PDA

View Full Version : Do intake/exhaust mods require a computer reset?

Chewy
09-17-2003, 11:04 AM
I just had Borla headers, Corsa Touring exhaust, and an Airaid drop in filter replacement added to my H2. I've seen some info that says you need to disconnect the battery briefly to reset the computer so it can "learn" the new setup. The Corsa install manual says nothing about it.

Is this really required? If so, what would the effect be on performance, mileage, etc?

Thanks

Chewy
09-17-2003, 11:04 AM
I just had Borla headers, Corsa Touring exhaust, and an Airaid drop in filter replacement added to my H2. I've seen some info that says you need to disconnect the battery briefly to reset the computer so it can "learn" the new setup. The Corsa install manual says nothing about it.

Is this really required? If so, what would the effect be on performance, mileage, etc?

Thanks

Kevin W
09-17-2003, 12:04 PM
Hey Chewy,
I am interested in doing the exact same mods, did you do them yourself? If not, how much was installation for the headers and exhaust? Do you see a big performance difference?

Kevin

PS. sorry to get off topic, just got excited to see someone post about mods I am getting ready to do myself.

Kevin

2003 Pewter H2, Tire relocator, painted hard tire cover, billet gas cover, MC2 chrome hood handles, stainless bumper letters, 15% tinted front windows,pioneer nav/dvd, xm sat, headrest monitors, tv tuner, defenderworx hood latches, side vents, marker bezels, and chrome MC2 factory style wheels .

Chewy
09-17-2003, 03:56 PM
Kevin,

The dealer I bought the truck from normally charges ~$1600 installed (each) for the headers and the exhaust. I bought on a GMS discount so they gave them to me for $1200 each and I let them do the install. You can probably find the gear for $700 or so (each). The exhaust install looks fairly easy (check out the instructions at http://www.corsaperf.com). I probably wouldn't tackle the headers, although I just did an install of a set of Banks headers on my Wrangler.

As for performance, I've only done an hour or so on the new setup, but I'm very pleased. It's as quiet, or quieter than the stock setup at idle and light throttle (good for Momma) but really gets your attention when you kick it (good for me). It's definitely quicker and has alot more midrange torque. One other unexpected thing I've noticed, it's lost alot of the tendency to kick down when in cruise control on moderate grades.

Don't have a read yet on any mileage improvements - I'll have to get past the fun of doing full throttle take offs before it'll be a fair thing to look at.

Have fun,

Chewy http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kevin W
09-17-2003, 04:26 PM
Hey there,

Thanks for all your info. I appreciate it.

Kevin

2003 Pewter H2, Tire relocator, painted hard tire cover, billet gas cover, MC2 chrome hood handles, stainless bumper letters, 15% tinted front windows,pioneer nav/dvd, xm sat, headrest monitors, tv tuner, defenderworx hood latches, side vents, marker bezels, and chrome MC2 factory style wheels .

Jason
09-17-2003, 04:38 PM
Kevin,

I have the Corsa Sport exhaust installed. I love it. As far as the installation, it is certainly something that one can do on his/her own (providing you have the right tools.) I did not do it on my own, took it to a local muffler shop. They installed it in under 45 minutes (and the guy had a cigarette in his mouth the whole time), and it cost me about $100.

I do not have the headers or computer upgrade, but hear it only gets better with it all!

Jason

H2 Daddy
09-18-2003, 01:28 AM
Kevin W

I installed my own Corsa exhaust and Gibson headers myself and in that order. The Corsa System was so easy to install. The hardest part (which was not hard, took 5 minutes) was cutting two pipes in front of the muffler. All you need to do this is a Sawzall (reciprocating saw). Support the muffler when you do this or it will drop when you cut the pipes.

The headers were harder to install. If you are a tool guy and have worked on cars before, you could do the install. If you are a mechanical novice, I would not attempt it.

Albie
09-18-2003, 03:03 AM
hey guys any improvement on MPG and HP?

WHITE BEAST
09-18-2003, 03:30 AM
From what I hear, my Corsa exhaust took half an hour to install and the headers took 2 hours. The difference is dramatic!

2003 White Lux, Alpine Nav, DVD/Tuner, 3 Screens, Cold Air with Vented Snorkels, Metal Dash & Mats, SMA Chrome Accessories, Corsa Exhaust, Headers, Nology Plugs & Wires.

DURAMAX TIM
09-18-2003, 08:44 AM
Chewy, u can't hurt anything disconnecting the battery so I'd go ahead and do it.
I would think who ever put on the headers disconnected the battery so u don't short anything out on the starter.

H2 Daddy
09-18-2003, 09:42 AM
The Corsa install time is about a half hour, but my header installation instructions stated 4 to 6 hours. My headers took about 12 hours because I had a nut round-off and I had to cut and grind it away to get the Y-pipe off.

I used a 1/2 impact wrench to bust the bolts on the Y-pipe loose. They were pretty frozen and my H2 only had 11,000 miles on it. The mistake I made was using a non-impact socket with my impact wrench and it split and rounded the nut. I other mistake I made was not having a 1/2 swival, which caused the socket to not fit completely on and this contributed to the rounding problem. I made a few trips trips Sears to get the additonal tools, but that is ok because I love tools.

If I were to do another headers installation, I would know what I was doing and could probably do the job in 3 to 4 hours.

As far as post improvements, I don't feel much of a difference for the money ($800 Corsa, $670 Gibsons) spent. I would have to drive a stock H2 to tell. Gas mileage has not really improved noticeably, but I never really set-up any kind of before and after tests. All I know is that I still fill-up often.

mpetrich
09-18-2003, 10:19 AM
Just a thought...
When I installed headers, exhaust, intake into my Toyota Spyder I worked closely with TRD (Toyota Racing Division) and specifically asked them about resetting the ECU and if that is needed. They told me not to reset the ECU since it will "learn" what the proper air/fuel/timing mix should be over time with all the new parts installed. In fact, they said that if you do reset the ECU, you are putting it back to stock and everything the unit has "learned" up to that point goes away. Not very benefical.
Matt