PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! Should I buy and H2???

Bigfoot
11-19-2002, 05:40 AM
Hello,

It is late so please forgive my for my grammar and spelling.

I need help! I am on the fence about buying an H2. I have been wheeling for around 12 years now. I started out in a jeep (5 years) then moved up to a Defender 90 (7 years). I have also spent a lot of time sandrailing.

I love my Def 90 it is my baby. But my life has changed with a family and all so driving around in the Def 90 with a one year is not an option. I also have a F-150 SuperCrew which I love but the H2 is calling me.

I am very concerned about its off road performance. I know it is not a Def 90 or H1 but is it adequate off Road. I want to ask someone who actually has taken it off road and is not just a salesmen trying to make a buck. (side note the salesman told me that it was 4 wheel Dif lock all the way around and that Hummer would warranty and thing done off-road. I would love to have that in writing).

Anyway. I like the look...I like the price...I like that I can sleep in the back on my fishing trips to remote lakes and rivers. But can it get me there?

Did any off you go on the Holster California H1 and H2 trip? I heard that 4 brand new H2 came home and went straight to the dealer for repairs. Something about deep mud and not having a sealed electrical system like the H1.

I am not super loaded and I can't keep both cars and get the H2 so I have to sell my Def 90 to get the H2. Am I making a mistake??? Please help and be nice....I know I drive a land rover.

Thanks again,

Bob

Bigfoot
11-19-2002, 05:40 AM
Hello,

It is late so please forgive my for my grammar and spelling.

I need help! I am on the fence about buying an H2. I have been wheeling for around 12 years now. I started out in a jeep (5 years) then moved up to a Defender 90 (7 years). I have also spent a lot of time sandrailing.

I love my Def 90 it is my baby. But my life has changed with a family and all so driving around in the Def 90 with a one year is not an option. I also have a F-150 SuperCrew which I love but the H2 is calling me.

I am very concerned about its off road performance. I know it is not a Def 90 or H1 but is it adequate off Road. I want to ask someone who actually has taken it off road and is not just a salesmen trying to make a buck. (side note the salesman told me that it was 4 wheel Dif lock all the way around and that Hummer would warranty and thing done off-road. I would love to have that in writing).

Anyway. I like the look...I like the price...I like that I can sleep in the back on my fishing trips to remote lakes and rivers. But can it get me there?

Did any off you go on the Holster California H1 and H2 trip? I heard that 4 brand new H2 came home and went straight to the dealer for repairs. Something about deep mud and not having a sealed electrical system like the H1.

I am not super loaded and I can't keep both cars and get the H2 so I have to sell my Def 90 to get the H2. Am I making a mistake??? Please help and be nice....I know I drive a land rover.

Thanks again,

Bob

Arizona Hummerboy
11-19-2002, 12:18 PM
The H2 is a awesome vehicle, I went from a 1997 Ford F150 supper cab 4x4 right into the H2. now I find it hard as hell to drive my F 150 around town. To me there is just no room in the F150 after driving the H2 for 3 mounths.
The H2 being it's frist year has a little bugs yet to get work out of it, but it is still a awesome vehicle.
I bought my H2 for my business,it was a great tax write off for me /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif my wife and I take a lot of road trips, and we love it for that.It has all the room we need,it also makes a great office for me when I away from home.
I got my H2 at the end of August and it is just about to turn 7,000 miles. I just love to drive the awesome vehicle. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

HummerGirl
11-19-2002, 01:08 PM
You need to talk to SJ about this one and I am sure he will be reading this very soon! He seems to be a super-duper Wheeler.

He did get stuck in some mud this past weekend but that was bc he did not have mudders on his H2. Read his post about getting it stuck.

From what I have heard and read, the H2 is awesome off road and has surprised many H1 owners. Keep in mind those who have gone off road to follow the H1 in deep mud or water are in for trouble as they are not designed the same. Maybe that H2 owner thought he could do what the H1 could do??? Sometimes it's the driver, not the vehicle.

~amy
Reality is merely a crutch for those with a broken imagination.~anon.

http://www.CelestialBath.com

Bigfoot
11-19-2002, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the response from both of you! I will try and talk with SJ.

