PDA

View Full Version : Clearing A Check Engine Light

SOCRATES
02-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Hi All,

I had the CE light appear yesterday, and I'm sure it is due to my Stant locking gas cap. I had a "Tighten Fuel Cap" twice now, but last night the CE came on instead. I have replaced the cap with the original, and plan on getting a locking fuel door this week. In the meantime, can I clear the CE light via disconnecting the battery, or will this not work? If not, will I have to take it to the dealer (a hour ride from here may I add)?

Thanks in advance!

Black '04 H2 w/ Adventure & Luxury Packages. Corsa on the way!

SOCRATES
02-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Hi All,

I had the CE light appear yesterday, and I'm sure it is due to my Stant locking gas cap. I had a "Tighten Fuel Cap" twice now, but last night the CE came on instead. I have replaced the cap with the original, and plan on getting a locking fuel door this week. In the meantime, can I clear the CE light via disconnecting the battery, or will this not work? If not, will I have to take it to the dealer (a hour ride from here may I add)?

Thanks in advance!

KenP
02-01-2004, 07:07 PM
This does not specifically state Hummer, but...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t158148.html

Flatrater []

11-29-2003, 08:12 PM Re: 96 Regal Light (Post #3)
You cannot clear codes on any GM above a 96 model year. You cannot get flash codes in 96 and newer. Only way to clear codes is with a scan tool.

You need to go back to that shop demand your money back since they didn't fix the problem!

Go to the dealer and have them fix it. 1996 was the first year of OBD2 and evap codes. Your car computer monitors fuel vapor leaks.

11 years dealer trained
Bumper to bumper tech
Licensed Avaition mechanic

Please post or PM me I will answer within 2 to 3 days. If you email me it may take up to a week to answer. Give as much info as you can. Make, model, year, engine, trouble code and trouble code description. Help me help you. The more you tell me the more I can help you!!
Report Post | IP: Logged

Hope this helps and hope this is wrong.
Try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes.

Black Lingenfelter Lux

SOCRATES
02-01-2004, 07:52 PM
Thanks, Ken.. I'm going to give the battery disconnection a try and see what happens.

-Justyn

HMSH2
02-01-2004, 08:00 PM
CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

The control module turns OFF the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
Use a scan tool in order to clear the MIL and the DTC.

SOCRATES
02-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Left the battery disconnected for a couple of minutes..

Check engine light is gone, thank goodness. Thanks for the posts..

-J