PDA

View Full Version : Using Flowmaster 40 series muffler. PhilD follow up.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
11-30-2004, 01:22 AM
PhilD
I went back to the exhaust shop to day and we had been talking to Flowmaster tech's etc. He said what we were trying to do is not even close to what he would recomend as far as muffler type and duels etc., that just makes me want to make it work even more when i get told it want work. He wanted a big oval with 2 inlets and 2 outlets. This is what it came with except on the exit it joined back into 1 pipe. The 05 H2 has a basic duel exhaust. It has a cat for right and one left. things are a little tighter under the h2 than i would have imagined. We cut out everything from each cat back to tailpipe. We came with 3" from cat's to the 2 40 series turned with the sides going up and down so we could fit 2 of them side by side and welded them together. We wanted to come out the back with 3" but we found there was no room to safely put 3" side by side over axle. Flowmaster tech had kept telling us that we were letting it breath to much and could reduce performance by "taking it's breath away". We ended up going over the axle instead of stopping just in front of axle and turn them down which is what we had originally done and it was to loud and to much vibraion. We went with 2 - 2 1/2" so to have room for clearance over axle, well this made tech happy that by doing this we put some restriction back on the system. Looking at H2 from behind we could not come over the left side of axle with 1 pipe and across axle on other side with the other. To many lines over on left side, so we brought both over right side just like factory does with there single line. I could not decide at first if I wanted to get them low enough to put chrome tips but as I thought about it the factory's idea was to hide the exhaust so that is what i decided to do. We came over axle and left plenty of space between pipes and everthing else around it. We turned pipes down and slightly to the right frm behind but, kept them high enough that they are hard to see. The sound is great inside the cab now, I feel the luxury of the quiet unless romping on it. Before the vibration would turn your guts to jelly if You went on a long drive. The longer pipes reduced the resonance but sound sweet idling and when you get on it it makes a difference in power and you can still hear it get loud like you want. I will not be going to 50 series like I thought i may have to so I could still get that luxury ride feel and big sound. Phil if You have any questions just let it go. I'll try to answer and if I can not I talk to my exhaust man and get you an answer.
She sounds sweet now. I still got to drive it for 3 to 4 days to get the final feel but I'm fairly sure I'm there.

Phil also I have found some laws that says the automobile manufacturer can not void your warranty if You add supercharger. I'm going to research it more bt i ran across it on a sema link but maybe some of the lawyers out there could check it out easier than i could.
Rick

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
PhilD
I went back to the exhaust shop to day and we had been talking to Flowmaster tech's etc. He said what we were trying to do is not even close to what he would recomend as far as muffler type and duels etc., that just makes me want to make it work even more when i get told it want work. He wanted a big oval with 2 inlets and 2 outlets. This is what it came with except on the exit it joined back into 1 pipe. The 05 H2 has a basic duel exhaust. It has a cat for right and one left. things are a little tighter under the h2 than i would have imagined. We cut out everything from each cat back to tailpipe. We came with 3" from cat's to the 2 40 series turned with the sides going up and down so we could fit 2 of them side by side and welded them together. We wanted to come out the back with 3" but we found there was no room to safely put 3" side by side over axle. Flowmaster tech had kept telling us that we were letting it breath to much and could reduce performance by "taking it's breath away". We ended up going over the axle instead of stopping just in front of axle and turn them down which is what we had originally done and it was to loud and to much vibraion. We went with 2 - 2 1/2" so to have room for clearance over axle, well this made tech happy that by doing this we put some restriction back on the system. Looking at H2 from behind we could not come over the left side of axle with 1 pipe and across axle on other side with the other. To many lines over on left side, so we brought both over right side just like factory does with there single line. I could not decide at first if I wanted to get them low enough to put chrome tips but as I thought about it the factory's idea was to hide the exhaust so that is what i decided to do. We came over axle and left plenty of space between pipes and everthing else around it. We turned pipes down and slightly to the right frm behind but, kept them high enough that they are hard to see. The sound is great inside the cab now, I feel the luxury of the quiet unless romping on it. Before the vibration would turn your guts to jelly if You went on a long drive. The longer pipes reduced the resonance but sound sweet idling and when you get on it it makes a difference in power and you can still hear it get loud like you want. I will not be going to 50 series like I thought i may have to so I could still get that luxury ride feel and big sound. Phil if You have any questions just let it go. I'll try to answer and if I can not I talk to my exhaust man and get you an answer.
She sounds sweet now. I still got to drive it for 3 to 4 days to get the final feel but I'm fairly sure I'm there.

Phil also I have found some laws that says the automobile manufacturer can not void your warranty if You add supercharger. I'm going to research it more bt i ran across it on a sema link but maybe some of the lawyers out there could check it out easier than i could.
Rick

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
PhilD

Rick

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
11-30-2004, 12:29 PM
PhilD
It really was not a very bad job. They did the work and listened to what I had on my mind. it took about 2 hours on the first try and about 1 hour on the second try. The trick is do not go to just any old muffler shop. Find a performance exhaust shop. To them it is art and they will work and work on it and in my case not charge much more as they want you to tell people where it came from. I mean he could look at my H2 and tell that it was not a regular truck they way it is dressed up inside and out. He had only worked on one other H2 and he said it looked like it had been thru WWIII. He was actually proud to work on it. I asked about headers so exhaust guy is sending me to a private guy who sells and builds headers for the rice rockets and slider guys but said He would love to work on an H2. He also builds for dirt trackers @ dragsters etc. No joke it is by appointment only. So just ask around about exhaust guy rep. and they will know what to do just about before you know what you want.
Rick