PDA

View Full Version : Roof marker lights

tunaboy
04-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Does anyone know if roof marker lights can be dealer installed? If they can does anyone know about wind noise or problems with them?

aggiehummer...er
04-03-2006, 08:06 PM
All roof marker lamps are installed by the dealer, whether it's on the MSRP sticker or added afterwards. There were problems with wind noise, but GM released a fix for them that corrected the problem.

HummerNewbie
04-03-2006, 08:12 PM
The fix for the wind noise came out last fall. I had mine installed the second week of Feb. and am still having wind noise problems. I don't regret getting them for a minute though, they will get it right.

humdoug
04-03-2006, 08:13 PM
I had mine installed at the dealer, $625.00. They made the installation with the GM corrections and I do not have any wind/noise problems.

JohPol
04-04-2006, 10:20 AM
I just got my H3 two weeks ago and at 55-60 the noise is there. Also lost one of the caps that cover the screws this morning. Do like them though.
Does anyone know what the fix is.

HummerNewbie
04-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Mine start between 70 and 80 depending on how windy it is out. The other day they were doing it at about 65. Your dealer may not have used the new install procedure. If am going to give my dealer another chance to fix them and if it is not right I have going to push to have them replaced.

H3less
04-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Can anyone tell me if it's as loud as a jeep at 55+mph? Thinking of ordering them on my H3 and like the look but have no gauge on what "wind noise" is compared to my wind pusher!

JohPol
04-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by H3wanabie:
Can anyone tell me if it's as loud as a jeep at 55+mph? Thinking of ordering them on my H3 and like the look but have no gauge on what "wind noise" is compared to my wind pusher!
It sounds sort of like a playing card in a bike spoke.

H3less
04-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Kinda like repetitive resonance? Like in some newer cars when one window is open a little and it sounds like a helecoppter is flying overhead? Or by your discription a sharper slapping noise? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

h2co-pilot
04-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Kinda like repetitive resonance? Like in some newer cars when one window is open a little and it sounds like a helecoppter is flying overhead? Or by your discription a sharper slapping noise? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Uhm, we already have an H3wannabe.

HummerNewbie
04-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by h2co-pilot:

LOL http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

HummerNewbie
04-04-2006, 01:29 PM

It is more like a sharper slapping or tapping noise and is very rapid. It is air getting under the marker lights and they are vibrating up and down hitting the roof just above the windshield. This is not something that is supposed to be happening so don't base your decision on it. I had originally put some door edge trim along the front edge of the light assembly before driving to NC as I recalled someone fixing it that way late last summer. Didn't work for me and they left it on there when they tried fixing it last time. I took it off Saturday and the noise is actually quieter now. It is still there and needs to be fixed but now you can actually carry on a conversation when it is doing it but you couldn't before.

H3less
04-04-2006, 02:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3wanabie:

Uhm, we already have an H3wannabe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, sorry about the name, I used it on another forum and didn't realize there was another until after I joined, but I am sure there are plenty of wanabies out there http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I'll try and be creatinve and change mine after I get the H3 under my butt!
Thanks for the info I think I will order mine with the lights, like the look.
T&B affiliate http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

H3less
04-04-2006, 02:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3wanabie:

Uhm, we already have an H3wannabe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, so I couldn't take it any longer, hope there isn't any "H3less" out there. AKA H3wannabie, the other one! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

HummerNewbie
04-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by H3less:
Ok, so I couldn't take it any longer, hope there isn't any "H3less" out there. AKA H3wannabie, the other one! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

LOL http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

That will work. Don't think there is another one.

The Green Lantern
04-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by H3less:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by h2co-pilot:

Ok, so I couldn't take it any longer, hope there isn't any "H3less" out there. AKA H3wannabie, the other one! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif yeah, and there's " The Pink Lantern" too...

h2co-pilot
04-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Thank you H3less. It would have confused me.http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

H3less
04-04-2006, 04:58 PM
You are welcome I always confused http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif and it still fits the bill for me H3less, I will have to change it once I take delivery! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Digital-Audiophile
04-04-2006, 07:05 PM
What is pricing like on the marker lights? I really wish now that I would have had them installed when I got my H3 to blend the price in with th financing.. but they just look so darn good I really want one.

