PDA

View Full Version : HUMMER H2 IS GREAT IN THE MUD!!!!!

Arizona Hummerboy
12-06-2002, 10:21 PM
Let me say that the H2 is great in the mud. I found a mud pit that was calling my Hummer to come play. The pit of mud was about 200 long and 30 feet wide. There was a guy there with a Nice Looking 4x4 Chevy with a 6" lift on it Big Off Road Tires He would not go in it, Said the mud was too deep. Well I said let me show you what the Big Dog can do. I went into the pit of mud with out going into 4 hi. Well when I got in about 30 feet or so I felt the front end go down I was end to MUD & WATER that came up to the driving lights. So I drop the hammer down. I had a nice rooster tail on each side of the Hummer about 25 feet high. I came out of the hole with the Hummer cover in mud. I went over to the guy that was watching and said to him I wonder what it would be like to go thru it in 4 hi. The guy could not get over the fact that I was not in 4 wheel drive. SO the next trip thru I took him with me to show him I was not locked in. The third trip in I went in at 4 hi, after getting in and some were in the middle of the mud I turn a tight donut to show him the power of the Hummer.
To make a long story short,I spent 6 dollars at the power wash and 3 hours at home washing my BIG DOG DOWN.
The only problem I had was on my way home, my battery light came on, computer was saying battery not charging. I did wash all of mud off of the engine and every thing works ok after that.

www.awesomesuccess.com (http://www.awesomesuccess.com)

Arizona Hummerboy
12-06-2002, 10:21 PM
Let me say that the H2 is great in the mud. I found a mud pit that was calling my Hummer to come play. The pit of mud was about 200 long and 30 feet wide. There was a guy there with a Nice Looking 4x4 Chevy with a 6" lift on it Big Off Road Tires He would not go in it, Said the mud was too deep. Well I said let me show you what the Big Dog can do. I went into the pit of mud with out going into 4 hi. Well when I got in about 30 feet or so I felt the front end go down I was end to MUD & WATER that came up to the driving lights. So I drop the hammer down. I had a nice rooster tail on each side of the Hummer about 25 feet high. I came out of the hole with the Hummer cover in mud. I went over to the guy that was watching and said to him I wonder what it would be like to go thru it in 4 hi. The guy could not get over the fact that I was not in 4 wheel drive. SO the next trip thru I took him with me to show him I was not locked in. The third trip in I went in at 4 hi, after getting in and some were in the middle of the mud I turn a tight donut to show him the power of the Hummer.
To make a long story short,I spent 6 dollars at the power wash and 3 hours at home washing my BIG DOG DOWN.
The only problem I had was on my way home, my battery light came on, computer was saying battery not charging. I did wash all of mud off of the engine and every thing works ok after that.

www.awesomesuccess.com (http://www.awesomesuccess.com)

NSXTC
12-07-2002, 03:39 AM
You're a braver man the I. I would love to hit the muds, but I don't know if I have the patience for a 3 hour wash.

==================
03 Metallic Red H2
02 Ducati 998R

Arizona Hummerboy
12-07-2002, 06:46 AM
I never thought they would be so much mud and rocks, The only good thing was my drive way is on a hill so I was able to lay down at the front of the vehicle and wash under it, there is so many places for mud to hide under the rig. I am still getting a warning light about the battery stateing battery is not charging per computer info. I checked it out with on star, they say everything is all right, will check it over on Saturday morning, if still getting the warning, I will put it in the shop to be checked.

Gary
12-07-2002, 11:13 AM
Arizona HummerBoy,

Please don't take this the wrong way. Previously, there were three H2's that needed their alternators replaced. They all were at the Gorman event that The HUMMER Club, Inc. organized. What happened is they went into the mud pit there and went through it the same way you previously described and the mud got into the engine compartment and entered into the alternator. After a few hours on the trails, the H2's stopped running because their alternators fried and the battery drained down. Please check your engine compartment to see if your alternator is sending back a charge to your battery. Otherwise, you may end up stuck somewhere and have no power. I don't believe the alternators were covered as warranty issue. Because what the other H2 owners did was considered excessive abuse when off roading and wasn't in the approved specs of the H2. If I am incorrect on this observation from past H2 events, someone please chime in and set the record straight. Here are some previous posts on the issue.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 17:38:26 EST
To: h2ml@3dhosting.com
Subject: Re: H2ML: Re: RE: More Gorman thoughts
Message-ID: <26.30b083f8.2afd96e2@aol.com>

--part1_26.30b083f8.2afd96e2_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

In a message dated 11/8/2002 9:30:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
craigandjackie@socal.rr.com writes:

> you know, the guys who go to Hummer Club
> meeting and don't get dirty

I'll have you know that I had to wash my H2 when I got home....and some dirt
even made its way onto my floor mats. Sheesh....I drag some fresh 'meat' onto
the list and I'm taking flack already. That's okay, not only can I take
it...I enjoy it ; )

Okay, I admit....I didn't go through the mud-pit (not even once!)....but for
good reason: I wanted some clean shots of my rig on some of the obstacles and
other stuff....after that I had planned on hitting the pit. Only flaw in my
plan is that I didn't anticipate all you mud-whompers spillin' most the water
out from the pit. Then, alternators starting going down. In light of
alternators dropping rigs from activities....your bet I steered clear from
the pit-of-alternator-doom. Besides...what's mud spelled backwards?

I am throwing myself at the mercy of the list: absolve me of the criminally
clean act. If the mud don't stick, you must acquit!

....and don't worry Craig, I won't tell everyone that you went up those steep
hills because your confidence in knowing both your rear AND front lockers
were engaged!

- Steve ; )
Hummer '03 H2 Red/adv
Los Angeles, CALIF

--part1_26.30b083f8.2afd96e2_boundary--

Respectfully yours,

Gary
Finlayson, MN

Kevin B
12-07-2002, 11:03 PM
Hey wait just a second,I thought the H2 wa a full time four wheel drive viehicle? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

dr p
12-09-2002, 11:45 PM
it is a full time 4-wheel drive vehicle. its not if your in neutral

HummerGirl
12-10-2002, 12:05 AM
No, I think he meant he was not in "REAL" four wheel such as "4 Locked Hi"...as in what the other truck would have had to change into to make the pit.

~amy
Move it or Lose it...
http://home.earthlink.net/~thecelestialbath/emotihummer.gif

Allen
12-11-2002, 03:22 PM
I was in Gorman the week after the big Hummer event. I was speaking to the ranger and your exactly correct, 4 Hummers were towed out due to Alternator problems - Excessive mud running. I do not know if is covered under warranty. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

SJ
12-11-2002, 03:50 PM
Arizona:

Glad you had fun in a mud pit. I did the same and got stuck, but only after powering through every other obstacle that I could throw at the H2. I'm not worried about the alternator, as I will require GM to replace under warranty should I have any issues. No troubles yet, and I've seen mud, snow, and water. GM will honor my alternator since the H2 is intended for off-road use (i.e. exposure to mud) and who's to say I exceeded the 20" fording specification!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

As clarification for some of the preceding posts, the H2 drives in 4-Hi under normal conditions. I've locked the front Differential numerous times, but only locked the Rear Axle Set once, and probably did not need to do so.

dr p
12-11-2002, 09:47 PM
I'm thoroughtly confused now. From what I have read there is no lockable front differential on our truck. the first thing we lock is the transfer case. then there is a lockable rear diff. We should be able to purchase a lockable front diff soon just as you would for a TJ Jeep. Someone please clarify.