PDA

View Full Version : Which computer programmer works the best?

OrangeCrush
11-13-2005, 08:06 PM
I want to install some new programming. Based on a post by another member, I've been talking to Allen Nelson from Nelson Performance so far about having the PCM flashed.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, I was originally thinking about using Hypertech but anyone try anything else?

thanks,

Mark

OrangeCrush
11-13-2005, 08:06 PM
I want to install some new programming. Based on a post by another member, I've been talking to Allen Nelson from Nelson Performance so far about having the PCM flashed.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, I was originally thinking about using Hypertech but anyone try anything else?

thanks,

Mark

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
11-14-2005, 08:40 AM
Orange I have run many programers.
Right now the one I like the best is the new Fast Flash HandHeld by Comp Cams, although I actually run a custom tune I make using the HPTUNERS software now and it is sweet. If You like that tinkering You can buy the base tuning software You run off Your laptop that will do more than a hand held and cost almost the same amount of money unless You get lucky buying a used handheld, that has had the vin number cleared. That is the one problem with buying used ones is many are stolen and they have not or do not have vin cleared so it will be worthless for Your ride. I highly recommend You go to HPTUNERS.com and look at their different programming options. They have a great forum that guys are always trying to help the newbies learn to use it and the owners of the company are on there almost all the time or at least 1 of the 3 and the moderate it also. It is a great learning forum. Check it out and read allot of info to help You decide if it would be for You. If You decide to go their route email Keith and tell Him Rick their sponsored H2 sent You. May help but, then again they may run. No really I have a good relationship with the owners and they are My sole tuning sponsor and I had choices and the more I looked and read about them the easier the decision got.
I'm developing a tune for highway driving to get MPG, a regular tune that would run most of the time and tamed down a little, and a race tune that I put in when i need it. It will save Your factory tune and You build of that. Sometimes You find a guy on their forum that has done allot and they will send You what they have developed.

The programmer I used before was the ProFlash until Comp Cams bought it this last winter of 2004. They were wanting to get into the business and they looked around and found the one they liked best based on tests they ran. The one they felt was user friendly.
But, I have used Hypertech ad do like it.
Good hunting

TAZ

OrangeCrush
11-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Thanks Taz, I ended up getting the Superchip's programmer. I had a Hypertech and though I didn't have any problems with it, I thought I would try something different.

Mark

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
11-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Your welcome Orange. I hope it goes OK for You. I have a reason to know if You could have held off on the superchips a month or 2 You would have been getting a real good programmer. Let's just say look for a reason to get another superchips when I mention it as You will be glad you did.
I have the superchips that came with the magnuson and In would not give it to My worst enemy. I'm acually going to clear it and flash a program I make off the HPTUNERS kit I got. That is the reason I recommend it is it will give you more control. Superchips will let You pick perf., tow, and effency MPG on the highway but, for instance they leave about 40 HP on the table for a cushion but, so do the rest so it is not just them. Everyone I hope will begin to look at self tuning options rather than preset. it teachs You so much more about how everything works like os sensors air/fuel just so much.
You can see live ratios and graphs displying what the engine is doing.
I hope it goes well Buddy but, it would not hurt if You are disappointed in a few months and demand to move to the next generation.

TAZ

OrangeCrush
11-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks Taz,

After having about every car I've owned dynotuned, I understand all too well the benefits of having a tuned ECM.

Right now I just want to make the truck run better and get a little better performance.

I'm starting another bodyshop and when things calm down, I'll probably be adding a supercharger anyways.

Who knows, perhaps when the new superchips program comes out, I'll add it later.

One opinion though... I COMPLETELY agree about the programming that comes with a Maggie being on the weak side. However, that's not Superchip's fault, Magnuson is the reason for the overly safe programming. I think that for the most part, any Hypertech or Superchip's programming is pretty efficient for a stand-alone program. (of course, nowhere near as good as any engine dynotuning)

Anyway, thanks for the advice, please let me know when the new superchips programming comes out.

Mark

tomp
11-15-2005, 12:56 AM
Anyone notice the stock ECM program makes the tranny shift a little late going from 1st to 2nd gear?

Looking at Dyno charts (for close to stock build), it appears you'd be best to shift from 1-2 at just after 5k RPM. In stock form, I was shifting about 5600 RPM. The dyno charts showed the peak hp leveling off at 5K, so I don't see a need to hold on until 5600 RPM.

I have the Hypertech and made shift occur from 1-2 gear at about 5250 and enabled "Firm Shifting" feature and it made a world of difference!

All other shift points (besides 1-2 gear) occur where they should (about 5250 RPM) in stock form and there was no need to change the others.

It sure shifts much better now http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif