmed to the vehicle to start it. there is a magnet and a window in the ignition cylinder that sends the signal to the bcm then to the pcm then to the starter. it is virtually unhackable. as far as the content theft ststem it is very effective if anyone breaks a window or slimjims the door it will shut the entire system down until it is turned off. in my opinion the factory system is very effective. no need for any aftermarket alarm that you won't be able to get parts for in 2 years. just my opinion and experience

Mike Mc
09-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Good information but I have a question. I recently had a new key made at Lowes for my H2, no special programming and it works just fine. Does the 2004 H2 have the passkey system?

HHummer
09-10-2004, 07:42 PM
No

Black 05
09-11-2004, 12:54 AM
Is in only on '03's????

HHummer
09-11-2004, 01:41 AM
The H2 has never had the PASS-key system. It has the PASSlock theft deterrent system which is a little different. Here is the GM description:
Anti-Theft Systems

PASS-key theft-deterrent system
To reduce the risk of car theft, many GM vehicles feature the patented PASS-key theft-deterrent system. Each ignition key has a black, coded resistor pellet embedded in the key. When you put the key in the ignition and turn it, the system reads the resistor. If the system doesn't get the correct code, the car won't start.

PASSlock theft-deterrent system
Similar to PASS-key is the PASSlock theft-deterrent system. With PASSlock, when you turn the ignition lock, a sensor in the lock sends a resistance code to the on-board computer. If the code isn't correct, the computer shuts off the fuel to the vehicle's engine. PASSlock doesn't require a coded resistor pellet in the key.

Both systems have been incredibly successful in limiting theft of GM vehicles. In fact in 1984, before this system was developed, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported that 13 of the top 20 stolen cars were GM models. By 1995, no GM vehicles were on the top 20 list.

The H2 does not require the special resistor key as previously mentioned on this thread. So, if an impression or copy of your key is made, it will work identically to the original. Breaking glass has no effect, but then opening the door will set the system off. I believe that the second post is correct. If the door handle surround is compromised and the key lock is operated internally it is the same as a key. Of course, the ignition would still be a problem without a key. And, in theory, if the alarm is initiated, Onstar will come online and ask for your pass code, assuming you have your basic package subscribed.

One very effective addition is a simple hidden switch installed into the ignition wiring. It can be located in some obscure location known to you. Anyone breaking in would normally not have the time to diagnose the electrical ignition system to find the open. It also has the advantage of being an unknown unlike a canned system.

HummerH2
09-29-2004, 07:51 PM
So a 12 yr old can get in

MJB_Hummer
10-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Could someone expand on how it is so easy to break into the vehicle? I did not get some of the earlier posts about popping the handle, etc.
I just had my 03 H2 broken into. They got my wife's purse and it was like they had the key or keyless entry remote. The H2 was locked like I left it but the stuff inside was gone. I had seen something on the news about some late model GM codes and frequencies being compromised also. I can't believe they got in and out so easy.

HummerH2
10-01-2004, 09:45 PM
If you really want security you should look at this (http://directed.com/security/viper/viper_responder.asp) i have one on my Z and it is great also if you want added security get the gps tracking by viper also (it should be to the left on that site) i also have that on my Z

Hummertech
10-02-2004, 07:06 PM
The remote system on that car has "rolling code technology". Which basically means that it changes the frequency each time so someone cannot record your signal, and then play it back later to unlock your car. I have never heard of this system being compromised. However, maybe it is possible someone has found a way to beat it. I haven't heard of it though. But it isn't the hardest to break in by manipulating lock rods.

HummerH2
10-02-2004, 09:46 PM
Im sure blingtard knows how to steal an H2. How did he get his?

ChuckE
10-03-2004, 12:17 AM
By "blingtard" you mean BlingBlingH2, I believe he has an H1, what with all his comments of the H2 being a glorified Tahoe or something like that.