PDA

View Full Version : More on the cheapo lift route

JohnnyRPM
10-27-2004, 07:34 PM
I've ben watching the threads on the dubious 'ebay 2" lift' and wanted to check my assumptions.

If I lift the front slightly with torsion bar adjustments or new keys I will likely need an alignment and I need to be careful I don't lift so much as to be unable to align it correctly. I will also get a harsher ride, depending on how much I adjust the bars. Correct so far?

Next, as I understand it, the rear air system will NOT compensate for the added front ride height because of it's relatively simple nature, it being just a rod measurement system. Raising the front will not really change the distance between the rear suspension components and the chassis enough to maintain the same front/rear attitude as stock. It would have a squatted look to it. Still accurate?

Next, I could shim the rod bracket to fool the system into thinking it's sitting lower than it is, maintaining the back to front rake that I do actually like. But my concern here is that I not exceed the travel limitations of the air system. If I jack it up a bit, say a tad less than 2 inches and then hit the rear raise button, it's traveling a little less than 2" more than it normally would under stock conditions. Anyone know enough about the air suspension system to know if this might cause me problems?

I know the right way to do it is with a proper lift kit but honestly I don't want any more than a slight lift due to my garage height. I'm just looking for a cheap, quick way to get a slightly more agressive profile and hey, every inch of GC counts right?

-John

JohnnyRPM
I've ben watching the threads on the dubious 'ebay 2" lift' and wanted to check my assumptions.

If I lift the front slightly with torsion bar adjustments or new keys I will likely need an alignment and I need to be careful I don't lift so much as to be unable to align it correctly. I will also get a harsher ride, depending on how much I adjust the bars. Correct so far?

Next, as I understand it, the rear air system will NOT compensate for the added front ride height because of it's relatively simple nature, it being just a rod measurement system. Raising the front will not really change the distance between the rear suspension components and the chassis enough to maintain the same front/rear attitude as stock. It would have a squatted look to it. Still accurate?

Next, I could shim the rod bracket to fool the system into thinking it's sitting lower than it is, maintaining the back to front rake that I do actually like. But my concern here is that I not exceed the travel limitations of the air system. If I jack it up a bit, say a tad less than 2 inches and then hit the rear raise button, it's traveling a little less than 2" more than it normally would under stock conditions. Anyone know enough about the air suspension system to know if this might cause me problems?

I know the right way to do it is with a proper lift kit but honestly I don't want any more than a slight lift due to my garage height. I'm just looking for a cheap, quick way to get a slightly more agressive profile and hey, every inch of GC counts right?

-John

JohnnyRPM

-John

JohnnyRPM
11-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Thanks Phil...I very much appreciate you chiming in. I may give this route a shot.