PDA

View Full Version : Transmission cooler and oil cooler -- also overheating in general

GeorgeSSSS
12-10-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm evaluating buying an H2 after my current SUV was destroyed in an auto collission (the other side has admitted fault). The H2 owners manual I got online mentions a tranmission cooler and an oil cooler. However, I can't find anything about how they work.

My precise questions: Does the transmission cooler have an electric fan activated by a thermostat so that it "kicks in" when needed (this is what my destroyed SUV had). Does the oil cooler have a similar set up? If not, could someone describe how these units work? I take my SUV into some remote areas with others on board, so this is important to me.

Thanks,

GeorgeSSSS

GeorgeSSSS
I'm evaluating buying an H2 after my current SUV was destroyed in an auto collission (the other side has admitted fault). The H2 owners manual I got online mentions a tranmission cooler and an oil cooler. However, I can't find anything about how they work.

My precise questions: Does the transmission cooler have an electric fan activated by a thermostat so that it "kicks in" when needed (this is what my destroyed SUV had). Does the oil cooler have a similar set up? If not, could someone describe how these units work? I take my SUV into some remote areas with others on board, so this is important to me.

Thanks,

GeorgeSSSS

GeorgeSSSS

Thanks,

GeorgeSSSS

Hummie2
12-10-2004, 05:38 PM
The engine oil cooler is a heat exchanger mounted inside the driverside radiator tank. The trans cooler has a similar heat exchanger in the passenger side radiator tank and a aux. air to oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator & airconditioning condenser. It does not have an electric fan.

GeorgeSSSS
12-10-2004, 06:10 PM
Hummie2,

Thanks for the knowledge, but you lost me a little. Can you describe what you mean by a "heat exchanger inside the driverside radiator tank"? I haven't been able to find the information about the H2 oil & trans coolers anywhere else, so my guess is a number of folks will see this and will be a bit confused as am I.

Best regards,

George

Texas Red
12-10-2004, 06:33 PM
It is a fairly robust system. If you're really considering an H2, go to a dealer -- a good H2 salesman will be able to pop the hood, show you, and explain it to you. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hummie2
12-10-2004, 06:42 PM
George...

Here is how the shop manual describes the oil coolers:
"Engine Oil Cooler
The engine oil cooler is a heat exchanger. It is located inside the left side end tank of the radiator. The engine oil temperature is controlled by the temperature of the engine coolant that surrounds the oil cooler in the radiator.

The engine oil pump, pumps the oil through the engine oil cooler line to the oil cooler. The oil then flows through the cooler where the engine coolant absorbs heat from the oil. The oil is then pumped through the oil cooler return line, to the oil filter, to the engine block oil system."

You would have to remove the end tank to see the actual cooler. It sort of resembles a bellows with coolant on the outside and oil flowing through the inside.

Hope this helps.

Don

GeorgeSSSS
12-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Outstanding explanation. Now I understand both units perfectly. Thanks very much for the help.

George

unaslob
12-10-2004, 08:45 PM
****..... i didnt know ppl looked into these sort of things...

i walked onto the lot and asked the salesman if they had any yellow...

unaslob

GeorgeSSSS
12-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Unaslob: sounds like you've got one terrific H2 -- -- which lets me ask another question.

Has anyone had trouble with an H2 overheating?

Thanks,

George

Hummie2
12-10-2004, 11:52 PM
You will hear your clutch fan come on fairly often when stopped for traffic lights during high ambient temps. It won't stay on very long however, that fan really moves some air.

GeorgeSSSS
12-11-2004, 12:59 AM
Thanks very much guys. Definitely very good information.

George

unaslob
12-11-2004, 02:06 AM
while the supposed problems with the h2 seem to be numerous.... i have never heard of any overheating issues... and we have ppl on this forum from the hottest places in the country beating these things offroad. And I promise if there was a problem there would be about 50 threads on it

welcome to the forum.

unaslob

GeorgeSSSS
12-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the additional info unaslob. Being part of this forum looks like a very good thing.

George

H2 Bill
12-13-2004, 04:14 PM
Hey GeorgeSSSS, I live in the desert where we hit the 100+ temps all summer long and have never had any problems...don't worry about it. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

GeorgeSSSS
12-13-2004, 08:59 PM
Thanks H2 Bill. I'm familiar with Palm Desert and there's no doubt that it's a serious test of engine cooling. Looks like you've got one heck of an H2 and a lot of other very nice toys too.

Thanks again for the good info.

George