HummerNewbie
04-04-2006, 08:00 PM
I think you can get them installed for around $650. I had mine worked into the deal and don't recall what the final price was.

Aphextwinop
04-06-2006, 11:15 PM
I also am thinking about getting some roof lights as well. There are 2 types yes? The amber and then the one with 2 lights.

I like the look of the 2 lights better. What are most people running on here.

Aphex

HummerNewbie
04-07-2006, 10:30 AM
I think most are going with the marker lights (amber lights) versus the off road lights (2 lights) but could be wrong. I personally like the look of the marker lights better and didn't see myself using the off road lights that much.

Mike E
04-07-2006, 11:44 AM
The marker lights are the most popular. I'll be getting mine soon! I would reccomend getting them dealer installed due to the fact that some are still having that wind issue getting under them. The dealer won't warranty that if you install them yourself.

HummerNewbie
04-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Mike E:
I would reccomend getting them dealer installed due to the fact that some are still having that wind issue getting under them. The dealer won't warranty that if you install them yourself.

X2 and not just for the wind noise. You have to drill into the vehicle and if you mess it up it will be expensive. You would also be covered for any leaks that might start after the install.

humdoug
04-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Had mine installed by the dealer - $650.00. I talked to the installer and wanted to know if he was installing with the "new fix". He told me he was but he also shaved some of the bolt neck off to make the fit tigher. They have been on for over two months and no problems with wind, noise or leaks.

cmeinck
04-25-2006, 11:30 AM
I just had them installed - cost $900 installed. After the install, the dealer alerted me of an upcoming issue. Apparently, they are started to see minor hairline cracks on each side where they attach. He said I was on a list and to expect a recall. I have no wind issues and this isn't a big deal to me. When they have the fix, I'll drop it off for a few hours. Let me say, this is the single best modification I've done on my H3. In NY, I'm starting to see more and more H3's -- none of which have the roof marker lamps. So, if you live outside of NY, I say go for it. Add the roof marker lamps, you'll be happy you did. Live in NY? Don't do it. Wind issues, hairline cracks. Enjoy your stock H3. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

fourfourto
04-25-2006, 11:58 AM
I just had them installed - cost $900 installed. After the install, the dealer alerted me of an upcoming issue. Apparently, they are started to see minor hairline cracks on each side where they attach. He said I was on a list and to expect a recall. I have no wind issues and this isn't a big deal to me. When they have the fix, I'll drop it off for a few hours. Let me say, this is the single best modification I've done on my H3. In NY, I'm starting to see more and more H3's -- none of which have the roof marker lamps. So, if you live outside of NY, I say go for it. Add the roof marker lamps, you'll be happy you did. Live in NY? Don't do it. Wind issues, hairline cracks. Enjoy your stock H3

What dealer did you go to in ny?

I think everywere in the us there getting those cracks I have small ones on both sides now http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Anyone know when the replacements will be out ?
Last I heard it was april/may ?

cmeinck
04-25-2006, 12:05 PM
SUN Hummer in Wantagh.

He didn't give me a time - just said to expect a letter from HUMMER.

Mike E
04-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by fourfourto:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just had them installed - cost $900 installed. After the install, the dealer alerted me of an upcoming issue. Apparently, they are started to see minor hairline cracks on each side where they attach. He said I was on a list and to expect a recall. I have no wind issues and this isn't a big deal to me. When they have the fix, I'll drop it off for a few hours. Let me say, this is the single best modification I've done on my H3. In NY, I'm starting to see more and more H3's -- none of which have the roof marker lamps. So, if you live outside of NY, I say go for it. Add the roof marker lamps, you'll be happy you did. Live in NY? Don't do it. Wind issues, hairline cracks. Enjoy your stock H3

What dealer did you go to in ny?

I think everywere in the us there getting those cracks I have small ones on both sides now http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Anyone know when the replacements will be out ?
Last I heard it was april/may ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More like end of May I think. Mine were cracked, the dealer replaced both sides with new ones and they are warped! So they tried to flatten them out with double sided tape and that didn't help. They said once the fix is out they will update me. While they were working on mine I noticed at least 20 H3's on thier lot had the warp on them in the same spot as mine. So it must be an issue.

