PDA

View Full Version : Tires: BFGoodrich All Terrain vs Goodyear Wrangler

JCJ
01-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Just finished reading article in Automagazine's The Complete 4x4 Guide 2003. "Extreme Rigged: The Hummer H2 Rocks out at the Extreme Rock Crawling Nationals". Nice!
What interested me also was a box titled "Rubber on the rocks" re Goodyear's Wrangler MT/R (37/12.5-17) charactaristics on the trail.
My H2 came w/ BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A (LT 315/70R17) tires.

Anybody's ideas how the latter compare against the former?

Can't find any web-sites containing "compare it"-pages.

JCJ
01-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Just finished reading article in Automagazine's The Complete 4x4 Guide 2003. "Extreme Rigged: The Hummer H2 Rocks out at the Extreme Rock Crawling Nationals". Nice!
What interested me also was a box titled "Rubber on the rocks" re Goodyear's Wrangler MT/R (37/12.5-17) charactaristics on the trail.
My H2 came w/ BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A (LT 315/70R17) tires.

Anybody's ideas how the latter compare against the former?

Can't find any web-sites containing "compare it"-pages.

JCJ
01-11-2003, 07:00 PM
BTW Check those tires (and rims for that matter) on the Toyota FJ Cruiser! Cool tread.
Coolest feature I find on that car.

http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=8326043161&m=6416005161&r=2296093002#2296093002

Mike97ZJ
01-11-2003, 07:39 PM
If you go to www.tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com) and look up the tires you are interested in, they have comparisons and a bunch of consumer reviews.

The MTR is actually better compared with the BFG Mud Terrain KM, as they are both mud tires.

I've done alot of research on the MTR's, as I'm planning on getting a set for my Jeep.

From what I've read, the MTR's are great on the rocks, good onroad (for a mud tire, that is), good in snow, and good in the rain.
They also tend to wear quickly (less than 30k) and get louder as they wear.

The BFG AT's are great onroad, and pretty good offroad, except for mud.They also last much longer than the MTR's especially on heavy vehicles. 40-50K out of them is pretty normal.

If you drive on alot of packed snow, the BFG's will be much better.

As far as tires go, for packed snow, you want an AT, for deep, loose snow, you want a MT.

Bottom line is that the BFG AT is a great street tire that is also pretty good in most conditions offraod.

The MTR is a great offroad tire that is still liveable on the street.

You need to decide where your priorities lay:

offroad performance, or street performance?

You can't have both, so one has to come at the expense of the other.

Hope that helps answer your question.