I have a Ford F-150 and know the feeling. It is a great truck but it does not maneuver like my wife's Tahoe Z71.

Thanks for the info. I like the idea of the tax write off! Maybe I will just but my name of my company on the side of the H2.

Bob
bob@brattesani.cncdsl.com
www.brattesani.cncdsl.com (http://www.brattesani.cncdsl.com)

MAC
11-19-2002, 03:38 PM
Bigfoot, the answers you seek are all over the places on this forum. Spend some time and do your own homeworks and read thru the posts and dozens of magazine articles about H2 off-roads online. I think you know the answers already, you are just too attached to the Defender. Good luck.

SJ
11-19-2002, 04:09 PM
Bigfoot:

I'm in the exact same boat as you in that I have a young family and need a vehicle that is large enough to haul us and our stuff. At the same time, I've been passionate about wheeling since I was old enough to get behind the wheel, so I had no desire to foresake off-road capability. Further, having owned Jeeps, a Chevy K5 Blazer, a Dodge Ram 1500, and a GMC Yukon; the H2 followed a long line of modified trail vehicles.

The Defender 90 is a very capable vehicle and it has two noteworthy advantages over the H2: weight (or lack thereof) and size. If you're a fan of rock crawling, then you will be able to go some places that the H2 simply won't fit.

Now for the H2's advantages:

- Cargo Capacity is Good [I mounted the 35" spare on the roof]
- Approach and Departure Angles are 2nd only to the H1 or a highly modified rig
- Lowest Point/Ground Clearance = 10" at bottom of differential (D90 is probably in this ballpark)
- Crawl Ratio 33.1 (similar to D90?)
- Seating Capacity vs. D90
- 35" Tires Standard
- Locking Rear Axle (D90 has F & R Lockers?)

Last weekend I was finally able to get my H2 stuck in a mud pit, but I chalk it up to user error (i.e. I underestimated the terrain and Mud Tires would have helped with early momentum).

As much as I like the D90s and Rovers in general, the H2 fits the bill for a growing family that requires more capacity without giving away trail capabilities.

I think the H2 can get you to your remote fishing spots (again, tight quarters being the only hinderance). As for the electrical system, the H2 is forde rated to 20" vs. the H1's 30." True, the H1's electrical components are further sealed from the wet stuff - military spec.

Test Drive the H2 and see what you think. Overall, I think you'll gain more capability with this vehicle than you expect.

[This message was edited by SJ on November 19, 2002 at 10:20 AM.]

Mike
11-19-2002, 05:36 PM
Bob,

I do quite a bit of Off-Roading myself. I've owned Jeeps in the past and I must admit, the only thing that I find that requires effort with the H2 is that your vision is impaired compared to the Jeep or in your case, Defender 90, as well as the weight of the vehicle(takes a little getting used too). Power wise, there is no comparison, the H2 will crawl up anything. I have heard of the tranny problems people have been experiencing and it is a little discouraging but I have yet to experience any problems(knock on wood). I've used the 4 wheel drive system extensively and am now very comfortable with it.

I did go to Hollister and went through the obstacle course without a hitch(maybe a winch). I will have to say this though, you should really know how to use the 4 wheel drive system prior to engaging it. For example, you should never have to use your E-Locker unless absolutely necessary. Keeping it locked can burn up the differential and cause it to over heat. Same goes with 4 Low Locked, you should only be using this for trails that require the extra low gear ratio and where wheel articulation comes into play, other wise you can stay in 4 Hi lock or 4 Hi. I know some people tend to keep it locked longer than usual and may not be familiar with "off-roading" in general and may overlook the off-road settings and leave them on longer than need be. There was another H2 driver there and after speaking with him I found out that he had 4LOW locked and the E-Locker engaged when he was out on the regular trails. I don't think he realized what the potential for damage was until I clued him in a little. I think it's all about knowing your vehicle and getting familiar with it first.

The H2 is by far one of the most capable SUV's out in the market. BUY IT!!!! I go off-roading every chance I get in it!!

Bill Kervaski
11-19-2002, 06:21 PM
Just buy it! You know you want one! Everybody is doing it!

- Bill