Kracker
04-26-2006, 03:51 AM
My wind noise was horrible. I fixed it with door trim. That didn't last very long. So, my latest fix was to add washers to the bolts and tighten them down really good. Mine were not that tight to begin with. It has been about a month and no wind noise since.

Steve - SanJose
04-26-2006, 04:01 AM
I like the marker lights, but the price for some fancy/bling/pimpin lighting seems a bit steep. And the stories about wind noise keep coming. Maybe totally redesigned market lights will be the solution later.

S.

HummerNewbie
04-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Kracker:
My wind noise was horrible. I fixed it with door trim. That didn't last very long. So, my latest fix was to add washers to the bolts and tighten them down really good. Mine were not that tight to begin with. It has been about a month and no wind noise since.

I had tried the door trim fix on mine and it didn't help. Last time it was in for them to fix it they left the trim on there. When the noise came back I took the trim off and the noise was a lot quieter. I am now getting wind noise sometimes going as slow as 50. Have an appointment for a week from today for them to try again.

On a side note, I must be lucky because I have no cracks or warping on my roof rails http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

hmrlvr
04-28-2006, 03:22 AM
more likely to get a deal if you are smart when you work the price. IMO

lobo
05-23-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm still having wind noise/vibration as well. I've taken my H3 and had the "new" GM fix about 6 months ago and then again for a second time right after. I now have 2 of the "new" GM seals stuck between my roof marker lights and the truck. For a while that seemed to work - however the wind noise has returned again. Looking for a true fix! Anyone hearing anything?

The fix for the wind noise came out last fall. I had mine installed the second week of Feb. and am still having wind noise problems. I don't regret getting them for a minute though, they will get it right.

HummerNewbie
05-23-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm still having wind noise/vibration as well. I've taken my H3 and had the "new" GM fix about 6 months ago and then again for a second time right after. I now have 2 of the "new" GM seals stuck between my roof marker lights and the truck. For a while that seemed to work - however the wind noise has returned again. Looking for a true fix! Anyone hearing anything?

I took mine back in to get it fixed right at three weeks ago and so far everything is great. Sure, you get a little extra wind noise from them and I do mean a little, hardly even noticable. I do not have an issue with them vibrating anymore though. When I took it in this time they replace the DS A-pillar plastic and that seems to have taken care of it. Every time I took it in before the fix only lasted for a week or two but I think after 3 weeks they finally seem to have it right.

Scouts Out
05-23-2006, 08:25 PM
I have the roof mounted lamps (ie fog lights). I like them allot, worked well in the blizzard we had back in Jan. But, lots of wind noise at 75-80 mph. I thought the windshield was loose. Talked to the dealer, not allot to do about it. I still like them but not probaby worth the $695 it cost

HummerNewbie
05-23-2006, 08:30 PM
I have the roof mounted lamps (ie fog lights). I like them allot, worked well in the blizzard we had back in Jan. But, lots of wind noise at 75-80 mph. I thought the windshield was loose. Talked to the dealer, not allot to do about it. I still like them but not probaby worth the $695 it cost

Sounds like you have the same problem and the dealer telling you there is not a lot to do about it is BS. If it is the same problem then they need to fix it. Wind noise is one thing but the vibrating is something completely different and they need to fix it. Does it get so loud that you couldn't even talk on the phone when it is happening? That is how mine would get but all quiet now.

Steve - SanJose
05-24-2006, 02:28 AM
Let us know when the "redesigned" and quiet marker lights come out please.

S.

HummerNewbie
05-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Let us know when the "redesigned" and quiet marker lights come out please.

S.

They came out last fall.

Scouts Out
05-24-2006, 02:12 PM
I would be more happy to find out about the new roof rails.... End of May is fast approaching. The roof lights are more of a vibration than a whistle. I found taking the light covers off stops 50% of the noise. Unless I am driving a long distance, not really an issue. I realize the H3 was never designed for 4 hour runs at 80 MPH.

lobo
05-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Is the 'DS A-pillar plastic ' different than the piece of foam they put between the roof marker lights and the top of the truck?

I've had my truck in for the 'newest' GM fix which was this new 'gasket' that was suppose to work. My service dept. even put 2 'gaskets' in the space. At the time - no vibration!:) But it's been a few months and the vibration has slowly returned. It's been so loud sometimes that even the radio can't disguise the noise.

