PDA

View Full Version : torsion bar adjustment screws

unaslob
10-28-2003, 02:25 AM
i was talking to the guy who installed some of my cooler parts, and he mentioned that I can raise the front end of my truck by about 1-1.5 inches by simply jacking the front end up, and then adjusting the torsion bar screws underneath... has anyone dabbled with this or heard anything about it? una

unaslob
10-28-2003, 02:25 AM
i was talking to the guy who installed some of my cooler parts, and he mentioned that I can raise the front end of my truck by about 1-1.5 inches by simply jacking the front end up, and then adjusting the torsion bar screws underneath... has anyone dabbled with this or heard anything about it? una

KenP
10-28-2003, 02:50 AM
I did that exact samething to my Tahoe to fit marginally larger tires on it. You are limited to how much adjustment you can get based on the available threads on the bolts.

I did the search for you: http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=9396074673
If you have the air suspension you do not have to be concerned about the rear. It will self adjust.

Black Lingenfelter Lux

unaslob
10-29-2003, 12:33 AM
thanks... I do not have the air suspension...I would like to even the car out a big... I have about 1.25 inches of threading... I was thinking of bringing it up about 3/4 of an inch to see how I like it... may not make a big difference...but what the hey... una

Centerfire
10-29-2003, 11:18 AM
I have the same thing done to my 99 Suburban when we put on a 4" lift kit. We added a nother spring to the rear kit and cranked the torsion bars to bring p the front. Just bare in mind that it will stiffen up your ride.. My other opotions was to put a 3/4 ton torsion bar on the front. I don't believe that is and option for our H2's, I think they already do have the 3/4 ton torsion bar on them. Maybe one of the techies on the forum can answer this .

Mike

DURAMAX TIM
10-29-2003, 04:09 PM
I gave mine 6 turns and u could see the difference when parked next to stock ones at the last HH.

buddy
10-29-2003, 09:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DURAMAX TIM:
I gave mine 6 turns and u could see the difference when parked next to stock ones at the last HH.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did 6 turns max out the adjusting bolts? I've noticed that some H2's have more adjustment than others. Are the bolts adjusted equally, or did one side require more turns?

The reason I ask, the drivers' side on mine has far more usable adjustment remaining than the pass side. Pass side has only maybe 1-2 turns left and is still not where I would like it. I checked the ones at the dealer, and they're all different...some with more adjustment on drivers side, and some with more on the pass side. I know my dealer changed the keys in one customer's truck to increase the adjustment area.

KenP
10-29-2003, 11:09 PM
Buddy:
They are all different. It is simply because of the manufacturing-no two come off the line exactly the same. The Tahoe I mentioned had only two turns on the drivers' side but many more left on the passenger.

Now my question for those that have the air suspension:
Since the vehicle has a forward rake, if I turn the torsion bolts a few turns to even thing out abit, will the rear try to compensate to give the vehicle the factory rake? I know that if I have alot of adjustment then the rear will activate, but what if I went just an inch or so? I only have one inch to spare getting into the garage.

Black Lingenfelter Lux

Hum2
10-30-2003, 12:06 AM
Out of all you guys adjusting the torsion bar, how many of you have performed a wheel alignment...and Phil, why would that be necessary if you are just raising the body up, not messing with the camber/etc. of the individual wheels?

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net

buddy
10-30-2003, 12:16 AM
If I remember right raising can increase pos camber, lowering will increase neg camber.

The toe may change.

You may or may not need to realign the front end, but you should have checked...it may still be within specs..but not drive right.

H2Oguy
11-04-2003, 01:56 AM
I am not a mechanic but I was underneath my H2 the other day and was looking at the design there and I don't think by adjusting the torsion bars you are raising the body. You are actually rotating the "A" arm down towards the ground which in turn raises the body. But at the same time you just rotated your tire at the same time, thus requireing adjustment to the tire for proper camber.

www.h2-outfitters.com (http://www.h2-outfitters.com)

RIC-H0
11-16-2003, 03:51 AM
I think it's a wise idea to get the lifetime alignment, it'll pay off in the long run!

While adjusing your height a bit, you are also moving your toe in quite a bit.
So, be careful not to crank too many turns, or it wont be possible to have your toe in compensated for.
If you really wanna get some height from torsion, you can actually remove your torsion bars, and move over one notch (I can't remember which direction off the top of my head), but once again, you will have severe toe problems!
Just save yourself the alignment issues, and go with a reputable lift.

unaslob
11-16-2003, 05:48 PM
yeah... I know that it what is going to have to happen, one of these days. I am going to wait until my warranty runs out. the other thing is that i cant get an answer on what it is going to cost to put a good 4-5 inch lift on. i know what the kits cost, but I dont know what the installation costs..

unaslob

Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad 'tip'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX CB, Dual 4' Firestik fiberglass whips, front tinted windows, 7" Homer Simpson decal (teehee)!

KenP
11-17-2003, 02:46 AM
Glad this came back up. So I ask again if anyone knows: At what point of torsion bar lift will the rear air suspension start to activate?

Black Lingenfelter Lux

Cincinnati h2
11-17-2003, 09:33 PM
I don't have the air suspension on mine so i can't test this, but i think the easiest way to see when the self leveling starts is to take a floor jack with the truck running,then start jacking up the front until it activates. I would measure the front before starting and at the point that it activates.

Cincinnati h2
11-17-2003, 09:56 PM
Ken,
I have been thinking about this since my previous post and my thought is, The sensor that levels the rear is probably based on the rear height only and not the actual level of the truck. This has to be how it works or every time you pulled the front up on a curb the back would try to level the truck and i don't think that is the case. The air suspension should only activate if the back is lowered not if the front is raised.

DURAMAX TIM
11-18-2003, 09:40 AM
Good to hear from u again cincy.

The air ride uses the same leveling valves as semi trucks too.
It just uses the axle to frame distance at the rear axle to set height.
If u stop on a steep hill the air ride will pick up the rear some because of the weight transfer.
I never had the front checked after giving it the 5 turns, drive fine and no odd tire wear in 7000+ miles.
Soon as I can I'll twist the 04 up some.

Yell'r 04 Lux w/ air, sunroof,F&R brush bars
Traded 03 White Lux
03 GMC D/A CC SLT LB soon to be 04