PDA

View Full Version : Replacing DRLs with PIAA 540 Fog Lamps

Mango
01-26-2003, 04:15 PM
Has anyone replaced their DRLs with real fog lamps? With all the progress that's been made getting the DRLs on at night, I've started wanting for a brighter wider spread from them. Thus, begins my new quest--replacing the DRLs with REAL fog lamps.

The DRL opening in the plastic bumper is about 5 1/2 inches and the factor DRLs appear to mount with two threaded posts on the back. The only 5 inch round fog lamps I have found is the PIAA 540. Mounting these will be the challenge, but it looks like it might be possible to mount these to the steel bumper under the plastic opening or perhaps a bracket could be fabricated to use the factory configuration. Still it doesn't look like an easy project.

http://www.piaa.com/displayLamp.php3?inc=540.html

SMA, in their custom H2 (see photo) obviously made a similar modification. Looks like those may actually be PIAA 540s on their rig. Anybody done anything like this or have any ideas? Anybody know what SMA did with their rig???

Mango -- Saltwater Flyfisherman, Photographer, Varmint Hunter -- Fort Worth, Tx

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Mango
01-26-2003, 04:15 PM
Has anyone replaced their DRLs with real fog lamps? With all the progress that's been made getting the DRLs on at night, I've started wanting for a brighter wider spread from them. Thus, begins my new quest--replacing the DRLs with REAL fog lamps.

The DRL opening in the plastic bumper is about 5 1/2 inches and the factor DRLs appear to mount with two threaded posts on the back. The only 5 inch round fog lamps I have found is the PIAA 540. Mounting these will be the challenge, but it looks like it might be possible to mount these to the steel bumper under the plastic opening or perhaps a bracket could be fabricated to use the factory configuration. Still it doesn't look like an easy project.

http://www.piaa.com/displayLamp.php3?inc=540.html

SMA, in their custom H2 (see photo) obviously made a similar modification. Looks like those may actually be PIAA 540s on their rig. Anybody done anything like this or have any ideas? Anybody know what SMA did with their rig???

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

buddy
01-26-2003, 04:53 PM
Mango,

Yes, I think you could mount the 540's. I looked at some on display at one of the truck shops and they looked real good. I think they measure at 5 1/8", so they should fit.

Do you know if the opening is 5 1/2", or tapered smaller towards the rear. I pulled one out a couple of weeks back, but re-installed it before I measured.

I was thinking of doing the same install as you, with the 540's. I think you can mount them thru the plastic to bumper. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Steve R
01-27-2003, 04:20 AM
Mango: more light is GOOD, please update on your results!!!

SJ
01-27-2003, 03:55 PM
Great topic; let us know if the install works for the PIAAs. I have Hella fogs and I'd consider moving them from the bumper to the DRL location if it works.

triman
01-27-2003, 04:54 PM
Mango,

I have PIAA's mounted in the DRL location. They work great! The shop I had do the install manufactured a bracket for the location. We hard wired them in so I have an on/off switch. I also replaced the standard headlights with stage II HID's. I use the PIAA's as my main headlights when in traffic since the HID's light up the world.

Happy Hummer
01-27-2003, 07:45 PM
Triman,

Do you have the 540's? If so is there enough room to keep the light guards on?

I just ordered a set today and wondered if this could be done. I hope it could since it seems like a great place to mount a GOOD set of lights.

Thanks,
ROB

2003 Hummer H2, Black Lux. Pkg, Breathless HID lights and Stage 2B engine kit, Mazzi Maximus 18" chrome wheels and BFG 35X12.50 18 KM Mud Terrain Tires, Alpine DVD Navigation System, Myron & Davis 7" headrest monitors, Audiovox 10 disc DVD Changer, XM Delphi Satellite radio, NSXTC DRL upgrade
2002 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
2003 Dodge Viper SRT/10 #150
2003 Honda Odyssey EX
2003 Harley V-Rod 2 Tone Anniversary Edition
http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/robydi2001

Mango
01-27-2003, 11:00 PM
Sounds like I have created a monster. Just for the record, I ordered a pair of 540 fogs today and should have them by friday. I'm planning to either attach them to the steel bumper below the DRL opening (which would mean cutting a hole in the bottom of the plastic DRL opening) or to have a bracket fabricated to use the factory mounting holes--depends on how much the mounting pedestal on the bottom of the light protrudes below the reflector assembly.

