PDA

View Full Version : Penn's Cave Pictures

shipbldr
10-17-2005, 10:39 PM
The Penn's cave event this weekend was a blast...

The trails were short compared to say, Paragon... but they more than made up for it with the obstacles!

I have net seen more attentive or enthuiastic service in a long time. It was evident they put a lot of effort into preparing the offroad course.

In the rock garden I had one of the most challenging and sickening offroad moments yet in my H2:

Imaging yourself working sideways along the side of a 45 deg plus hill covered in wet leaves. As you squeeze between two trees with about 11 inches on either side you feel the uphill wheels ready to lift.

So you stop. Look left, and see the downhill tree inching closer. You are sliding sideways. So its either brave the lifting uphill wheels and go forward... or wait to slide into the downhill tree!!!

Sickening, challenging, and cool at once.

The event was also balanced in the Saturday we wheeled and Sunday we did a guided (well guided by Don) tour of the area.

Hong really enjoyed doing something other than wheeling for a while, and I enjoyed driving around (without having to wheel) on Sunday.

A nice trip. Recommended for a great combination of obstacle play and local touring!

Thanks to everyone at Penns Cave!

ree
12-06-2005, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by shipbldr:
In the rock garden I had one of the most challenging and sickening offroad moments yet in my H2:

Imaging yourself working sideways along the side of a 45 deg plus hill covered in wet leaves. As you squeeze between two trees with about 11 inches on either side you feel the uphill wheels ready to lift.

So you stop. Look left, and see the downhill tree inching closer. You are sliding sideways. So its either brave the lifting uphill wheels and go forward... or wait to slide into the downhill tree!!!

Sickening, challenging, and cool at once.

Charles,
So I'm reading this quarter's THCI Azimuth article on the "Howling Wolf" mountain run, and on page 37 I had a deja vu moment tied back to this post.

The above text was quoted pretty closely by Don. You weren't credited by name, but rather referred to as "one Hummer owner."

BABHUMV
12-06-2005, 02:53 AM
I'm interested, How did the H3 do?