PDA

View Full Version : Who makes chrome billet items that last?

C5A4
11-24-2004, 02:03 AM
I had bought all of my billet latches, handles etc from a company in the Ultimate Hummer magazine about two months ago. The first install they all lasted about 1 month and little what looked like rust bubles behind the chrome started to show on all the pieces. I shipped everything back and was sent new stuff again. Well they lasted 3 weeks and I'm back with the same thing again. The company says they have no idea why its happening and will give a full refund plus shipping when I send them back again. I live in the Orlando Florida area not near the salt air. Anybody have a good place to buy something that will last without a problem?

C5A4
I had bought all of my billet latches, handles etc from a company in the Ultimate Hummer magazine about two months ago. The first install they all lasted about 1 month and little what looked like rust bubles behind the chrome started to show on all the pieces. I shipped everything back and was sent new stuff again. Well they lasted 3 weeks and I'm back with the same thing again. The company says they have no idea why its happening and will give a full refund plus shipping when I send them back again. I live in the Orlando Florida area not near the salt air. Anybody have a good place to buy something that will last without a problem?

C5A4

Circuitguy
11-24-2004, 03:39 AM
Chrome will not corrode or rust with out a catalyst like salt and moisture to make it happen. I have found that Florida and Hawaii are two of the worst places when it comes to this. I have seen the best chrome and billet accessories destroyed after only one month of use. You say there is no salt in the air but it is there then add the humidity found in Florida and you found the problem. The best thing may be to go with stainless or plastic accessories so not to have this problem again. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

vip808
11-28-2004, 06:33 AM
What's the best way to protect chrome?

RFox
12-02-2004, 07:54 PM
I had a similar issue with some billet items i got from a company called Saide. I found out later that many of the companies that produce Billet ONLY polish the parts and do NOT chrome them. In this case they will only look good for a month in good weather. Companies like RealWheels Accessories and Defender works chrome their billet items, and I never had any additional problems.

C5A4
12-02-2004, 10:01 PM
That is the same company that I got my stuff from.