Triman, can you give us more info on the bracket you used? Did you use the factory mounting holes on the back of the DRL opening? Did the installer have to cut any of the plastic in the factory opening? Are you able to adjust the aiming on the lights?

I think I will leave the lights wired as is, so they will function as DRLs during the day and fogs at night. Probably will use the PIAA supplies wiring and use the factory connection to trigger the PIAA relay.

Sure hope they fit with light guards on. Very cool look!!!

[This message was edited by Mango on January 27, 2003 at 05:08 PM.]

Mango
01-28-2003, 02:42 AM
This is from the PIAA site:

What is the difference between a fog light & a driving light?
Fog lights provide illumination forward of the vehicle that enhances visibility in fog, rain, snow, or dust. Fog lights are intended to be used in conjunction with standard headlamp low beams. Driving lights are mounted to provide illumination forward of the vehicle and intended to supplement the high beam of a standard headlamp system. It is not intended for use alone or with the low beam of a standard headlamp system.

I'm interested in the 540s for two reasons. First, the look with the lamp guards is very cool, IMO. Second, I'm trying to make the DRLs more useful at night, as a supplement to the factory low beams. Rarely do I use the high beams in city driving. The driving light version is likely to duplicate the factory low beam coverage; whereas, the fogs will fill in the gap closer to the vehicle and laterally. I hope. If I want extra illumination offroad, I can turn on my grill mounted offroad lights.

Also considering the Sylvania sealed beam HIDs which would give me simultaneous high and low beam capability on high beam setting. This, along with 540 DRLs and offroad lights would give me 4 light sources if needed each covering a different segment in front of me. (the offroad lights are effectively high beam floods) I've already ordered the fog lamp version so we'll see what happens.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."What is the difference between a fog light & a driving light?

sal15
01-28-2003, 02:49 AM
Hi Group,
I took a pair of PIAA520's and mounted them right next to the DRL's.
If you would like to see .jpg pics please reply to
wsal@internetcds.com
Sal15

sal15
01-29-2003, 05:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sal15:
Hi Group,
I took a pair of PIAA520's and mounted them right next to the DRL's.
If you would like to see .jpg pics please reply to
wsal@internetcds.com
Sal15<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sal15
01-29-2003, 05:23 AM
Here is my installation of 85 Watt PIAA520 Fog lights.
http://home.cdsnet.net/~wsal/PIAA520.jpg

http://home.cdsnet.net/~wsal/PIAAside.jpg

JCJ
01-29-2003, 12:53 PM
Nice setup, Sal15!
Questions:
1. So, it is possible to remove the PIAA lettering from the grid?
2. The dimensions of the 520 being 6-1/4" x 5-15/16" it clearly will not fit the DRL location., right?
3. Do you think the 540 will fit (5-1/8" in diameter)? http://www.piaa.com/displayLamp.php3?inc=540.html
4. And what about the 510 (3-15/16" in diameter)? http://www.piaa.com/displayLamp.php3?inc=510.html#
5. Where did you install the switch?
Thanks.

