PDA

View Full Version : Does a lot of water usually come out of the exhaust?

noc
12-11-2003, 06:48 AM
I just noticed today that loads of water (about a cup) would come out of the exhaust tip and under the muffler. Seems like there's a hole in the muffler also. Has anybody else expierence this?

noc
12-11-2003, 06:48 AM
I just noticed today that loads of water (about a cup) would come out of the exhaust tip and under the muffler. Seems like there's a hole in the muffler also. Has anybody else expierence this?

Patriot
12-11-2003, 11:45 AM
Normal...

It's just condensation. There is normally a "weep" hole in the muffler to allow the condensation trapped there to get out and minimize the rust.

A byproduct of combustion is water. With a hot exhaust you barely notice it. On a cold start you will see a lot of water vapor until the exhaust heats up. When you stop your engine, the remaining water vapor condenses inside your exhaust.

KenP
12-11-2003, 12:45 PM
NOC:
Patriot is right on the mark. If it is a concern of yours get a stainless steel exhaust. That water is what causes the system to rust out.

Black Lingenfelter Lux

PARAGON
12-11-2003, 01:23 PM
You probably haven't noticed it before because your humidity is generally low where you live. Come to the deep south and this is very common.

Like Patriot said, all internal combustion engines generate water vapor in a humid environment. At startup, the exhaust system is cold and this vapor is instantly returned to the water state until the exhaust system heats to the point to where it will keep it in the gaseous state. But you have to have the water in your atmosphere to begin with and since you are just now noticing it, it's either raining out there or it's about to.

noc
12-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Thank you guys. Great explaination. I feel much better now.