I recently emialed my service dept. and here's what they suggested:

The only thing that I could possibly do at this time would be to apply a urethane adhesive between the light bar and roof of the vehicle. This has been taking care of the issue for some other customers. As far as the side moldings on the windshield, they have not distributed the the new parts yet.

I am so not interested in 'glue' as the fix to this problem! :mad: Can't GM fix this?! Seems we all have enough experience they should be asking our advice.

I took mine back in to get it fixed right at three weeks ago and so far everything is great. Sure, you get a little extra wind noise from them and I do mean a little, hardly even noticable. I do not have an issue with them vibrating anymore though. When I took it in this time they replace the DS A-pillar plastic and that seems to have taken care of it. Every time I took it in before the fix only lasted for a week or two but I think after 3 weeks they finally seem to have it right.

HummerNewbie
05-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Is the 'DS A-pillar plastic ' different than the piece of foam they put between the roof marker lights and the top of the truck?

I've had my truck in for the 'newest' GM fix which was this new 'gasket' that was suppose to work. My service dept. even put 2 'gaskets' in the space. At the time - no vibration!:) But it's been a few months and the vibration has slowly returned. It's been so loud sometimes that even the radio can't disguise the noise.

I recently emialed my service dept. and here's what they suggested:

The only thing that I could possibly do at this time would be to apply a urethane adhesive between the light bar and roof of the vehicle. This has been taking care of the issue for some other customers. As far as the side moldings on the windshield, they have not distributed the the new parts yet.

I am so not interested in 'glue' as the fix to this problem! :mad: Can't GM fix this?! Seems we all have enough experience they should be asking our advice.

The DS A-pillar plastic is the black plastic trim that goes up the side of the windshield on the drivers side. I don't know if I was just lucky in the fact that it fixed the issue on mine but maybe when the new ones get to the dealership it will fix yours. I have also had mine get so loud that you could not understand what was on the stereo. For a week or so before I took it in this last time the vibrating noise would start at as low a speed as 50 MPH. So far after close to a month I am still having no issues. One thing you might try as a test to see if it is the marker lights or if it is the a-pillar is put some electrical tape along the leading edge of the marker lights. This should stop air from getting under them and causing a vibration. I believe someone did this and it worked for them. Let us know what happens if you do try it.

lobo
05-25-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm 99% sure it's the roof marker lights causing the vibration. I can stick my hand out my sun roof and push down on the roof marker lights and the vibration stops. I would be so lucky to have the 'new' plastic trim on the sides of the windshield fix my problem. Now I just have to wait and see if GM releases these sometime soon?!!!?

I have heard about the electrical tape fix...also someone else used some sort of plastic moulding...I just think there should be something better. Not one of us bought our H3 thinking we would be 'duct taping' together :(

The DS A-pillar plastic is the black plastic trim that goes up the side of the windshield on the drivers side. I don't know if I was just lucky in the fact that it fixed the issue on mine but maybe when the new ones get to the dealership it will fix yours. I have also had mine get so loud that you could not understand what was on the stereo. For a week or so before I took it in this last time the vibrating noise would start at as low a speed as 50 MPH. So far after close to a month I am still having no issues. One thing you might try as a test to see if it is the marker lights or if it is the a-pillar is put some electrical tape along the leading edge of the marker lights. This should stop air from getting under them and causing a vibration. I believe someone did this and it worked for them. Let us know what happens if you do try it.

HummerNewbie
05-25-2006, 07:57 PM
I'm 99% sure it's the roof marker lights causing the vibration. I can stick my hand out my sun roof and push down on the roof marker lights and the vibration stops.

Never tried that. I would have never thought that it was anything but the marker lights on mine. Who knows, maybe they just got it right this time.

I have heard about the electrical tape fix...also someone else used some sort of plastic moulding...I just think there should be something better. Not one of us bought our H3 thinking we would be 'duct taping' together :(

I did try the door trim fix and it seemed to help a first. The time before when I had it in to be fixed they left the trim on there. When it started coming back I took the trim off and the vibrating noise was a lot quieter. I agree, they need to figure out how to fix this right and not do things like glue it down :mad: