PDA

View Full Version : She's squealing like a pig

H2 Daddy
08-07-2003, 01:10 AM
My H2 has developed a squeal when accelerating hard away from a stop. There is no noise under light acceleration. Also, no noise when accelerating hard while at speed.

Anyone else had this problem? I am going to take it back to the dealer for service. I will let you know the outcome.

Oh, one more issue my H2 creaks when I am driving slowly on any kind of incline. Any other creaky H2's out there?

H2 Daddy
08-07-2003, 01:10 AM
My H2 has developed a squeal when accelerating hard away from a stop. There is no noise under light acceleration. Also, no noise when accelerating hard while at speed.

Anyone else had this problem? I am going to take it back to the dealer for service. I will let you know the outcome.

Oh, one more issue my H2 creaks when I am driving slowly on any kind of incline. Any other creaky H2's out there?

H2 Bill
08-07-2003, 12:51 PM
What kind of a squeel? Like a slipping belt?

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Polished Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow.
1994 Chev 454 Suburban, Blown, Doug Thorley
1970 Trans Am, balanced, blue printed, Hooker ceramics

www.4swimwear.com (http://www.4swimwear.com)

mboard
08-07-2003, 01:13 PM
I had bad squeal and turned out to be air conditioning compressor bearing. Of course should be no squeal when air is off.

TouchdownTN
08-07-2003, 05:03 PM
Mine definitely has the creak! Anytime it is not on level ground it creaks pretty bad. I'm thinking it is from the doors just not sure if you come up with a fix let me know!

03 Black Adventure with all Lux Options,Brush Guard Lights, and Sylvania Silverstars. Go Vols!!!

H2 Daddy
08-07-2003, 11:21 PM
mboard
I will try to duplicate the noise woth the air off.

H2 Bill
Yes it does sound like a slipping belt, but since my transfer case has been fixed twice, I always think the TC is going out again.

TouchdownTN
I think the creaking is coming from the supension. Maybe some of the parts need lubrication. I will bring the issue up with my Hummer service manager. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif That sounds bad. Let me rephrase. I will discuss the issue with the service manager when I bring my H2 in for the the other problem.

WHITE BEAST
08-07-2003, 11:41 PM
IS HE CUTE? LOL http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

2003 White Lux, Alpine Nav, DVD, Tuner, 3 Screens, Cold Air Intake, Chip, Vented Snorkels, Metal Dash & Mats, SMA - Gas Cover, Air Vent Cover, Hood Handles, A/C Vent Rings

Hummer Man
08-08-2003, 12:25 AM
H2 DADDY, Its the tensioner pully on the main serpentine belt - also called idler pulley by some mechanics. There are two on the H2 and my bet is that it is the lower one - Which of course is harder to see. Open the hood, Put the emergency break on. push the accelerator until RPM's are in the 2000 range. Try this with both air conditioner on and off. And with the Air conditioner fan on and off. Have you recently had an oil change or added any fluids - coolant etc. ???
Let me know what you find with the above. The H2 motor is at a slightly sharper angle then this VORTEC is usually mounted and we have identified - lets just call them minor quirks.
Also double check garage floor or driveway for any fluids.
Best Regards, Hummer Man

H2 Daddy
08-14-2003, 04:58 AM
Hummer Man

I called my dealer's service manager today to schedule an appointment for my H2. The service manager said the sqealing noise sounded like the air conditioning compressor. He said he has seen this problem before. My appointment is Monday, so we shall see what is the problem. I also told him about the creaking noise and he thinks it is a suspension bushing. I will report back on both issues.

Oh by the way, there are no fluids on the floor nor have I had to add any. But I do have a black locking fuel door on order. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

H2 Daddy
08-19-2003, 11:58 PM
I got my H2 back from the dealer today. The sqealing noise was from the air-conditioning compressor. They put in a new one.

The creaking noise was from the "emergency cables contacting with the lower left link arm".

I have had a number of things go wrong with my H2, but the service manager fixes everything without any hesitation. They also do the repairs quickly. They even overnight the parts in. I am very happy with my dealer's service department.

H2 Daddy
08-31-2003, 02:46 AM
They did not find the cause of the sqealing noise. It is still there. I will wait a while to see if it gets worse.

TBarrow
09-18-2003, 12:24 AM
H2 Daddy I have the same noise and the are replacing the compressor in the morning. I just went out of factory warranty 700 miles ago. Luckily at 35,500 I bought the extended to 100,000. Has your problem resurfaced or gone away?

Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, 2-7" screens in headrests with DVD player and TV Tuner.

H2 Daddy
09-18-2003, 12:55 AM
T
My noise is still there, but only under hard acceleration. If I step on the gas lightly, there is no noise. I have been too busy to take my H2 in to the shop.

They replaced the air-conditioning compressor. This did not solve the problem.

Did your H2 feel like it lost some acceleration ability after you installed your 37" wheels? Did you lose any braking power? Did your programmer give you more power?

TBarrow
09-18-2003, 11:29 AM
Actually I installed the tires after the programmer and with the improved performance I have not seen a difference with or without the 37's. The only hesitation is when you punch it at 65+ MPH. there is no gear searching or surging. The braking was never GREAT so I really have not noticed a real reduction. The one thing is that the speedometer is off by 10% according to GPS.

The noise is coming from the compressor area. The noise actually stops when I turn the A/C off. If it is not the compressor the only other moving part in that area is the A/C idler/tensioner pulley so it could also be a bearing there.?? I will see today and if they changed anything else I will let you know.

Todd

Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, 2-7" screens in headrests with DVD player and TV Tuner.

TBarrow
09-18-2003, 09:08 PM
Well I got the truck back and they replaced the a/c compressor, accumilator, orfice tube, belt tensioner, belt, and flushed recharged and replaced the seals. No noise at any speed.

OK Phil, I really like the 580's I have pencil beams mounted in the center, and fog beams on the outside. All the 580's are the extreme white. with that beam setup I have both the depth and fill for all purposes. They light up about 3/4 to 1 mile down the road. The extreme white bulbs are actually a brighter white than my HID's. I will try to emember to take some pictures for you. You are in Texas?

1BADH2
09-19-2003, 11:58 AM
H2 daddy, take a look at your power steering pump. My was just replaced and when I would accerate it would squeal the same way.

WHITE BEAST
09-19-2003, 02:11 PM
Hey 1Bad,

Check out my East Coast Dinner/ Meet.......You should attend!

2003 White Lux, Alpine Nav, DVD/Tuner, 3 Screens, Cold Air with Vented Snorkels, Metal Dash & Mats, SMA Chrome Accessories, Corsa Exhaust, Headers, Nology Plugs & Wires.

TBarrow
09-19-2003, 09:58 PM
I will also have the driving 580's on the grill soon.

Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Xenarc HID, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, 2-7" screens in headrests with DVD player and TV Tuner.

H2 Daddy
09-20-2003, 12:36 AM
T and 1

Thanks for the imput on the sqealing problem. When I get some time next week, I am going to take my H2 into the shop. I will mention the parts you guys referenced.