Big Z
01-29-2003, 01:10 PM
Sal15--interesting set-up! How did you mount your license plate in that location? New mount or just pop a couple of new holes? And did you find a locking receiver pin for the winch?

sal15
01-30-2003, 01:29 AM
To mount the 520's as I did, you need to attach the 520's to something more rigid than that piece of plastic which it appears to be mounted to.
Place a piece of aluminum plate about a quarter inch thick behind the plastic . 6 x 6 inch size will do. Transfer the original holes of the plastic thru the aluminum. Mount the 520 thru this pastic/aluminum wall. You now have to orient the lamp glass so the light will be spread correctly, not 90 degrees off. Pop the lens off, rotate the lens as required and drill two new holes in the lamp housing. Silicone the old holes to keep the weather out of the housing.
The outer plastic winglet is then set behind the installed lamp and attached to the piece of aluminum ( 6x6").
The on-switch is located on the side of the overhead console, together with the Rear plug-in
12 volt switch for winch operation in the back.
My 4x4 shop did all the wiring, neatly hidden underneath all the plastic moldings. Both the
switches have LED lights, red and green, when on.
Yes, the PIAA logo was sawed out by hand and a Dremel tool. Let's more light out in the middle of the lamp.
Front winch uses factory supplied locking pin,
required a vertical hole to be drilled thru the Warn cradle. No secure lock found as yet for it.

sal15
01-30-2003, 01:38 AM
The license plate is attached to a quarter inch thick piece of aluminum.
The aluminum plate is held in place by 4 quarter inch diameter flathead bolts thru the steel bumper with locking nuts.
License plate with plastic frame goes on top of it. Sturdy as can be.

sal15
01-30-2003, 02:44 AM
The winglet was moved back 3 1/2 inches. No problems with tire interference.
See: http://home.cdsnet.net/~wsal/winglet.jpg

Mango
01-30-2003, 11:39 PM
OK, the 540s are too big to fit inside the factory opening with the lamp guards on. I'm considering either altering the plastic bumper opening to accomodate the 540s or switching to the 510s. Problem with the 510s is that they have white guards--guess I could paint them black. One thing to remember is that the grill guard (if present) impinges on this area when the hood is opened leaving little clearance if the lights are not recessed into the DRL openings somewhat.

Mango
01-31-2003, 01:24 AM
Just discovered that the 510s have solid covers not grids like the 540s. That defeats the desired look. Gotta make the 540s work

AUBURN H2
02-06-2003, 01:58 AM
I have posted some pictures of some rally neat looking custom made bumper mount light brackets at topic "AUBURN H2(offroad light mounts) You might check these out for other lihgt mounting options. They are available for sale with or without the lights.

TonkaH2
02-06-2003, 08:37 PM
Just in case we haven't beat this to death, there's a good diagram of the differences between fog and driving lights on the PIAA site: http://www.piaa.com/displayLamp.php3?inc=520smr.html

Keep talking guys, you'll solve all my quandries before my truck arrives!

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order [forever]
Alaska to ??? June '03
www.sunspotnatural.com (http://www.sunspotnatural.com)

Mango
02-07-2003, 02:12 AM
I have given up on the PIAAs for now and have ordered CATz MSCs which are 3 1/2 inch round auxillary driving/fog lights and plan to mount them in the existing openings. If someone came out with a bracket like AUBURN's for the factory DRL location I would be interested. Actually, someone needs to come out with a whole new plastic bumper piece with 6 inch openings in it. The SMA show car actually has PIAA 520s mounted and they fabricated the housing from steel as AUBURN did--not sure what they did with the plastic piece under the center black grill that has the hitch pin opening in it. They may have replaced it also. Their kit revolves around their heavy duty grill guard, but I was told by Cole at SMA that they would be offering them later this year. Here's his email:

Ted,

The piece that you are referring to in our show truck is actually a steel valance that we made to house the PIAA 520's, but it also the mount for our brushguard. We felt that the hood was not the ideal place to mount a brushguard if you wanted to use it for what it is designed for. The metal valance will be available later this year, and we will offer it with both sizes of holes, one for the factory DRL's and the larger for the PIAA 520's. One thing to consider is the legal issues with removing/modifying the DRL's. I am currently unaware of the current legislation, but it may be a wise idea to consider first. Keep an eye on our brushguard located at http://smahummer.com/detail.jsp?cid=8&pid=584 for more updates on when it will be available. These photos show the steel valance with the factory DRL's.

Good luck,

Cole